Thread: lake or float hunt??

Default lake or float hunt??

Going on a unguided hunt for moose.
    Not sure weather we should do a float or a lake hunt with a small boat?
    It would be our first hunt in Alaska.
    Would be hunting for moose (and hopefully a chance at a passing caribou??)
    We would be renting most of gear once we get to Alaska.

Thanks for any advice

I liked the lake hunt .Could be a longer pack but you will not be unpacking and packing camp all the time.Do you have an area picked out?Transporter? I could tell you a good lake 1 out of 3 will shoot a bull ,If you know what your doing you can score better.Where do you live in montana?

Don't have an area picked out yet, I live 60 miles west of Billings.

check into papa bear adventures lake drops or floats

I suggest a lake hunt unless you are an experienced rafter. talk to the transporters, they will be able to give you good advice
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

East of big timber? Nice deer hunting .Hunted western Montana over a dozen times.

ultramag3:

If you do extensive float hunt planning I think you would not have a problem at all. When we (4 of us who had zero rafting experience) decided to do a float hunt for moose and caribou last fall we heard some of the same thing about needing some experience first. We decided to get our experience on the river. We picked our river with a class 1-2 rating and had a terrific time. We were glad we did it and would do it again.

Check out our trip in the float hunt thread for more info.

Good luck.

We have floated several times here in Montana, fishing etc. But not with real heavy loads or in remote locations.

Read Mike straham's book "float hunting alaska wild rivers" and then make the decision. It's available through this web site.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

ultramag,
    i second tom's opinion there is alot of great info in mike's book. i know what you are going thru because we went back and forth for months trying to decide which one. a common theme we heard was it is very hard on a float hunt not to focus on what might be around the next bend and by the time you see it is to late to go back. however our decision came down to one thing meat care. if we killed early in the hunt we didn't want to have to move that big sucker in and out of the boat every day. one thing we heard over and over from every successful hunter was that packing an alaskan/yukon moose is something you will never forget. some actually told us after they killed 1 their partners didn't even want to hunt anymore.
    i do think it is realistic that y'all could kill 2 moose on a lake hunt. although if your looking for 2 55"+ bulls i think that will be tough.
    a float hunt on a wilderness alaskan river is definitely on my bucket list but it will be for caribou. good luck with your decision and hunt.

I highly recommend Joe Shuster w/Sportsman's Air Service. He runs self-guided/guided float trips in a few areas. Super nice guy and has it together.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I got the "float hunting alaska's wild rivers book" hopefully that will help us with our decision.

One thing that you didn't mention is time. Are you looking at this year? If so you are running short of time. I know that sound crazy but you will learn that. Charter services are filling up NOW and you will need to make some decisions and make reservations soon. You could DIY or you could hire Mike for his hunt consultation services. It's not required but for your first trip it would be a good idea.

One other thing is to spend the next week reading for hours past treads. You can learn alot. Just use the search function and read read read. Best of luck.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

planning for a hunt in 2013

Two video you must watch legal bulls [AF&G]and calling [Thunder something]
    Worth the money then some.
    Look at fresh water adventure's web site out of dillingham.

You might call Alaska West Air in Nikiski, they have been in the transport buisness for a long time, and have been very helpful every time I've flown with them.

Quote Originally Posted by headhunter353 View Post
    Two video you must watch legal bulls [AF&G]and calling [Thunder something]
    Worth the money then some.
    Look at fresh water adventure's web site out of dillingham.
    Love Thunder and Bull grab Volume II as well, it is very informative.

As to Freshwater Adventures out of Dillingham. I use 'em every Summer and Fall, however under their current ownership I would advise shopping around a bit. Contact Tom with Bay Air (also out of Dillingham), he is a Mom & Pop operation, his gear is top shelf and his service exemplary.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."