Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sabiki rod.

Default Sabiki rod.

Hey guys, does any stores down in ANCH happen to stock sabiki rods? I was hoping to get a 7 or 8 foot two piece rod to put in the boat to catch some bait.

Would rather get it in AK instead of ordering it outside.

Regards,

B&J here in Anchorage does. You could make one, as well. Here is a link: http://www.plasticnavy.com/make-a-sabiki-rod.htm
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    B&J here in Anchorage does. You could make one, as well. Here is a link: http://www.plasticnavy.com/make-a-sabiki-rod.htm
    Cool...thanks for that link, spoiled one! Dealing with those hooks when loose or trying to store the jigs is a real PITA. Looks like I have me an cheap and easy project.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Cool...thanks for that link, spoiled one! Dealing with those hooks when loose or trying to store the jigs is a real PITA. Looks like I have me an cheap and easy project.
    You bet. I have thought about building one, but really enjoy catching the herring on lighter rods. I suspect a "real" sabiki set up would allow for that. Now I just take off the sabiki rig and wrap it around a section of one of the foam pool noodles.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    You bet. I have thought about building one, but really enjoy catching the herring on lighter rods. I suspect a "real" sabiki set up would allow for that. Now I just take off the sabiki rig and wrap it around a section of one of the foam pool noodles.
    Yeah...I know what you mean. If it's the kids fishing, then a normal rod is the way to go...but if it's just me and needing to catch some bait...then utility is the way to go. It would be nice to have something onboard that's always ready to go when a bait ball shows on the sounder.

I wonder how some other tubing (besides the rigid white pvc) might work...something fairly firm but with a bit of flex. PEX tubing might be too flexible at that length...hmmm

Cool, what's B&Js? I'm in FBX. SO I don't know the stores all that well down there.

I made one today. (Day off work) What a piece of cake. I couldn't find the Schedule 30, but used 40 instead. Seems like it will have a decent bit of flex to it. Mine turned out to be about 7 feet long total length. The bad part is that I'm wanting summer to come even sooner so I can try it out.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    I made one today. (Day off work) What a piece of cake. I couldn't find the Schedule 30, but used 40 instead. Seems like it will have a decent bit of flex to it. Mine turned out to be about 7 feet long total length. The bad part is that I'm wanting summer to come even sooner so I can try it out.

Rob
    Very cool. Can/will you post a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPaladin View Post
    Cool, what's B&Js? I'm in FBX. SO I don't know the stores all that well down there.
    It is a great sporting goods store. Mainly fishing gear.

Here is a link to their website:http://www.bnjsg.com/main.html

Rob
    Cool...I've got to get working on one of my own. From looking at some of the comments on the sabiki rods on Cabela's website, one of the customer reviews talks about the need for flex, especially for herring:

"They weren't flexable enough. I tried to use them to catch herring which have a very soft mouth, and the rods were very stiff and unforgiving, which resulted in me hooking and losing many more herring than I got to the boat. The stiff action ripped the hooks out of their mouths."

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ahi-S...h-All+Products

Are production sabiki rods rigid, or nearly so?

Not sure about any production rods or even this one I made today. Just saw the article and figured I'd give it a try. Looks like it will work just fine. Plus now I won't be throwing away the rigs after I use them each time. This rod stores the line really well.

I really like the idea and am thinking if a smaller tube could be used so you can bring the whole sring into the boat, place in 5 gallon bucket and then reel the hooks in and have the herring drop off. My problem is I ususally bust the hooks shaking the herring off or by the time you get the fish off everything is wrapped up in a big mess. It gets to be an even bigger mess when you have 2-3 guys thinking production and dumping their lines in the same bucket! I just keep a good supply of the sabiki rigs on hand.

Default I Lke My Ahi Sabiki Rod

I bought an "Ahi" brand sabiki rod a few years back and I really like it. It is great to be able to get your jig hooks deployed out of a hollow rod without tangles and delays. I have been jigging herring for bait since the mid-1950s - usually with bright treble hooks. I agree with part of the Cabelas reviewer that MR FISH posted but not all of it. I don't believe the stiffness of the rod is the problem causing the loss of herring - the little hooks on the sabiki jigs tear out of herring pretty easily so you have to reel up with steady pressure to keep the hooks from jerking through their mouth membranes. No matter what type of hooks you are using, pumping the jig hooks up to the surface is counter-productive. A steady fast pull all the way up is the ticket.

I am also a firm believer that the little tinned treble hooks we started with decades ago are a lot more effective if you are pulling herring out of water any deeper than about 50 feet. Sometimes we can't find bait-sized herring shallow and have to jig them up out of 200 feet (or more if the Humpbacks whales are working them over). If you have two separate rods working - one with the store-bought sabikis and the other with little trebles, the trebles tied to a home-made jig system will be significantly more successful in comparison. If you get a couple of the treble points stuck into them they won't be getting off.

What size hooks to use?

Looks great, rob. Did you try to flare the end?

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Looks great, rob. Did you try to flare the end?
    Yep. I used a tapered drill bit and smoothed it out a little then heated it up and rounded it a little more. Works great most of the time. Just the few times I've tried it in the garage, I've had a couple hooks get caught on the end, but I think once it's hanging over the edge of the boat, it will work perfect. And if it doesn't, I'm out a couple bucks and a little fun making it. No big deal....

Default Hook size

What size hooks?

Default Treble Hooks Size?

Cliffhanger - If you are asking for the size of the trebles I use I just pulled my "little pieces" tackle box out of my storage to look. I have a couple of packages of Eagle Claw 2X "L375G-8". The last digit is the hook size.

In case you were wondering these hooks don't reel up inside my jigging rod because they don't fit inside the flared end of my Ahi sabiki rod (I wish they did - it would be a lot slicker). I just tighten the drag on the reel and wind the sinker around the handle of the reel and leave it in the rod tube on the side of the cabin when not in use. The store-bought sabiki jigs run up inside the rod just fine but don't catch as well as the trebles do so I improvise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast