Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Finding a 'Long Lost' Rifle?

Default Help Finding a 'Long Lost' Rifle?

My Grandpa lived in the Alaskan bush back in the 50's and had a Winchester Model 70 375 H&H. Alaska_Lanche and I got wind that he had this rifle at one time and likely put many tons of food on the table for their family of 8.

I gather that the rifle had some feeding issues and he traded the rifle for a Remington to a guy named Bill Johnson who, at the time, was living in Port Alsworth. Bill Johnson apparently drowned in a plane crash flying from Port Alsworth to Kenai along with 3 counselors from a kids camp when they ran out of fuel.

Evidently Bill Johnson was survived by a son and a daughter. If this story may ring a bell with anyone or any of the names involved, let me know. I'd like to see if we might be able to track down this 'family heirloom' if possible.

We have a Bill Johnson liveing here in Wrangell thats in his early sixties and born in Alaska.He may be kin to ya'll
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Yes, I remember that. Oddly that has happened three times if my memory is any good. I suggest you look through the Anchorage Daily News archives on the INTERNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    We have a Bill Johnson liveing here in Wrangell thats in his early sixties and born in Alaska.He may be kin to ya'll
    Might be worth asking if you happen to see him at the post office or something...

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Yes, I remember that. Oddly that has happened three times if my memory is any good. I suggest you look through the Anchorage Daily News archives on the INTERNET.
    I'll see if I can't get an approximate date this may have happened as that might help narrow down things a bit...

Port Alsworth is a very small and religious community. Call Glenn Alsworth.

Who else would know is Mike Olsolnick, owner of Birchwood Air, out of Merill Field.

I've got a few connections out that way and will keep hunting for a lead. Thanks AGL....

It was one camp counselor and 2 kids, one of which was my little sister. I can ask my mom or dad if he remembers who Bill's kids are.

Thumbs up

Only in Alaska.

Best of luck to you Kyle.

I have a feeling this thread will bear watching.
    ďLife has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.Ē ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

PM sent. .................................................. .............................

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Only in Alaska.

Best of luck to you Kyle.

I have a feeling this thread will bear watching.
    Yup, gotta love Alaska! Iím betting the gun gets tracked down . . . either way some friends are likely to be made along the trail.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    PM sent. .................................................. .............................
    Thanks! I've got a message in with a contact who attended CIA recently...maybe she can shed some light on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Yup, gotta love Alaska! Iím betting the gun gets tracked down . . . either way some friends are likely to be made along the trail.
    I'm hoping too...that would be really neat!

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Thanks! I've got a message in with a contact who attended CIA recently...maybe she can shed some light on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I'm hoping too...that would be really neat!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    My Grandpa lived in the Alaskan bush back in the 50's and had a Winchester Model 70 375 H&H. Alaska_Lanche and I got wind that he had this rifle at one time and likely put many tons of food on the table for their family of 8.

I gather that the rifle had some feeding issues and he traded the rifle for a Remington to a guy named Bill Johnson who, at the time, was living in Port Alsworth. Bill Johnson apparently drowned in a plane crash flying from Port Alsworth to Kenai along with 3 counselors from a kids camp when they ran out of fuel.

Evidently Bill Johnson was survived by a son and a daughter. If this story may ring a bell with anyone or any of the names involved, let me know. I'd like to see if we might be able to track down this 'family heirloom' if possible.
    Your grandpa had good taste in guns.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I've got good blood in me...

The saying "its a small world" is alive and well!!

Apparently tyrex13 has either a brother/son/relative that coached my wife when she ran track for Cook Inlet Academy. I also was asking about the daughter of said Bill Johnson, who tyrex13 didn't remember a married name and my wife correctly identified the daughter of Bill Johnson and her married name. I'm hoping to get in touch with her and see what she says.

Looks like I have tracked down the daughter at least...for now...

Well I called her.....wrong Connie...

But she knew the Connie I was talking about and gave me the number to Bill Johnson's brother.

Ratchet up the small world-ness.....

My wife calls her Dad because she recognizes the name and sure enough, Bill Johnson's brother lives less than a mile from the in-laws. Calling in the morning for some hopefully (but fairly unlikely) good news...

My grandpa helped coach some track there. By the sounds of it, my brother or I probably went to school with your wife.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Indeed. Wonder if it was a super grade.

PM sent with possible contact information.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast