Thread: New Folding Kayak

Default New Folding Kayak

I am looking into getting a folding kayak for the ease of travel in a bush plane. I am looking at an Advanced Elements Expedition model folding/inflatable kayak. Anyone have any information on this craft?

Default Ally canoe

The only thing I know about folding kayaks is they dont carry much gear. I bought an Ally (folding canoe) a few years ago and love it. Just thought I would mention it in case you hadnt seen them. Made in Norway and incredible boats. You can see them on the below site if interested. Sorry but I have not heard of that brand folding kayak. Only heard of Kleppers. Heard they are awesome, but expensive. I decided on the Ally canoe due to the fact that it can carry 800 lbs and I was buying it for extended fly fishing trips in Alaska. It depends on what you want to use the boat for I guess.

http://www.fujitana.com/products/canoe/ally.asp

Default Check out Feathercraft

My wife and I bought two of the expedition model Feathercraft (made in Canada) many years ago. We have used them extensively cruising the coast of Baja California, Mexico, the Ammasalik fjord of East Greenland, and the Lynn Canal in SE Alaska. We are very happy with them. They collapse to fit the cabin of my C172 and are acceptable as checked baggage on airlines. They are very easy to travel with and take up very little space at home.

I know this does not answer your question but it does give you something else to consider.

Dan

Default it looks like a Stearns

It depends what you want it for. I don't think you could carry more than breakfast and lunch in it. Look at just the sit-on-tops or the Feathercraft, both of which would carry more gear. The feathercraft is warmer, carries more, has a deeper draft, is less affected by wind and waves and costs the most. The strictly inflatables are opposite but still very rugged (nice for rivers/creeks). The advanced elements looks like a compromise on all but has least capacity. The canoe looks neat too but I don't canoe. Whatever you get, buy the paddle separate--a good one makes a BIG difference and the one with adv elements is flimsy. Good Luck

Appreciate the input. I have a Prijon Kodiak currently. I am wanting to do up to week-long trips and also something to fly in easy for lakes here in the southeast(hard to bushwack a path w/ a 17 ft. boat). I am surprised at the feed-back in regards to the capacity of folding kayaks. I will re-check on the Advanced kayak, as I want to carry more than breakfast and lunch!

Default Foldlite

You might want to look at these also www.foldlite.com

Default Folbot

Check out Folbots too. I've had 4 of them over the years and never been dissappointed. You'll pay way less than for a similar size Klepper.

http://www.folbot.com/

Default Another vote for feathercraft

I've been kayaking for a long time, used or been on trips with just about every major brand. In my opinion, feathercraft has the best folding kayak. They aren't the least expensive though.

Default Sportsman show

Can't wait for the sportsman show this spring.
    I saw several last year that looked quite nice, I like the new designs and also like the type that intigrated the Air Chambers within a foldup Kayak.
    I will be better versed on the Kayaks this year,
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I have two of the advanced elements kayaks: a single and the single/double convertable. The single is a lot of fun on rivers, a spray skirt keeps the water out nicely. There is about 1 square foot of storage space behind the seat (if you're lucky), so this is only a day tripper.

The convertable double is nice for two, but kind of heavy: 60lbs. This is the boat my wife and I paddle around in together when exploring PWS in our Searunner. We don't go very far in it, as its not very fast compared to a hard shell and would be liability if the wind picked up. When arranged as a single seater, you could probably set it up for a week-long trip with gear.

I wouldn't recommend an inflatable for a long paddling trip. All the inflatables I've seen have the seat on the floor, unlike a hard shell that has a slightly elevated seat. The elevated seats make for a more comfortable ride. I can't handle more than a few hours in the Advanced Elements boats before my butt goes numb.

Quality of construction on these boats is exceptional for the price. You really can't go wrong. They're quick to setup and very durable. If I were to do it again however, I might take a closer look at the Aire open top inflatables, but then again they cost twice as much. Good luck!

Default Thanks Everyone

I appreciate all of the feed-back I have received from everyone. It appears I need to save my pennies up for a Feathercraft for my plans.

Default Good choice!

I know they are expensive - as is everything of quality. If you are half as pleased as my wife and I are with ours you will be a very happy paddler. It looks as though we will be taking ours on another Baja California trip this winter. With this trip, we will have paddled nearly the entire Sea of Cortez coast in our Feathercrafts. Let us know how it works out for you.
    Dan

I (heart) kleppers
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I have a Klepper two seater and using it solo, will hold a lot of gear. I also have a sailing rig that is a kick!!! It is a good boat but also expensive. J.