Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DS 102 Tok Sheep

Default DS 102 Tok Sheep

I was a lucky winner for Tok this year and now Im looking for anyone else who may have won it and is looking for a partner. If anyone is interested in going in let me know. I plan on flying in as of now but that could change. I have already contacted a couple air charters and this year prices are ranging about 8-900. And unless Im looking at the regs wrong, the area I plan on going is open to Caribou and Grizz the same time. So if anyone without a sheep tag wants to go there are options for taking other game.

nwf99 PM Sent

I can vouch for Down Range. Solid hunter. Good gear. Good attitude. Good experience level! If he ever gets out of that wheelchair he'll make a decent hunting partner! LOL JUST KIDDING!!!

Maybe we need a hunting version of Eharmony or Match.com. That way hunters can connect on all levels of "Compatability".

Taylor

He's a great guy when he's cured off the Wild Turkey!

Just kidding, you'll have a great hunt with him.

No really, Taylor's a great Guy... If he had any friends you could ask them!

I will be calling you this weekend Down Range. I have been up here chasing and shooting game for about 11 years and been very successful. Now I have got to say Sheep hunting is fairly new to me. Please dont let that freak you out. I went for the first time a few years ago and realized I just didnt have the right gear. It was a good learning experience and I told myself I wasnt going again until some new gear was bought. I definetly can tell ya Im ready to go now. Barney Pack, GPS, lightweight sleeping bag and other gear should make this trip a lot more comfortable. My pack with everything in it for 10 days weighs about 40 lbs. I thought that was good compared to my last trip when I decided to pack everything but the kitchen sink.

If I drew the Tok Tag I would definetly go in Solo !!!!......... dropped off in a cub, on the smallest strip, in the most remote area. Move fast, cover ground and be unseen.....

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    If I drew the Tok Tag I would definetly go in Solo !!!!......... dropped off in a cub, on the smallest strip, in the most remote area. Move fast, cover ground and be unseen.....
    Not everybody is the Sheep Ninja you are Chuck!!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Not everybody is the Sheep Ninja you are Chuck!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment !!!....but your not doing too bad yourself !!!......I saw what you did last year !!!!.... and I have to admit, I have some catching up to do.....

seriously though, if I had this Tok Tag, I would drop the money to do a flyover several weeks prior to the hunt, mainly to scout for Rams see where they could be holding up and scope out an LZ....

Down Range tried to book solo and 40-mile Air wouldn't take his money. Said he had to have a partner...

They surely want you to double-up so they can charge two hunters for the same flight. I gotta imagine owning an airplane aint cheap! LOL

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Down Range tried to book solo and 40-mile Air wouldn't take his money. Said he had to have a partner...

They surely want you to double-up so they can charge two hunters for the same flight. I gotta imagine owning an airplane aint cheap! LOL

Taylor
    I have sheep hunted with 40-mile air and it is true they will not fly solo hunters in. They fly their cubs together, which is a very good idea. Every time I have flown with them the weather has forced us to land and wait it out. Having a partner while flying or hunting is just a good idea for many reasons. Leif and Randy are incredible pilots and can put their cubs in places that others would not even think about.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

40 mile will fly you around just for sight seeing purposes in the off season....its all tach time, not sure what the going rate for a cub this year but its usually around $250- $280 per hour, You dont have to touch ground if your scouting, just bring your topo, binos ,and a GPS...
    I didn't know they had their own rule of having a "Wing man" on their fly-out hunts....if thats the case I know other carriers with a 135 certificate with a cub that will drop off a solo hunter throughout the Western, central, and Eastern AK ranges.
    The thing is, theres other options: park or get dropped off and hike in fron the ALCAN (theres access roads, I'm not going to say where) or run a boat up the johnson or Robertson River ( I know two hunters that did this and took Exceptional rams this way) just have to watch the border areas( near the Johnson) as you go west because you'll start getting into the Delta area.

Yea, I was going to say earlier that 40-mile wouldn’t fly ya in solo, but figured ya'd find out anyway!.... Jim at Golden Eagle Outfitters out of Delta will fly you in solo, Jim put my buddy in the west fork of the Robertson solo. I would take a hard look at both forks of the Robertson.

This is my wife's ram we got up the west fork of the Robertson, we went in with 40-mile......

Well nwf99, ramhunter spilled the beans!!!!...........and since I will never draw this tag.......two words: Rock Candy (figure it out)....It's easier if you walk on the moraine. Good Luck, I can't wait to see the pictures!

Opps… grin…. maybe not that big of a secret tho, although the TMA can and has produced big rams throughout the unit, the forks of the Robertson continually to kick out big rams year after year! 40-mile has many strips up and down the forks like Rock Candy, Bandrkey, Joe Young, Backside Creek, Rumble are just a few. Only thing is all those strips will be booked already…..if it were me I’d go with 40-mile and go in later after the first wave of hunters are out, that’s what we did on my wife’s hunt, she got that ram on the 2nd day of the hunt and a party had hunted in there before us!......rams were every where!....but that was a few years ago….

Also Golden Eagle knows all them strips too and will put you in one also.

The sad thing about this.....I knew two people that drew this TMA tag in the past years and DID NOT even Go !!!! The same goes for the DCUA tag...... I'm not even gonna start, because it fustrates me !!!

I know what your saying this happens alot with the drawing tags, I know folks who drew some of the lowest odds most coveted Brown Bear tags who didn't go!....it fustrates me too!

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    The sad thing about this.....I knew two people that drew this TMA tag in the past years and DID NOT even Go !!!! The same goes for the DCUA tag...... I'm not even gonna start, because it fustrates me !!!
    You can add me that list, dang hard to stamp "DID NOT HUNT" on my DCUA tag last year. Sometimes life happens I guess

What kind of bonus do you get when you put hunter on the spot,{none}...do any of you guys and gals think that putting people on target is like pointing wolves to a dinner???? One day will all figure out that this forum is more deadly then a wolf.....please don't get me wrong,general info is great but don't give up area's that folks have busted there butts to find....permit or not
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    You can add me that list, dang hard to stamp "DID NOT HUNT" on my DCUA tag last year. Sometimes life happens I guess
    In your circumstance its understandable, I know where your at.....but one of the two guys I knew that drew the TMA tag, it was his first time putting in for it and he got drawn, honestly....I don't think he knew what he had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast