View Poll Results: Best all-around type of boat for AK?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • smaller River Boat w. OB-jet

    24 36.92%
  • Drift Boat with OB kicker

    2 3.08%
  • large Inflatable Raft w. OB

    16 24.62%
  • Freighter Canoe w. OB

    2 3.08%
  • ATV, travel rod, and a set of waders

    5 7.69%
  • Other (specify)

    16 24.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: If you could only bring ONE boat to AK?

  1. #1
    Member BluNosDav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    450

    Default If you could only bring ONE boat to AK?

    Suppose there was a guy, who was moving to Anchorage, and he could only bring ONE boat up there with him. And he wanted to get the most fishin' fun & maybe some huntin' utility outta this ONE boat. Which ONE should he bring?

  2. #2
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,319

    Default

    If I could only bring one boat I wouldn't go!!!

  3. #3
    Member La Pine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Hard to just go with one boat up here, the small river boat with a jet, and the large inflatable rib zodiac with jet and prop lower unit as well.

  4. #4
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    a phantom jon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really like the sniper!!!!!!!!!!

  5. #5
    Member Mark Collett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Between the Willapa Rivers, United States
    Posts
    467

    Default This Is A Tough One

    Let's see.......I only have 4 boats right now.Gotta bring my kayaks...they are just way too much fun....Can't live without my mini-drifter,too many memories,past and future,to be without that one.Besides I like the comfort factor that comes with itAnd there is the quiet factor that comes from drifting down a river,so nice.....Power boat opens up so much water that might not be accessed otherwise,....yup,gotta have that one too.It's nice to turn the key,hit the throttle,and feel the wind in your face as you run to the next spot.
    Sorrry.....I can't do just one boat.
    Last edited by Mark Collett; 03-10-2011 at 09:40. Reason: put in more stuff

  6. #6
    Member BluNosDav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    450

    Default

    OK, maybe I should have said - Which one should a guy get FIRST!

    I've lived all around the lower-48 and owned: waders, inner-tubes, canoes, kayaks, small rafts, and even a couple of off-shore fishing boats. But, I've never lived in Alaska. So, I wanted to know which type of boat would be the MOST useful up there to start out with. I just sold my 27' Orca, in order to have a down-payment on a house in Anchorage. When that dust settles, I might have enough left over to buy one toy?

    So, I posted this poll . . . .

    Thanx for your votes, Dave.

  7. #7
    Member BlueMoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rifle River MI
    Posts
    1,835

    Default

    No mind you this response is from a Raft Guy! AGAIN! a Raft Guy! If you had one option and get the most bang for the buck for combo I still have to stick with answering something inflatable! Don't even think about the Puns! Inflatable sport boat i.e. Zodiac style 13-14ft 15-20 HP motor. Allows you to fish lots of rivers and lakes as well as places like Homer, Valdez, Cordova, Whittier etc... It can also be flown in for places like King Salmon, ADAK, Pilot Point, Chignik, Kodiak etc...... as well as used on the Lower Kenai heck people float through the Canyon and motor through Skilak with them. Best all around option for a first toy. No you can't use it on the upper gulkana without issues for the most part and yes I did once which was enough.

    Just sayen.

    Best of luck with your purchase.

  8. #8
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PugtSounDav View Post
    OK, maybe I should have said - Which one should a guy get FIRST!

    I've lived all around the lower-48 and owned: waders, inner-tubes, canoes, kayaks, small rafts, and even a couple of off-shore fishing boats. But, I've never lived in Alaska. So, I wanted to know which type of boat would be the MOST useful up there to start out with. I just sold my 27' Orca, in order to have a down-payment on a house in Anchorage. When that dust settles, I might have enough left over to buy one toy?

    So, I posted this poll . . . .

    Thanx for your votes, Dave.
    Well honestly it depends on what or were you want to fish. You really do need 3 or 4 boats to cover every thing. I have a Kenai boat, a salt water boat and a one man cataraft. What ever you get you really need to focus on what you are going to do most with it and go from there. But most people will say a zodiak is the best all around boat up here, they can be if you get a jet with it, so you can switch the lower unit back and forth IMO.

  9. #9
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    One of those inflatable jet boat raft thingys you can throw in a cessna
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  10. #10
    Member La Pine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    88

    Lightbulb Rib Zodiak

    If you were only to have one boat i would go with the inflatable Rib Zodiac with jet and prop lower unit as well. This will give you good flexibility and safety as well, just make sure to pack a repair kit with you.

    Good luck, and have fun in Alaska

  11. #11
    Member danattherock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Well honestly it depends on what or were you want to fish. .

    No kidding. It all depends on what kind of fishing you do. Fly fishing or gear fishing? Freshwater or saltwater? etc...


