Thread: Boat test drive

Default Boat test drive

Test drove a 220 ocean pro and a 26' alaskan.
    The 220 ocean pro was a sweet machine with a 150 hp honda. Top end about 38 mph and very stable. If I buy this I think I would still upgrade to a 200 hp. Honda. But over all a little small than what I am used too.

Now for you guys that have the 26' Alaskan with twin 115 hp.
    yamahas. I wasn't to impressed with the performace of these twins. Lots of vibration and noise, Could not get above 28 mph.
    Burning 9.5 gph. Is this common for the yamahas on this boat. I felt that it needed a counter rotating motor and a prop change.
    Motors had 19 pitch props. I think maybe 17 pitch would be better. And we only had about 15 gallons of fuel onboard with 3 of us. I really feel these motors should have performed much better. Maybe just a bad installation job on the outboards.
    I was ready to buy the 26' untill the test drive.
    All the help you can give will be most appreciated. need to make the dicission on the 220 ocean pro or the 26' alaskan.

Thanks again for your help.

Default what was the rpm's

i don't have a 26 or the 115's. yeah sounds like the props might have had to much pitch and causing them to have low rpms. if they were new motors and not broke in yet very well could be the problem, the next season the 19's should be fine. they do offer the 115s in counter rotator. Not sure why they would not have been installed that way. Where was the boats bought from?

Default rpm

Boats are at dealership in Pasco Washington. They sell alot of hewescrafts. I could not get the rpms above 4700 on the twin 115.

Default yep

motors need broke in on a lot smaller prop. possible to damage engines. sounds like the shop doesn't know what they are doing. might want to aviod shopping there or do your own instalation. i broke my yamahas in at about 5500rpms some times running at 6000rpms. toward the end of the first season felt like the boat was under powered. next spring went to 15 pitch props and dropped the rpms to max 5400rpms and run at 5100rpms and do 30 mph, with twin T-50's four strokes. i have always heard with yamahas anyway that you don't want to run below 4000rpms at a cosntant rpm with four strokes. in bad seas you are throtling up and down. so i run at the 5100 rpms and get 4 miles to the gallon. in the owners manual it says rpms 5000 to 6000. so i have always tried to run them in that range. never had a lick of trouble now over 400 hours on them.

Default Too Low

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Hammer View Post
    Boats are at dealership in Pasco Washington. They sell alot of hewescrafts. I could not get the rpms above 4700 on the twin 115.
    Was this 4700 WOT trimmed up? if so 4700 WOT is way too low. Normal operating range for those motors is 5000-6000 with 5700+ WOT being the optimum. OTherwise you are lugging those motors. I believe that most of the 26'ers with 115's are turning 17 pitch props not 19's with a 35-38mph speed. The motors could be mounted too low which is a common occurence.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have twin 115 and I have reached 39 mph with a 15 ptich SS prop. The enigines you had could have been to low, also the vibration could of come from the mounting bracket. My twins are very quite.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Yamaha 115

My father in laws 25ft Wooldridge Deep Water runs 18 pitch stainless props with a counter rotator and cruises at 4100 rpm at 30 mph. Wot is 5200rpm at 41mph, with 4 people and full of fuel 135 gal and gear for a weekend. It weighs 6500lbs wet with no passengers. He is ordering a new boat and will stay with the Yamaha 115 for the fuel mileage 8-8.5gph.