Thread: Koyukuk! Okay so how does this work?

Cool Koyukuk! Okay so how does this work?

OKAY Guys Whats the Deal? I did what I was Supposed to and put in for my DM828 tag which I was lucky enough to receive but anyone hunting with me that doesn't have a special "Registration Tag" can't hunt moose in that area Which I understand perfectly. What I don't get is that my Hunting partner has to get his Subsistance tag to Hunt the Registration Hunt in my Hunt area at either "Hughes or Huslia and that location will Not be decided until
    Aug 31st" Four days and 125 River miles apart from one another? And they may still not be able to obtain a tag over the counter if ADFG limits them? Is this for real??? Fish and Game won't tell us what town or Village they are going to issue Registration Hunt tags from until after Aug 31st For a September 5th opener?? New at this I guess? Just tring to figure it out. Whats the Real Story??

I'm not sure you have that right. Last year My partner drew DM828 and when we checked in at the check station just up river from the village of Koyukuk they were issuing subsistence tags there.

Now, having a boat that will haul the gas required and two HUGE Koyukuk bulls back is another kettle of fish.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Man stid2677.. Thats a Nice Picture right There! And thats kinda what I thought it would be. Get your Subsistance tag on the in at the Check Station if needed. But I was recently at Fish and Game Dept. and I was told and I was refered to the new Regs and it stated that it would not be Decided where the Subsistance Tags would be distributed from for that area either Hughes or Huslia until Aug 31st. Which really limits my Hunting partner choices. Maybe I misunderstood. I have seen your videos and Documentery from your last trip up river
    "Awesome Job by the Way" you think a 21'Thunder jet is getting too Heavy to navigate??

There are a few "speed bumps" up that way that make it tough for the "Mother Ships". A good friend would go as moral support and maybe a quarter or two. Sure makes it sooooo much easier. Them be some fat moose!!!!! We sure could not have hauled two. I estimate Tim's moose meat, cape and horns at approximately 800 lbs. You multiply that x2 and add a couple people and gear with fuel and it adds up quick. We did a lot of "Barging" pushing water without getting on step. That trip is all about logistics.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

They run ocean boats with props and barges up the Koyukuk - A jet boat of any size should not a problem. We routinely carry 2 moose out of the area per boat but it does take the logistics Steve mentioned to get them back to the bridge in good shape. I don't believe there is any chance they will not issue permits at the check station - You have the villages of Koyukuk and Galena that have to get permits as well as those of us traveling in.

I surely donít know as much about what trip as someone like rambling raven! We have gone down there the last two years, and will be making the trip again this year. This is a very fun trip with out getting a moose, lots to see and do along the way.

Last year we took two moose, my wife and son, all our gear and two labs all the way back up to the bridge in our sport jon with out any problems, but thatís a amazing boat! Only thing we give away was the ribs!

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    They run ocean boats with props and barges up the Koyukuk - A jet boat of any size should not a problem. We routinely carry 2 moose out of the area per boat but it does take the logistics Steve mentioned to get them back to the bridge in good shape. I don't believe there is any chance they will not issue permits at the check station - You have the villages of Koyukuk and Galena that have to get permits as well as those of us traveling in.
    I fully agree. If they (F&G) changed things the way AK SPORTSMAN says, I think there would probably be a major uprising in Galena and Koyukuk. But anythings possible I guess.

Cut and pasted from the regulations. There should be two check stations. One in Huslia or Hughes and another one established by the department.

One bull by permit available at a check station established by the department, Huslia OR Hughes beginning Aug 31.

You are Absolutly right Steve, A good freind would go for moral support especially with a quarter or two thrown in. I almost talked myself into booking a transport out of Galena but after talking with you guys that have done the trip and seeing all the pics , Im taking my boat for sure and going for it. Just need to do my home work. I sure appreciate and value all of the advice and help from the Forum. Thanks Guys!!!