Thread: Good lake in Anchorage to take a kid to

Default Good lake in Anchorage to take a kid to

what is a good lake in Anchorage to bring a 8 year old ice fishing. Thanks

Sand Lake off of 80th.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I second Sand Lake. A co-worker of mine had a buddy from out of state up here this week. I sent him to the access off 80th avenue to fish. They caught almost 60 fish in a few others there on Tuesday. A lot of small fish but some decent ones up to 16 inches. The single eggs, balls of fire worked well. Shrimp is always a good option also.

Here come the Asians...lol...WTG

if you are taking a kid fishing i say that you bring them to delong because if the black fish that you catch, out of there just happens to end up on the ice away from your fishing hole there is a willing eagle that just happens to love black fish so it is always pretty cool to see him pick up fish up of the ice

little campbell/beer can lake has been producing very well for me latley last time out we hooked into 2 16inch plus char. we had trouble keeping the dink rainbows off our line.
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Sand can be a good one...but as a testament to the hit and miss of fishing, we went there today for about 4 hours and only caught two small rainbows. Not even very many nibbles (using bait). The ice was cracking like crazy this afternoon. Even though you know it's still plenty safe, it's always a little unnerviing to hear/feel a big crack and see the water in your hole start going up&down.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Sand can be a good one...but as a testament to the hit and miss of fishing, we went there today for about 4 hours and only caught two small rainbows. Not even very many nibbles (using bait). The ice was cracking like crazy this afternoon. Even though you know it's still plenty safe, it's always a little unnerviing to hear/feel a big crack and see the water in your hole start going up&down.
    MRFISH, how thick was the ice?
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    MRFISH, how thick was the ice?
    I'd have to guess that it was close to 3 feet thick. I didn't sink any new holes...just re-drilled out a few old ones. I watched one guy with a power auger sink a few new holes and he seemed to be close to bottoming out without an extension...but he still had a little room to spare.

i fished sand lake yesterday and it was a miss, only caught one 4inch grayling. we fished for a good four hours. not my recomendation of a lake for a kid, sand is just to inconsistent.
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

A grayling in Sand Lake?did you get a pic. Didnt think they stocked those there.

are there any fish in that little lake over next to deweys on king street?
    Justin

Ive seen sucker fish,and other lil minnows jumping in the lake in summer. I heard there was pike in there also. Dont know if its a stocked lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventures View Post
    are there any fish in that little lake over next to deweys on king street?
    That's Taku Lake, it's stocked with coho fry from the schools.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly