Thread: 221 fireball

Default 221 fireball

I have a hankering to shoot in this summers USBR 100 meter centerfire shoots. They are getting more numerous in this area and I can attend quite a few with short drives.

I stumbled on to a very cute Remington LVSF in 221 Fireball for $550 cash.

I haven't taken the plunge yet....thought I would consult the wise counsel on this forum first.

Do any of you Jethro Bodine type fly shooters at a hundred paces have any experience with this little round?

I know...it's a gish dern push feed Remington but the truth is I've really got nothing against them even though I have stirred the pot a time or two in regards

My other thought was a Remington 700 VTR in ???. Just wonder how annoying that factory muzzle brake would be to others at the bench at the same time?

Thanks in advance EKC
    Last edited by elmerkeithclone; 03-10-2011 at 16:28. Reason: kint speel

I've not shot this particular rifle but I have shot a lot of 221 Fireballs, including an AR in 221;this rifle "I believe" shoots in the light class. Most Fireballs are twisted 1-14 and as such like bullets under 52 grns. At 200 yards and less use a flat based bullet for best accuracy. It will need a target trigger with or without a saftey depending on rules for your class.
    I don't believe it will outshoot a tuned triple duece or the current 220 Russian or 22 PPC. The brake won't cause to much noise as this round has a reduced powder capacity compared to the 223.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I've not shot this particular rifle but I have shot a lot of 221 Fireballs, including an AR in 221;this rifle "I believe" shoots in the light class. Most Fireballs are twisted 1-14 and as such like bullets under 52 grns. At 200 yards and less use a flat based bullet for best accuracy. It will need a target trigger with or without a saftey depending on rules for your class.
    I don't believe it will outshoot a tuned triple duece or the current 220 Russian or 22 PPC. The brake won't cause to much noise as this round has a reduced powder capacity compared to the 223.
    Thanks brav01, thats what I was looking for.

Suppose I do buy this gun and down the road decide I don't like the 221, couldn't I just get it reamed out to tripple duece?

I have always been very fond of the triple duece and if this were already one it would already be mine!

I've a Sako Vixen (.222) sitting in my safe that I've every intention of building into a 221 Fireball. It's as much as anything because I've no experience with the .221 and I really "need" a sub 6 pound fox rifle. Having said that, if you decide against the LVSF let me know 'cause I am interested. $550 means I could do that now and it would be a sweet little rifle.

My plans for the Vixen will be a Pac-Nor 1:12 lightweight barrel in a McMillan Edge stock. A 3x9X33 UL (probably an elevation M1) to top it off and I should be set.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Thanks brav01, thats what I was looking for.

Suppose I do buy this gun and down the road decide I don't like the 221, couldn't I just get it reamed out to tripple duece?

I have always been very fond of the triple duece and if this were already one it would already be mine!
    It could easily be altered to 222 if you think the 221 falls short of your desired attributes. The twist will still be the same and won't handle heavy bullets, if that;s what you are looking for. The 221/222's love the 48-52 grn bullets. Mike Walker had a winner when he designed this round. I've won a lot of matches and lots of praire dogs have fallen to this caliber at my hands.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Ok thanks guys...think I'll grab it and give it a go.

1Cor15:19 I will keep you in mind. I'm kinda of like you are...I've been sooo around the block when it comes to varmint guns but never had a 221.

Here in the heartland the wind is bad. That could hinder a long term relationship with it. We'll see and iffen it doesn't work out I'd sell it to you for the same $ if your interested a short while down the road.

I'll try to post some pictures in the next few days.

Ok thanks guys...think I'll grab it and give it a go.

1Cor15:19 I will keep you in mind. I'm kinda of like you are...I've been sooo around the block when it comes to varmint guns but never had a 221.

Here in the heartland the wind is bad. That could hinder a long term relationship with it. We'll see and iffen it doesn't work out I'd sell it to you for the same $ if your interested a short while down the road.

I'll try to post some pictures in the next few days.
    Sounds like a good plan to me EKC, keep us informed.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I've a Sako Vixen (.222) sitting in my safe that I've every intention of building into a 221 Fireball. It's as much as anything because I've no experience with the .221 and I really "need" a sub 6 pound fox rifle. Having said that, if you decide against the LVSF let me know 'cause I am interested. $550 means I could do that now and it would be a sweet little rifle.

My plans for the Vixen will be a Pac-Nor 1:12 lightweight barrel in a McMillan Edge stock. A 3x9X33 UL (probably an elevation M1) to top it off and I should be set.
    Sako makes a quality barrel, just use the barrel that came on the Vixen. Just shorten the chamber end and then ream back to 221, a good gunsmith can put the original 222 label against the forearm channel. You'll loose 1/2" or so of barrel and have a functional rifle. It may have the same 1-14 twist and be relagated to 48-52 grn bullets though. But bullets of this size are more than capable of taking foxes.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Sako makes a quality barrel, just use the barrel that came on the Vixen. Just shorten the chamber end and then ream back to 221, a good gunsmith can put the original 222 label against the forearm channel. You'll loose 1/2" or so of barrel and have a functional rifle. It may have the same 1-14 twist and be relagated to 48-52 grn bullets though. But bullets of this size are more than capable of taking foxes.
    No doubt that would work and it's something I've been considering, but it would not be what I really have in mind in the end. The rifle is accurate enough as is and is a very good rifle. However any rifle crank knows that it is hard to settle for good when the seemingly perfect rifle is just a few modifications away...

Yup, got that exact rifle for my daughter. So far the only load I've worked up is 18.5gr of RL7 under a 50 gr v-max. I haven't shot it enough to know exactly how well it'll shoot, but do know it's a consistant 1/2" gun for 5 shots at 100 yds. I might be able to tighten it up with some bedding work and a better set of dies. Oh I suppose one of these days I'll replace the J-lock and fine tune the trigger.

You'll have a harder time finding a fireball that won't shoot than one that will. It's a superb round, extremely accurate and very little recoil.

It's mine. I will drive the 50 miles to pick it up in the morning! For $550 the dies came with it. He couldn't tell me on the phone what kind they were but remembered that they were in a green box. RCBS or Redding would be my guess! Either will work!

It's mine. I will drive the 50 miles to pick it up in the morning! For $550 the dies came with it. He couldn't tell me on the phone what kind they were but remembered that they were in a green box. RCBS or Redding would be my guess! Either will work!
    I hate to say EKC, but I kinda hope you don't much like it...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    You'll have a harder time finding a fireball that won't shoot than one that will. It's a superb round, extremely accurate and very little recoil.
    You'll have a hard time finding a round designed by Mike Walker that doesn't shoot well. As Mike was a world class bench rest shooter and still competes from time to time. Remington built an entire gun empire on Mikes gun and ammunition designs.

I've got the rcbs dies, and while it would be nice to upgrade to a busing neck sizer and a competition seater, the gun shoots very well with the plane jane die set. Oh, a 22br seater should work just fine is one was looking for a more common comp seater.