Thread: DB257 Info

Default DB257 Info

I'm trying to finalize my plans for my upcoming hunt and looking for all the info I can get. Have any of you hunted the Sharatin Bay area around the 14 Apr - 28 Apr timeframe? How deep is the snow? Would you recommend snowshoes? Are there any ATV trails or terrain where an atv can be used? I am looking at using my ATV only to get me to the edge of the hunt area and then back to where I plan on parking my truck. Is there any native land between Anton Larson Road and the DB257 hunt area that requires a permit? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

I have hunted near there in the spring and I think you are going to early. Check the harvest reports and I think you will find bears are usually killed the last few days of April and in early May. Call the biologist (Larry or John) in Kodiak. Bring snowshoes, better to have them and not use them then to need them and not have them.

My original plan was to go the last week of April/first week of May. Work wouldn't allow me to go at that time though.

Congratulations on getting a tag, I had this tag 3 years ago. I went early, 18 April or so, and there was plenty of snow. I needed and used my snow shoes a good part of the time. I flew into Kizhuyak Bay(sp?) and hunted from that side of the tag area. There were bears out of the den before I arrived the tracks were plainly visible in the snow. I was able to watch at least one or two bears every day, easy to spot in the snow, just not easy to get to. This was native corps land where I camped and the fee hurt my wallet but I also had my permit checked by their security guys, so I guess it's good I had it. Anyway I took an 8ft boar with a fat skull and a decent hide, so I think going early was a good plan for me. Good luck.

the road system outa antone is largly native corp land and last i checked they don't issue permits. i'm not sure where you'd be atv'in in from though. But chances are if you are...you won't be the only one. lotta fourwheelers on the road system hitting the half dozen main trails... i have guided that tag area you have for 6 years back when i started guiding. mostly in the kizuyak area side, we never hit sharatin much because of the large lack of bears in that bay. some little ones and the occasion biggie come thru but it just wasn't worth the boat gas to go over there. kizuyak has MUCH better bear activity, alot of Afognak native corp land, last i heard a permit was about 1300 bucks for trespass? there are easments in the south end of the bay, also a guide that will be walking by your tent every day, no not me. he has 5 acres and four cabins on the east side of kizuyak south of pesicnanti (sp) point a couple miles.
    Time frame should be fine, not a huge snowfall this year so you should be ok, you could probably get away with some pretty small snowshoes if the weathers been warm, good packin' snow and early am it should be pretty set up.
    BUT it is kodiak, big bears have been killed just about everywhere on the island over the last 100 years or so...thats always hangin' out there whenever you hunt the rock. the more gung ho you hit it and serious is you the better your chances will be.
    glass HIGH...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    the road system outa antone is largly native corp land and last i checked they don't issue permits. i'm not sure where you'd be atv'in in from though. But chances are if you are...you won't be the only one. lotta fourwheelers on the road system hitting the half dozen main trails... i have guided that tag area you have for 6 years back when i started guiding. mostly in the kizuyak area side, we never hit sharatin much because of the large lack of bears in that bay. some little ones and the occasion biggie come thru but it just wasn't worth the boat gas to go over there. kizuyak has MUCH better bear activity, alot of Afognak native corp land, last i heard a permit was about 1300 bucks for trespass? there are easments in the south end of the bay, also a guide that will be walking by your tent every day, no not me. he has 5 acres and four cabins on the east side of kizuyak south of pesicnanti (sp) point a couple miles.
    Time frame should be fine, not a huge snowfall this year so you should be ok, you could probably get away with some pretty small snowshoes if the weathers been warm, good packin' snow and early am it should be pretty set up.
    BUT it is kodiak, big bears have been killed just about everywhere on the island over the last 100 years or so...thats always hangin' out there whenever you hunt the rock. the more gung ho you hit it and serious is you the better your chances will be.
    glass HIGH...

Is that $1300 if you get caught tresspassing or $1300 to use their land as a thoroughfare? Also, are there any ATV trails over Sharatin Mnt? I'm looking at the Elbow Creek valley.

google earth might show a atv trail over the top if its there...but i've never heard of one. 1300 for a permit...usually its around that or double if you get caught..they don't want to prosecute, they want to fine.....money talks.
    think of it this way....theres how many tags for that area in the spring 9? or something i can't remember. your looking at the closest easiest/cheapest access. typically it is a poor way to start a kodiak brown bear hunt. the guide in kizuyak smokes bears every spring, great area. on the same hand...sharatin is much much slower...not sure how bad you want a bear, if it was me i'd dive in and go after it. drop a couple extra hundred bucks, fly in, use the easement camp back in on state land and avoid the trespass permit. hunting off a atv trail close to town just isn't for me.
    then again..you might drop a whopper first day out eatin' the seat on your wheeler!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I am not hunting FROM my 4-wheeler. I am simply trying to use it to get me close to the EDGE of the hunting area. I'm not trying to be cheap, but I take pride in being successful by hunting hard and using my own resources to do it. Not opposed to using other resources, just like the challenge of doing it on my own. Thanks for everyone who has provided inputs.

Congrats on landing the tag! Here's a link the story of my hunt last spring in DB257:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...rown-Bear-hunt

It doesn't really answer your questions, but maybe there's a nugget to two that will help you out. As you can see i was successful and bagged an 8' boar. Small for Kodiak, but, by golly, he's my Kodiak Brown Bear!

Have a great and safe hunt!
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.