Thread: Backpacks- another beat to death thread, but here goes.

Default Backpacks- another beat to death thread, but here goes.

Since my backpacking tent thread yielded so much good info I hadn't considered, I'll try this one as well.

What is the preferred pack type for you sheep hunting folks? .... I've got a few choices including a MR6500, a couple of freighter frames/ drybag combos, frame/drybag/daypack, etc. I've used them all successfully on trips of shorter duration on flatter ground and for hauling heavier stuff shorter distances. I've gotta say the rigid frame carries heavy stuff really well but hangs on everything.

I've had more than one person suggest a good frame with a drybag bungeed on over taking a more conventional type pack citing waterproofness and overall weight as the main reason. I like the MR6500 but 10lbs empty has me wondering if there isn't maybe a better way...

So many choices!! Arc-Teryx Bora, Osprey Aether <sp?>, Kifaru Long hunter, Barneys freighter w/ pinnacle or hunter, MR Nice 6500, McHale packs "INEX".....

I don't care for the dry bag deal, I would rather go with a pack bag if I was going to take a frame pack. Most of my gear can get wet so it isn't an issue. I take a sea to summit event compression sack for the stuff that needs to be dry, besides a light weight pack cover can also act as a mini bivi shelter in an emergency. I like to have my stuff packed up to where I can get to it and I just toss the clothing stuff sack into the tent along with the sleeping bag sack and pad then I am good to go. A conpactor bag and high quality pack material will be stronger and lighter than a dry bag in many cases. Works great for packing meat too!

Here's my idea of a good sheep hunting pack...

6500-7500 cubes that can handle 120lbs and the frame won't buckle when it's loaded heavy. It needs to fit YOU properly. That means it will have a good belt, adjustable straps/harness. It should'nt weigh more than 8lbs. Pick your brand, internal or external frame. Mine is a Kelty 50th Anniversary pack they made for 2 years that is a morph between internal and external frame. It has an hourglass shaped, contoured frame, mesh backing that the belt hooks too. Bag slips over the top. Adjustable harness, etc. 7500 cubes, 7lbs. A little more maybe now that I upgraded belt. It holds the load close to the body and allows good body flexation. Don't be afraid to get something and customize it. I added a different belt to mine and did some strategic sewing in spots to beef it up. I've been on several long walkin hunts and hauled a few sheep (and gear) out with it and know I've been over 120lbs a few times. You won't hear about this pack much but I love mine.

Lots of specific packs you can choose from that will work. I'm sure we'll see and hear about them in this thread That's half the fun, posting pics and bring back memories!!
    Last edited by Snyd; 03-11-2011 at 18:18.

+1 guys.
    Point is everybody has different tastes, but fit is paramount as is the ability to adapt.

I'm liking that new Kifaru ultralight at 3 lbs but wonder about the fit....I love less weight!
    Proud to be an American!

After 6 years of sheep hunting I don't pretend to know it all, I have however come to know what works for me. My days of hauling 120 lbs loads are over, so I have no need for a giant Barney's Pack. Barney's are without question awesome packs, they simply are to much pack for me. Over the years I have gotten more minimalist. I do admit to chasing the holy grail of lightness. This is a photo of my new Kifaru KU 5200 with an E&E pack, belt pouch and water bottle carrier. The pack empty with accessories weighs 3lbs 10oz as in the picture 30lbs. That is an entire sheep camp with tent, spotter, tripod, and sat phone and all my personal gear. I would share either the tent or spotter and sat phone with my partner. I carry about 1.5lbs of food per day. I should be under 40 lbs going in this year. If successful I will leap from my sheep and gear back to the air strip.

Figure out what you want to carry, what kind of terrain you will be carrying it over and buy a pack that works best.
    Frame packs are awesome for carry heavy loads over open ground, but I found they suck when trying to sneak through thick brush as they seem to snag on everything.

I have been using a Kifaru G2 LongHunter Rendezvous and found it be by all I might need for other than backpack trips. It is nice because you can remove the bag and use it as a hauler if you want.

Happy spending!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    let us know about the durability of that material.... i like to sit down and take breaks staying in my pack, thus sittin' and rubbing on shale, devils club, alder, etc., etc.......... nice looking pack though...

Chuck, the bottom of the KU is cordura. My plan is to keep all my must haves in the E&E pack and just take it off and go. It has shoulder straps and should work great for keep a few items handy.

Steve
    Founding Member

Chuck, the bottom of the KU is cordura. My plan is to keep all my must haves in the E&E pack and just take it off and go. It has shoulder straps and should work great for keep a few items handy.

Steve
    Looks like a nice pack !!!..... does it have a rifle holder? next time you take it out, to test it out, get a picture of it on you, I'd like to see the straps and hip belt.....might think about one for the wife too...

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Looks like a nice pack !!!..... does it have a rifle holder? next time you take it out, to test it out, get a picture of it on you, I'd like to see the straps and hip belt.....might think about one for the wife too...
    I am still working on the budget for this year but this pack is in the running for the wife. I would also like to see pics of it in action. It doesn't appear to have the separate bag/frame like your other Kifaru pack, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am still working on the budget for this year but this pack is in the running for the wife. I would also like to see pics of it in action. It doesn't appear to have the separate bag/frame like your other Kifaru pack, does it?
    The KU packs do not come off the frame like the G2 packs. I will have to try to take some photos with the timer or remote as right now the wife is deployed and my Mom, well she struggles with anything electronic.

I did get a KU gunbearer with it, I really like having my rifle handy and my hands free. I have shot game because those I have been with could not get their rifle out of their pack before the animal moved from sight. They are also waterproof so no need for a raincover.

Here is a link to Kifaru's Youtube, they have about all their stuff on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_dPGdBWzrQ
    Founding Member

This is a photo of my new Kifaru KU 5200 with an E&E pack, belt pouch and water bottle carrier. The pack empty with accessories weighs 3lbs 10oz as in the picture 30lbs. That is an entire sheep camp with tent, spotter, tripod, and sat phone and all my personal gear. I would share either the tent or spotter and sat phone with my partner. I carry about 1.5lbs of food per day. I should be under 40 lbs going in this year. If successful I will leap from my sheep and gear back to the air strip.
    Come on now steve. 40 lbs plus rifle and water will still get ya to 50 Looking forward to getting mine in for sure for summer backpacking trips and take 7 lbs off my wife's back while hunting over her current pack.

I have narrowed my backpacks down to just two - a Gregory Denali Pro for winter and big mountain expeditions and a Barney's freighter frame with either a Hunter or Pinnacle bag for all hunting trips. I have found these packs cover all my needs. The best part being that they are available for purchase locally at Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking and Barneys in Anchorage (the two stores that provide 90% of my gear). Great to frequent a small business where you can get personalized service. Top shelf gear from two family owned small businesses. TS

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII