Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .257 wby mag for Ak goat and sheep? Help a southpaw...

Default .257 wby mag for Ak goat and sheep? Help a southpaw...

Okay, after 25 years of cheap arse improvising I'm looking for my first left handed rifle.
    I'd like a high quality, all-weather lightweight mountain gun at a reasonable ($1200-1500+/-) cost and it has become painfully obvious that very few companies offer these mountain guns in left handed actions. What's up with that?! If Tikka can do it, why can't others?
    Right now it looks like the Weatherby Mark V ultra lightweight is the answer. I had a righty in .30-06 I got in a trade; I loved the build quality and action on that gun, but it was a righty and I sold it.
    WBY offers only two LH loads in their ultra lightweight six pounder: .257 wby mag and .300 wby mag. I have no clue why they won't offer .30-06, .308 etc, other than they want to sell factory ammo.
    I'd like less recoil and I do have my trusty .300wm ruger righty for moose, bear etc. so it looks like the .257 is my choice. I can buy a new one reasonably.
    Aside from ammo cost, the .257 looks like a great load with bullet choices between 87 grain (varmint) and up to 120 grain with wicked fps speeds of 3800 to 3400 respectively.
    I'm wondering who has used one for sheep and/or goat?
    Will it without a doubt do the job? I know the obvious bullet placement thinking, I just want to believe that it is enough gun for my upcoming AK goat hunt. This could be an all-weather rife for my yearly high country deer and occasional elk hunts here as well...
    Appreciate all thoughts....
    Proud to be an American!

I just watched a sheep hunting vid where they killed 6 or 7 with the 257 wby. They all died a good death. The ballistics are incredible on that cartridge, more mountain laser than mountain rifle...

Frank, I shot a .257 Ackley Improved exclusively for a number of years and killed everything with it. Lost it to the river. Couldn't afford to replace it. I'm confident the .257 Wby is enough for what you want to do with it.

IIRC, I shot the 100 and 117grain partitions most of the time, don't think nosler had a partition in 120 back then. Still have dies etc. If you go that route, let me know, may still have a bunch of .257 bullets we could swap for.

You will definately like it! I've been running mine for 30 years. Will also be an awesome caribou and black bear rifle. It will take down a moose as well....it might pizz off a big griz tho.

I was just looking at this caliber in a Kimber. Another good choice to consider in your price range.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Frank,

My sheep hunting partner has a Weatherby .257. It is a BAD *SS cartridge! I've been seriously thinking about going that route. Seriously flat shooting and very accurate.

Wow, thanks for the great input, guys. Good stuff.
    I've never been one for 'less popular' rounds, but this really sounds like one great cartridge.

Roger, Kimber makes a fine rifle, but doesn't make a LH lightweight--put 'em on the long list.
    Proud to be an American!

Frank, the .257Wby was reportedly Roy Weatherby's favorite cartridge- he claimed a killing power substantially out of proportion to it's recoil level. He even went so far as to kill a few things very much out of its league...like a Cape Buffalo.

The single animal I've witnessed shot with a .257Wby was a whitetail- it went down like it was pole-axed.

My buddy just got the 270 win in the accumark v, I was just on the weatherby site, the 270 win in the Accumark is lighter than the .257. What am I missing?
    But his is a sweet gun, if you can compare them I'd recommend it.

T'would be nice, HnB, but....The .270 is not available in LH in any Weatherby configuration.
    And it is 7 1/4 lbs in the RH accumark ...the .257wby mag ultra light is 6 3/4 lbs. (8 3/4 lbs. in Accumark)
    Proud to be an American!

Last time I was in Great N. Guns, they had one of the ultra light weatherby in 300 whby mag ~ left handed version.

I sure wish Browning would make the mountain ti in lefty.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    T'would be nice, HnB, but....The .270 is not available in LH in any Weatherby configuration.
    And it is 7 1/4 lbs in the RH accumark ...the .257wby mag ultra light is 6 3/4 lbs. (8 3/4 lbs. in Accumark)
    Sorry about the left hand, I would have thought both model's offered it. Either way they are nice guns.
    Is the light weight also made in the U.S.A ? I know the Accumark is... just curious

I think the only issue is finding a model of your desire, the cartridge is a fine choice for what you intend and more. I have not looked into the cost of components for some time now, but I think you may be able to build a rather nice rifle for that price including a premium barrel and stock. It may worthwhile to look into that, or a barreled action and stock.

I like loading up and shooting my 25-06. It's deadly on goat without an issue. I'm only getting a few hundred less fps than that weatherby round. I like 120g Nosler Partitions but 110 Accubonds are more accurate in my iron. Don't hesitate on the round, it's gonna work fine.

