Thread: Private Property Map?

Default Private Property Map?

Hey All,

Is there a resource any of you know about where a guy can locate private and public land locations along the Yentna and Susitna rivers? I really am concerned that I don't hunt the wrong spots this moose season. I want the adventure and could use the meat, but I don't think I need to be prosecuted for trespassing....

Check with BLM, they would have that info. I am looking into a spot to set up a mining camp and they have that, so I would assume they would have what your looking for.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

yep... go to the Mat-Su Borough page, It's been awhile since I did it, but poke around in either Subdivisions or Taxes... Your going to be surprised at what is actually private property on the Yentna river... from the mouth clear up to about Skwentna is pretty well claimed.../John

If you've got access to GIS, you can download parcel data from the Mat-Su Borough page and then play around with making your own maps. I think you can download it in .kml or .kmz file formats to display in Google Earth as well. I'll confirm that for you...
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

BLM AK Spatial Data Managment System
    Not up to date as other sources, but lists legal easment trails and federal lands that have been conveyed.

Alaska Mapper
    AK DNR's GIS site. Does a decent job of showing legal land ownership through out the state.

Mat Su GIS
    MatSu GIS viewer. They also have published maps through other websites.

It appears that the Mat-Su Borough does not offer a KML version for download, but you can create one easily enough if you take a notion.

1. Use the link above to access the Mat-Su Borough's GIS data clearinghouse.
    2. Download the parcels shapefile.
    3. Display the shapefile in ArcMap. Save the shapefile as a layer file. Use the ArcToolbox/Conversion Tools/To KML/Layer to KML tool to create a file that can be displayed in Google Earth.

How does one go about attaching a regular old file to a post on here? I just created a .kmz version of the Mat-Su parcels.

under manage attachments in the advanced reply screen you have the following valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip

Save it as txt with directions to save as something else when downloading might be a work around.

Awesome. Thanks AK Ray.

Good news. After much trial and error, I've figured out a way to display all the private parcels in Google Earth. I downloaded the shapefile from the Mat-Su Borough site and opened it in ArcMap, then I converted the file to .kmz, just as I mentioned earlier. Unfortunately, the polygon shapefile is much too large to attach to a forum post on here, so I went back and did the same thing with the point shapefile. If you download my .zip file, you'll need to unzip its contents, then open the .kmz file in Google Earth. Each point feature corresponds to a private parcel of land, which I was able to query in the attribute table of the shapefile in ArcMap. I only chose those that were listed as "private" or "native corporation" as there are over 100,000 parcels in Mat-Su Borough.

parcelpt_private.zip

Take a look at it and tell me what you think. If I could come up with a way to compress the polygons, it would be a much better graphic representation of each parcel. It's just too big for the site policies that are in place.

Cool, Thumbs up for that Skinny D!

Did that file open up ok in Google Earth? I wish I had a little more flexibility with the file upload because the polygon layer is quite a bit more descriptive. Most of those dots correspond to 40 acre squares, but some of them are much bigger tracts of land. It should at least give you an idea of where private parcels are generally located, even if it doesn't show any boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Did that file open up ok in Google Earth? I wish I had a little more flexibility with the file upload because the polygon layer is quite a bit more descriptive. Most of those dots correspond to 40 acre squares, but some of them are much bigger tracts of land. It should at least give you an idea of where private parcels are generally located, even if it doesn't show any boundaries.
    Yeah the file opened up just fine. Yeah, while not showing specific boundaries its nice to have a general idea