Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tsunami WATCH

Default Tsunami WATCH

Stay safe folks in Homer/Kodiak
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

3:42 am. Local Hawaiian time; nothing to report from Kauai.
    Jim

No real damage observed in Adak, AK. But fueling of vessels have stopped after crews report the water rising and falling about 5 to 6 ft every 15 minutes or so. That seems consistent with the long periods in between Tsunami waves. So its not huge, but imagine how much energy it takes to lift an entire bay of water by several ft. Anyone at sea level should at least be aware that something could happen. The first wave was supposed to Hit Adak around 12:30 Alaska Standard time so there are still some effects.

fear tactics.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Wow, I feel sorry for the people in Japan, they realy got slammed.

Given the fact that I can pee off my deck and hit ocean on a high tide, I appreciate the fact that they are willing to give warnings when stuff like this happens.

270ti
    remind me never to go swimming off your deck......
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

One interesting aspect I found on West Coast & Alaska's Tsunami Warning Center's site http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/faq/frequently.php
    is what to do if you are at sea when an event occurs. I often wondered...
    From FAQ's:
    In deep water (greater than 600 feet), tsunamis are rarely over 3 feet and will not be noticed by ships due to their long period (time between crests).
    Mariners in deep water (600 feet or greater) should stay at sea.
    Those in shallow water or harbors should move to deep water if there is enough time and weather conditions are suitable.

Yep. You can be in deep water and have a tsunami wave pass you by at hundreds of miles per hour, and at a height of only a few inches or feet at the most, and never notice it. It's not until it gets near land and the sea floor rises up that things become bad.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    fear tactics.
    Tell that to the people who lost there boats in Brookings, Cresent City and Santa Cruz.

Supposedly this is the tsunami effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Tell that to the people who lost there boats in Brookings, Cresent City and Santa Cruz.
    With the first wave watch 12:00 am akst those folks had plenty of time to get those boats to deep water or out of the water. Not much sympathy here.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

FRED BEAR AND JUST A LITTLE WAVE

If you are bowhunter you know the name. Fred and I were personal friends during the 70's and he was a guest at my wedding. Florida is hardly near the Pacific Rim, yet when Fred and his daughter were out walking the beach on the gulf coast where he had a condo, the two of them were picked up by a mere two footer and were cast into the sea oats and nasty sand spurs and were literally swept into the bushes and Florida scrub.

Fred was so steamed he sold his condo, and redecided to contruct his museum not on the gulf coast but inland hundreds of miles away.

Such was the surge that carried Fred away years ago...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Not much sympathy here.
    I am not saying you should or shouldn't have. I am saying that those warnings should be taken seriously. The media over hypes Tsunami warnings but people who choose to live in possible impact zones should still be prepared. I wouldn't call a Tsunami warning a fear tactic that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    I am not saying you should or shouldn't have. I am saying that those warnings should be taken seriously. The media over hypes Tsunami warnings but people who choose to live in possible impact zones should still be prepared. I wouldn't call a Tsunami warning a fear tactic that's all.
    Many people were told before Hurricane katrina that a storm with the lowest barometric pressure in recorded history was on its way and they should leave. Many were stubborn and didn't and now they are still waaa waaing about it.

My comment on 'fear tactics' was more towards AK.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    With the first wave watch 12:00 am akst those folks had plenty of time to get those boats to deep water or out of the water. Not much sympathy here.
    So you think that every person who had a boat was able to get to their boat? Nobody could have been out of town on business or vacation? Maybe they all deserved it, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    So you think that every person who had a boat was able to get to their boat? Nobody could have been out of town on business or vacation? Maybe they all deserved it, huh?
    If my boat was in Seward I'd either have a way to deal with it or real good "act of god" insurance. It's not like this has never happened before. The people that really have my thoughts and prayer are the poor folks in Japan they had no warning my goodness what a wave. When I saw that video at 1:00 am of the devestation in Japan there was hours of notice in Cresent City which is in the perfect spot to get hammered by these types of waves.

If it happened in florida those people don't expect this but southern Oregon and northern California they know it's coming just a matter of when.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

What you have written infuriates me an frankly makes you out to be an inbecile.
    You think all those people were up with you at 1 AM?
    Insurance ~ you are living in fairy tail world!
    Shame on you...

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Shame on you...
    S**t happens deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Shame on you...
    People Running a boat without insurance and I'm the imbecile? You must have talked to my first wife.
    Unknown author

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast