Thread: Summary of BOF actions now available

Default Summary of BOF actions now available

BOF summary is posted at the Fish and Game site. Press release should be coming soon.

Here is a link to another summary of the BOF actions. From the Homer News.... http://homernews.com/seawatch/

I still have a beef with the Board's Proposal D...from the summary:

"Regulatory action regarding Alexander Creek King Salmon Action Plan. The board prohibited the live released of Northern pike in the Susitna River drainage and West Cook Inlet Area, removed size and bag limits on Alexander Lake, and allowed the use of spear and bow and arrow on Alexander Lake."

Hey, I don't have any problem with removing the bag limits and exempting pike from wanton waste regulations so people can kill as many as they want. But, I have a problem with compelling people to kill every pike they catch. As I said last week, I hate it when catch & release zealots try to force others into C&R and, likewise, I don't think it's right to force someone to kill a fish if they don't want to. Additionally, if we aren't able to (or willing to) eradicate pike in this system, then there are good arguments for managing to keep trophy pike in there ('cause it's the little pike that are eating juvenile salmon...and the big pike keep the little pike under a little more control).

Now we're going to force people to kill the big pike? Even if they don't want to?

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    [B][ 'cause it's the little pike that are eating juvenile salmon...and the big pike keep the little pike under a little more control
    Mrfish - I have seen you use this statement in the past. I am wondering what your basis is for the statement? If there are fish other than little pike available to eat why wouldn't big pike eat salmon of any size they are capable of getting in their mouth?

ClearCreek

Quote Originally Posted by ClearCreek View Post
    Mrfish - I have seen you use this statement in the past. I am wondering what your basis is for the statement? If there are fish other than little pike available to eat why wouldn't big pike eat salmon of any size they are capable of getting in their mouth?

ClearCreek
    I haven't read any specific studies on it, but have heard the discussion many times. It's even on ADFG's website about invasive pike:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...sivepike.areas
    "Generally, when pike are introduced to a shallow lake in Southcentral Alaska, they eventually consume all of the juvenile salmon and trout. When the salmon and trout are gone, they start cannibalizing each other. In time, the large pike are harvested by anglers or die, and the remaining pike population often consists of "hammer-handles" - small pike that won't grow because there is no longer sufficient food to support substantial growth. Once the population is under "stress," their biological response is to mature at this smaller size and increase their reproduction. The end result is a lake full of stunted, little pike. This pattern has been repeated in Southcentral lakes. Typically it is these small pike that have the greatest impacts on rearing salmonids. This is because large pike tend to eat larger fish. Small pike tend to feed on salmon fry and smolt, and they feed more often than larger pike."

The State's management plan for invasive pike also has a discussion section about managing for large size classes of pike with a slot limit (which, I believe, was the concept behind the previous regulations for Alexander).
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/sp...ement_plan.pdf

Perhaps the Board had some discussion about why (or if) this concept no longer applies and I missed it. I was not at the committee meeting when this might have been discussed. Anyone?