Thread: ptarmigan?

Default ptarmigan?

was wondering if any of you guys know of any areas near cooperlanding that i guy could get into a few ptarmigan. Dont mind hiking a few miles to get there.

Soldonta, Alaska

Default Birds

Go up Fuller Lakes trail. I used to shoot a few up there. Also suprise creek trail across the river from Jims Landing is good. Need to get across the river. Once you get above treeline at both places you should find some birds. BC

this post is in error
    Last edited by AKJOB; 02-27-2007 at 21:20. Reason: posted reply to wrong thread

Default trying to edit/delete this reply...not a tech guy..

not much of a tech guy, how does this edit function work?

Almost any mountain that peaks above treeline will have ptarmigan. I hike a lot more than I hunt and more often that not I flush ptarmigan when I hike any peak above treeline. I am not familiar with the Cooper Landing area but I almost guarantee that if you hike above treeline you will see ptarmigan. (note, I said almost, not definetely. I have been skunked enough times going for ptarmigan that I never say always.)

Central peninsula, between the K-rivers

Default Slaughter Gulch

That is up behind Wildman's. There is a lake up there and some nice country, but I haven't been up there in the winter. I know there are pt.s up there.