I hunted with a couple of guys who love the .257 Wby. I watched them shoot big Wyoming mulies and a couple of Colorado elk with them. I was impressed. I would like to have one myself.

Fullkurl,

I have used the .257Wby to take both bears and caribou. It was my go-to gun for sheep hunting and I have zero doubt about the ability of this round to take sheep and goats. My most important observation about this particular cartridge is its ability to overdrive bullets. If your bullet is not up to the task of staying together at high velocity then it WILL become a grenade upon striking an animal. I would HIGHLY recommend shooting either the 120g Partition/Grand Slam, the 115g TSX or the 110gr Accubond. For serious business I will no longer shoot anything less than 120g. I had a brain-fart and shot a caribou with the 115g Ballistic Tip at a caribou no further than 40ft away. It literally blew up when shot in the sternal notch.
    My secondary concern would be having enough gun to put a grizzly on his teacups if he decides to pay your tent a visit in the night. I only take the .257Wby if somebody else has a .30cal rifle. BTW, if you put an accubrake on the .300Wby it is really not bad to shoot--and earplugs are light in any case.

Cheers,

IceKing02

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    Fullkurl,

I have used the .257Wby to take both bears and caribou. It was my go-to gun for sheep hunting and I have zero doubt about the ability of this round to take sheep and goats. My most important observation about this particular cartridge is its ability to overdrive bullets. If your bullet is not up to the task of staying together at high velocity then it WILL become a grenade upon striking an animal. I would HIGHLY recommend shooting either the 120g Partition/Grand Slam, the 115g TSX or the 110gr Accubond. For serious business I will no longer shoot anything less than 120g. I had a brain-fart and shot a caribou with the 115g Ballistic Tip at a caribou no further than 40ft away. It literally blew up when shot in the sternal notch.
    My secondary concern would be having enough gun to put a grizzly on his teacups if he decides to pay your tent a visit in the night. I only take the .257Wby if somebody else has a .30cal rifle. BTW, if you put an accubrake on the .300Wby it is really not bad to shoot--and earplugs are light in any case.

Cheers,

IceKing02
    Thanks, IK.
    I hear you. My son will have his .30-06 on our hunt. I was thinking along those lines myself.
    Also, my research has really reinforced what you relayed too. Apparently the smaller .257 loads have a propensity for fragmenting on big game given the velocities involved. I'll avoid that situation and will heed your advice, 120g in the Nosler sounds like a winner.

As far as the .300 mag...well it is tempting. If I could find one really reasonable in the lefty u/light I might brake it for recoil and love it forever.
    The .257wby mag sure sounds like pure bullet joy though.
    Proud to be an American!

The .257 Wby is refered to as "The Hammer of THOR". Even Roy thought so....

I'd like to build one someday.

I have a LH Accumark in 257 Roy. It is as heavy or more so than any of the heavy barrel work rifles I have used professionally, not overly surprising in that it is a sniper's tool superb in all but specific name. After having killed a decent handful of whitetails with it down here in the last few years, I have publically opined it might, just might, be THE perfect medium game western/prairie rifle caliber combo. It also practically leaves a mushroom cloud over coyotes, making 400 yard shots on them nearly routine. For the record, my do-everthing handload is a 110 grain Accubond over 72.0 grains of H1000 for 3350FPS. I also worked up a nasty 85 grain Ballistic Tip load for when that 110 grain just doesn't kill a coyote bad enough. A fur load, it is not...

My wife was so impressed with my 257 that she bought herself a Remington 700 LSS in 257 Roy, one of a limited run Remington made a couple years back. I am a Remington 700 guy through & through and had this rifle been available in LH, I probably would never have looked twice at the much heavier Weatherby Accumark.

The bolt on theAccumark 257 Weatherby is huge, BTW, looking like something out of a 50 cal Barrett. Visibly a good 1/3 bigger than that of my 700 in 338 Mag. I have no idea why this is necessary, butno doubt it contributes to much of the rifles weight. The weight does serve to soak up recoil though. the Accumark has impressive muzzle blast as to be expected burning that much powder, but the crosshairs hardly move off the target.

I have concluded that like the 45-70, the 257 WM is one of those rounds that kills/performs all out of proportion to what you might expect, and really has to be used to actually kill stuff to appreciate this. It really does the job on medium game and I might just be tempted to grab the Roy rather than my 338 on the next elk hunt. A big bull elk is tough as all get out, but the Roy has made that much of a believer out of me.

It "hammers" things! Every animal that I've seen my buddy hit with that thing has instantly dropped! Like I said, if I was going to have a rifle made for sheep hunting specifically, I think it would be the .257 W

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast