Thread: can salmon and airlines ?

Default can salmon and airlines ?

Looking at bring some can salmon (in jars) to lower 48 and not sure where to post this, can I put them a cooler with frozen fish and will they be ok for flying. Thanks

You better call the TSA. My broinlaw took a couple of jars and put them in his luggage. When he got to Montana, they were missing. Didn't leave a note or anything. Not sure if it was banned or just plain theft!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by summitx View Post
    Looking at bring some can salmon (in jars) to lower 48 and not sure where to post this, can I put them a cooler with frozen fish and will they be ok for flying. Thanks
    I mail out Jarred Canned Fish to my parents every year as well as the frozen fish. The way I send out the jarred fish is to put each jar in a ziplock bag and wrap each jar in bubble wrap and pack in a box ,the largest priority mail box they have which holds 9 pints. I line the bottom of the box with bubble wrap, place the jars in the box and put bubble wrap scraps between the jars in the corners to keep it tight and secure and put one more sheet of bubble wrap on top and seal the box. I have never had any jars break and I can send out a box for 12 bucks or so. I am sure you could pack a box the same way for taking on the plane, but I would use a tougher box or cooler as the airline guys are pretty hard on boxes at times. I personally would not put my jars with my frozen fish in the same cooler. If your fish is frozen and your jars are not, your not doing you frozen fish any favors. You want to keep everything tight to prevent movement for breakage. If your frozen fish is vaccum sealed, wrap each package in newspaper before placing in your cooler. This does two things for you. Added insulation and abrasion protection from having the packages rub together possibly breaking a seal of your fish. I pack my box of frozen fish tight and again line the top and bottom of the box with newspaper. I mail out the fish to my parents in Maine on two day UPS and have never had an issue with fish thawing out. I also never send out frozen fish in the summer months. Good Luck on what ever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    You better call the TSA. My broinlaw took a couple of jars and put them in his luggage. When he got to Montana, they were missing. Didn't leave a note or anything. Not sure if it was banned or just plain theft!!!
    I would say Theft! There is nothing illegal about jarred fish in a cargo hold.

thanks everybody I will give it a try

Everyone seems to have shifted to jars in recent years... we always used the salmon cans... When my Dad was alive and living in Calif.. we used to regularly send him smoked canned pinks... I could drop off a small box at the post office at the Anchorage airport on my way to work at 07:00 and sometimes he'd get them the next day.. He shared his fish with the postman that delivered his mail so I think he may have gotten special attention... /John

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Everyone seems to have shifted to jars in recent years... we always used the salmon cans... When my Dad was alive and living in Calif.. we used to regularly send him smoked canned pinks... I could drop off a small box at the post office at the Anchorage airport on my way to work at 07:00 and sometimes he'd get them the next day.. He shared his fish with the postman that delivered his mail so I think he may have gotten special attention... /John
    I prefer jars for several reasons. Reuseable, don't need a special sealer, can see your food in the pantry. Don't have to read labels.

Chico
    those are certainly valid reasons... We seem to have gotten away from canning fish since the invention of the vacuum sealers.. Plus our kids are grown and gone so we don't have to put up as much food for just the 2 of us.... except when they all come home at the same time, it would be nice to have a couple cases of canned Red to feed them..../John

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Chico
    those are certainly valid reasons... We seem to have gotten away from canning fish since the invention of the vacuum sealers.. Plus our kids are grown and gone so we don't have to put up as much food for just the 2 of us.... except when they all come home at the same time, it would be nice to have a couple cases of canned Red to feed them..../John
    We also vacuum seal most of our fish. Most of the canned fish is for a quick meal. Salmon spread sandwich or halibut dip is quick when you get the hankerin for it. Also, the wife loves Halibut tacos so a quick jar of salmon with a little taco seasoning and a little heat makes them up quick in a pinch. They also make great Christmas Gifts.

Homeland security has been briefed to inform the State on this very thing. I'll be monitoring this thread to make sure none of this jarred fish was caught illegally.... i.e. Personal Use
    PU fish must only be consumed in this state, if your relatives and friends would like wild Alaska salmon they'll have to be legally obtained. We're working on legislation in conjunction w/ TSA and the FDA that will make anybody down south w/ salmon will have to provide proof of origin... a little FYI for ya

FB, all those fish these people are talking about is from the Russian River and Klutina rivers!!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Homeland security has been briefed to inform the State on this very thing. I'll be monitoring this thread to make sure none of this jarred fish was caught illegally.... i.e. Personal Use
    PU fish must only be consumed in this state, if your relatives and friends would like wild Alaska salmon they'll have to be legally obtained. We're working on legislation in conjunction w/ TSA and the FDA that will make anybody down south w/ salmon will have to provide proof of origin... a little FYI for ya
    You can be a real ***** when you want to be with your insinuations. FYI my parents like Silvers more then any other fish. They are 83 years old and fish is best thing for them. Farmed Salmon is about all you can get on the East Coast. I love my parents and take care of them every chance I can and want the best for them. I spend alot of time in Seward in July at Pony, Agnes Coves etc... So take your Commercial Fisherman attitude and allegations somewhere else. PM on the way!

I would just box the caned fish and ship it fedex, just pack it well so the guys don't damage it.