Thread: Snow Kiting

Default Snow Kiting

Just want to see if there are any kiters out in this forum. I have an 8m Ozone Access, and usually kite portage, wasilla area lakes, eklutna, and in Anchorage.

Default really?

How much does that stuff cost? I'd be very interested in checking it out. Do you use regular downhill type stuff? Tele or alpine or some burly x-country? I have never seen anyone ski-kiting. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    How much does that stuff cost? I'd be very interested in checking it out. Do you use regular downhill type stuff? Tele or alpine or some burly x-country? I have never seen anyone ski-kiting. Thanks!
    It's somewhat expensive (at least for my student's budget) but I think worth it.
    If I remember correctly I paid $650 (no shipping charge and 10% discount) for the kite and about $200 for the harness (harness itslef was $160 + outrageous shipping charge).
    Here's a good place in Anchorage for kiting stuff - www.kitealaska.com. I bought my kite from them - very nice guys (I should've bought my harness from them too).
    I use my randonee skis (alpine touring) and downhill skis for kiting. Many people use their snowboards, and I think I saw someone with tele gear - it all depends what are you used to. Some people even do it on ice skates.
    It's pretty easy to learn how to kite.
    The only downside around here for a beginner is that it's hard to find perfect wind - it's either too weak or too strong with gusts. Also I wish we had more open terrain like Eureka closer to town - I've only been kiting on lakes so far, I'd like to try going uphill.