    -Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

  12. #12
    Member BluNosDav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Thanx for all the input so far. I realize that AK is a big place with alot of different types of water, from ocean to mountain streams. I didn't define my question too narrowly at first, because I wanted to get a broad array of responses to consider. But if I did get specific, here's what I'd say:

    I have a wife and 3 kids (ages 7-10) who also like to enjoy the outdoors and fish (now) and will hunt (in a few years). We will be living in Anchorage and we'll be working 5 days a week like everyone else. So the boat must be capable of carrying 5 and some light equipment for weekend trips. Maybe carry me and a co-worker for a week-long hunting trip twice a year. Realistically, we'll mostly be staying within 4 hours drive-time of Anchorage. Leaving home after work on Friday and returning home late Sunday nights. Typical Joe. So, ruling out the exotic expeditions to the most remote parts of Alaska via airplane:

    What's the best type of boat for an Alaskan family from Anchorage?

    Thanx again, Dave.

  13. #13
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,319

    Default

    I would say a flat bottom riveer boat with a jet OB would do the most good.
    But if you can swing it a 14' raft will be good for floating the rivers like the Upper Kenai.
    With a motor mount it could be a good all around boat.

  14. #14
    Member La Pine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Go to the Zodiac web page and take a look. there safe, stable, buoyant. go with 18'-22'.

  15. #15
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PugtSounDav View Post
    Thanx for all the input so far. I realize that AK is a big place with alot of different types of water, from ocean to mountain streams. I didn't define my question too narrowly at first, because I wanted to get a broad array of responses to consider. But if I did get specific, here's what I'd say:

    I have a wife and 3 kids (ages 7-10) who also like to enjoy the outdoors and fish (now) and will hunt (in a few years). We will be living in Anchorage and we'll be working 5 days a week like everyone else. So the boat must be capable of carrying 5 and some light equipment for weekend trips. Maybe carry me and a co-worker for a week-long hunting trip twice a year. Realistically, we'll mostly be staying within 4 hours drive-time of Anchorage. Leaving home after work on Friday and returning home late Sunday nights. Typical Joe. So, ruling out the exotic expeditions to the most remote parts of Alaska via airplane:

    What's the best type of boat for an Alaskan family from Anchorage?

    Thanx again, Dave.


    Yeah I would go with a flat bottom 18,19,0r 20 ft boat.......like a lowe roughneck, g3, backwater.............and get a 115 hp with a jet. THat will get you any where you want to go in the valley streams. You could get a little smaller boat and a 50 hp motor to use on the kenai and get a jet and prop both, but the jet will really kill your hp in a motor that small.

  16. #16
    Member Sierra Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PugtSounDav View Post
    Thanx for all the input so far. I realize that AK is a big place with alot of different types of water, from ocean to mountain streams. I didn't define my question too narrowly at first, because I wanted to get a broad array of responses to consider. But if I did get specific, here's what I'd say:

    I have a wife and 3 kids (ages 7-10) who also like to enjoy the outdoors and fish (now) and will hunt (in a few years). We will be living in Anchorage and we'll be working 5 days a week like everyone else. So the boat must be capable of carrying 5 and some light equipment for weekend trips. Maybe carry me and a co-worker for a week-long hunting trip twice a year. Realistically, we'll mostly be staying within 4 hours drive-time of Anchorage. Leaving home after work on Friday and returning home late Sunday nights. Typical Joe. So, ruling out the exotic expeditions to the most remote parts of Alaska via airplane:

    What's the best type of boat for an Alaskan family from Anchorage?

    Thanx again, Dave.
    Honestly? (i'm in similar situation) I'd save my cash and get a 30' bayliner or cabin cruiser saltwater boat and skip the freashwater altogether.

    but then thats me.

  17. #17
    Member BluNosDav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Dragon,

    Sold my Skagit Orca 27 XLC two weeks ago!
    It was a great saltwater boat, but, I've made my decision: I'm moving into fresh-water.

    Thanx, Dave.

  18. #18
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PugtSounDav View Post
    Dragon,

    Sold my Skagit Orca 27 XLC two weeks ago!
    It was a great saltwater boat, but, I've made my decision: I'm moving into fresh-water.

    Thanx, Dave.
    Should have enough $$$ to buy a couple of boats then.

  19. #19
    Member BluNosDav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    450

    Default

    The money from my Orca is going into a down payment on a house around Anchorage.
    AK's housing market doesn't seem as "depressed" as the market I'm selling in? (OUCH !!!)
    After our upcoming house-hunting trip . . . . . IF? there's anything left over . . . . .
    I'll try to pick out ONE (small) boat.
    Thanx, Dave.

  20. #20
    Member Adventures's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    278

    Default

    flat bottom river boats will get you a lot of places. We even take our 20 foot out in the bay in Whittier on calm days
    Justin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •