Thread: How to Unload Cartridges

Default How to Unload Cartridges

I inherited a PILE of ammunition (some new, most reloads), most of which is for calibers I don't own. I've sold most all of the new stuff and am left with a bunch of well-documented reload boxes. I've tried selling the reloads but even though they are well-documented, nobody wants them. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to shoot someone's reloads though. My thought is rather than destroy them, I'd like to remove the bullets and powder and try to sell them as primed brass.

Is there a safe way to remove the bullet? Can it be done with a pair of pliers or could that possibly set off the round? Any suggestions are very appreciated!

If you have a reloading press a collet bullet puller works great, if not a pnumatic bullet puller is your only other option. If you want to get rid of them you might be best to just give them away to a buddy who might want them or invest in the puller. Pnumatice is about $20 bucks and alot of workif you have a bunch. What calibers are you dealing with?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    If you have a reloading press a collet bullet puller works great, if not a pnumatic bullet puller is your only other option. If you want to get rid of them you might be best to just give them away to a buddy who might want them or invest in the puller. Pnumatice is about $20 bucks and alot of workif you have a bunch. What calibers are you dealing with?
    What he said +1
    But another option is to put them all a box and post it in the 'ammo dump' down by swap-n-sell . . . odd lot ammo for best offer.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

You didn't say whether you reload or not. If you have a press you can pull the bullets with a set of side cutters or good pliers. You run the round up in the press with out any die in it and grab the bullet with pliers ( use large washer between pliers and press ) and lower the round. It destroys the bullet though. I think you would get the most return by selling the bunch as components on ammo dump as Andy said, and you won't have to mess with them. The bullets are probably worth as much as the brass if not battered while removing them. Tells us what you have and make a fair price as components and they will sell.

A $15 hammer type puller will work pretty quick You need a good place to do some hammering. The kitchen table probably wont work. I've unloaded lots of rounds with the Inertia or hammer type pullers. What calibers do you have?

Sounds like you need more guns to shoot them!

Sorry, that was a little smart mouthed.
    I've pulled alot with a hammer type puller, it gets old real fast though.

That wasn’t smart mouth, that was smart. I have used that excuse to buy guns “Honey I have all this ammo so it’s cheaper to just buy the gun for that than ammo for these guns.” Also used “But see I have dies and most of the stuff to load for this more expensive one and nothing for the cheaper one.” It’s getting harder all the time to come up with good stories so the last two just showed up and I used the “They must have got romantic in the dark in there” one I learned here.

She, me, and the guns are all still here!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy you just need to reach the point where she stops counting. Yes the best value can probably be had by selling as is for components.
    Alex

Thanks guys. I've got such a random assortment going on and yes, I am in the market for a .338 since I have so much of it! I do reload and have a press. Does the collet puller save the bullet? There were 2 recommendations on using 'Ammo Dump' (I tried once and got very little response. Also very little response from Alaska'sList.). When you say the best money would be selling as components, are you implying to sell all the bullets as one lot with each caliber of primed brass separate? The other suggestion was a random 'box of ammo' on the ammo dump. I'd like to pull the bullets and be selling safe components I think.

Here is a list of SOME of the calibers I have here: 380auto, 35Rem, 340 WbyMag, 257 Roberts, 7mm-08, 458, 250 Savage, 7mm STW, 35 Whelen, 7mm WM, .338.

If anyone is interested let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by aaalaska View Post
    Andy you just need to reach the point where she stops counting. Yes the best value can probably be had by selling as is for components.
    Alex
    HAHAHahaha I’m guessing yours ain’t an accountant. I lost count 20 years ago, she's got a dang spred sheet wth numbers, values, and what I paid . . . or told her I paid anyway. Dang been counter! That’s okay though, she lets me get whatever I want so long as she can roll her eyes some about it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by iturner8 View Post
    Thanks guys. I've got such a random assortment going on and yes, I am in the market for a .338 since I have so much of it! I do reload and have a press. Does the collet puller save the bullet? There were 2 recommendations on using 'Ammo Dump' (I tried once and got very little response. Also very little response from Alaska'sList.). When you say the best money would be selling as components, are you implying to sell all the bullets as one lot with each caliber of primed brass separate? The other suggestion was a random 'box of ammo' on the ammo dump. I'd like to pull the bullets and be selling safe components I think.

Here is a list of SOME of the calibers I have here: 380auto, 35Rem, 340 WbyMag, 257 Roberts, 7mm-08, 458, 250 Savage, 7mm STW, 35 Whelen, 7mm WM, .338.

Yes a collet type press mounted puller will save the bullets but you are gonna need quite a list of collets to match your list there. The hammer (kinetic) type are one size fits most so much cheaper but much more work to pull a bunch . . . got an energetic young boy around?

Like I said if it was me I would put them all in a box and tell what I know and ask for offers. If I got no offers I’d ether sit on them or give them away and/or some of both. You are not gonna make enough $ pulling bullets to pay but it is your deal and I’ve done a lot of things that didn’t pay just because that was the way I wanted to do it. You might break even on money buying the collet stuff if you through in your time, then your work turns into more tools at the reedy for the next batch of odd ammo you find.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

IMHO, reloads are often produced for a certain rifle and are only safe in that rifle. I WOULD NEVER SHOOT EVERYONE RELOADS, cheap ammo is not worth loosing an eye over or ruining your rifle. There is a reason you have had little interest in the reloads, even after you pull the bullets there really is no way to know if they have MAGNUM rifle primer or LARGE rifle primers. The bullets can at least be weighed and possibly IDed. The powder will also be UNKNOWN.

Loose factory ammo will at least be to SAAMI standards and should be safe in any firearm of that caliber.

Here is a link to using a collet to pull bullets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuoIrpc6DzU

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=680804

Be careful and good luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by iturner8 View Post

A collet type puller is the best way to go, if you are disassembling cartridges in quantity. I like the Hornady version because it uses a Toggle, that makes it faster and more exacting.

You would need, not only the Puller, but a Collet for each caliber. I've used mine, quite a lot, and haven't damaged a bullet yet.

Your idea of disassembly, seems to be, a sound, one, if it is cost effective, because there wouldn't be the liability concerns.

I might be interested in the 7mm Weatherby Mags., depending on the price and quantity, of course. I can always disassemble them and reuse the brass and bullets myself, if it seems warranted.

If you like, you can PM me with the info, Load, quantity, and price, and I'll say yay, or nay. Tell me about the 380s too.

Thanks.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I'm interested in the 35Rem and I would pull them down as I don't shoot anybody elses reloads. How many do you have and what price? List other cals as well. I shoot some real oddballs. Someone will want what you have.

I just posted a comprehensive list of all my ammo, cartridges, and components on the Ammo Dump, check it out and get ahold of me if interested.

I think I forgot to include on the list the 454 Casull Winchester Primed Brass (100ct) new in box. $70

rbuck351: The 35 Rem I have is a single box of once-fired brass. $10

Rbuck351 is right on the money. I have unloaded ammo for thirty years with my press and the dies removed. HOWEVER, if you use a pair of plier type wire strippers to grip the bullet it will be hardly marked and perfectly reusable.