Thread: Info on Buffalo Bore ammo

Default Info on Buffalo Bore ammo

I've shot bears with my bow and my 300 WSM, but I'm going to doing a grizzly hunt out of Bethel and would like to use my 45/70. Does anyone have input on quality and preferred load. I'll be shooting a Marlin 1895 classic.

Default Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by seaniffd View Post
    I've shot bears with my bow and my 300 WSM, but I'm going to doing a grizzly hunt out of Bethel and would like to use my 45/70. Does anyone have input on quality and preferred load. I'll be shooting a Marlin 1895 classic.
    I got some 2nd or 3rd hand info from a guy who said that there's a gunsmith here in my town who's had to replace 2 tubes on 45-70 guide guns because of that ammo. Now I trust this guy, but you know how rumors go. I personally like Corbon (HC) ammuntion for my 45-70, and 45LC. Just my opinion.
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

Are you saying they had to replace barrels or magazine tubes?

I haven't heard of any catastrophic failures using Buffalo Bore ammunition, but I know the owner, Tim Sundles, was involved in testing how pointed a projectile could be used under heavy recoil and get secondary ignition in a magazine tube. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding somewhere down the line and that was what your friend heard. Sundles did get some cartridges to go off with round nosed bullets under heavy loads in tube fed magazine rifles like the Marlin 1895. Sundles only uses WFN and LFN gas checked hard cast lead bullets in his ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by DPhillips View Post
    Are you saying they had to replace barrels or magazine tubes?

I haven't heard of any catastrophic failures using Buffalo Bore ammunition, but I know the owner, Tim Sundles, was involved in testing how pointed a projectile could be used under heavy recoil and get secondary ignition in a magazine tube. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding somewhere down the line and that was what your friend heard. Sundles did get some cartridges to go off with round nosed bullets under heavy loads in tube fed magazine rifles like the Marlin 1895. Sundles only uses WFN and LFN gas checked hard cast lead bullets in his ammunition.
    Suposedly, had to replace the Mag. tube. My friend works in a gun shop...so I kinda trust his opinion when it comes to most gun related stuff. But like you said and I stated before...could all be a misunderstanding. There used to be some good info on corbon's ammo at www.gunblast.com .
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

Quote Originally Posted by Gshepherd View Post
    Suposedly, had to replace the Mag. tube. My friend works in a gun shop...so I kinda trust his opinion when it comes to most gun related stuff. But like you said and I stated before...could all be a misunderstanding. There used to be some good info on corbon's ammo at www.gunblast.com .
    If it happened, it happened. Just because I haven't heard it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Buyer beware. I have used Sundles ammunition in revolvers before, but never in a lever action rifle. I have shot some CorBon in revolvers as well. It's good stuff, too.

Glad I'm rolling my own ammunition now...

Default Buffalo Bore

I use Buffalo Bore ammo in my Marlin GG and have never had any problems with it. Been using the 430gr. and it's blown through moose and bear. Neither animal went more then 20 yards, black bear was dead on the spot. Plenty enough horsepower for griz.

Default 45/70

I've never used buffalo bore ammo but I've used the Garrett hammerheads and I've run quite a few of them through my Marlin without any problems nor have I ever heard of anyone having to replace the mag tube and these Marlins are quite popular loaded with these garretts and bufalo bore ammo so it must of been an Isolated incicdent. I would suggest that if your going to be shooting stout loads you replace your factory ejector with the WWG bear proof ejector. Good luck on your hunt..............

Use Hornady's new LEVERevolution ammo, it's ballistically superior to the prevoius offerings. 3" high at 100 yds and only 4.1" low at 200 yds!!!

They only offer a single 325gr bullet currently.

I would check them out.

Default Buffalo Bore

I normally reload my ammo, but have shot many of these Buffalo Bore rounds through my Marlin Guide Gun with absolutely no issues. Haven't heard of anyone else I know shooting them that have any problems. Maybe he had a defective rifle. It happens.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    Use Hornady's new LEVERevolution ammo, it's ballistically superior to the prevoius offerings. 3" high at 100 yds and only 4.1" low at 200 yds!!!

They only offer a single 325gr bullet currently.

I would check them out.

Doesn't pack the same punch as the a Corbon 460grn HC or a 500grn Buff Bore. That Hornady would be (in my opinion) ok for black bear, Bou, blacktails etc. but for Big Browns you'll want more lead. Just my opinion take it or leave it... Cabela's does have that special scope designed for that Hornady ammo though, kinda cool.

I've had no problems with Buffalo Bore ammo, either. I mainly use my own handloads though, 440 grain Cast Performance LBT LFNGC, CCI 200 and 44.5gr of RL-7. It's a pretty stout load, and I wouldn't try it in anything but a Marlin. When I chonoed it, was getting 1875fps out of my Guide Gun.

Default LeverEvolution vs. Buff Bore

I've used the Hornady on a cow elk with excellent results, but I tend to agree with the idea that more is, well, more! That SST jacket is just too thin, if that's what there using. Thanks for the great info on the Buff Bore. I was thinking the 350 gr. JFN. What do you think? Will the 405 expand too quickly?