Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 win

Default 300 win

at the request of my firend who is looking at buying a new rifle, he wanted to know what everyones thought was between the remington, ruger, savage & tika. so any input he would like to hear. he won't spend over $800 for a rifle, evan tryed to sell him one of mine but he dose not want a 338.

When I was purchasing mine, the choice was between Remington and Savage. I decided to go with the Reminton because of the availability at the time and have no regrets (big game blood count since I purchased mine; 5. at various ranges). I researched both and would have gone either way. The one thing I will say about Savage is if they decide to go that route, ensure to get the accu-trigger.

I was in the market last year for a new rifle to replace my wood/blue Ruger M77 in 300 win. I'm a lefty and I wanted stainless/composite with tang safety. I found two options ~ Browning and Savage. I own the Browning in stainless stalker .375 and love it and just about bought another browning in 300 win mag ~ however it came with the BOSS system, which I despise. I found a Savage .325 WSM at Mt. View Sports. After looking at the ballistics of the .325 and learning more about the accu-trigger ~ I pulled the trigger.

I love the rifle and will buy a Savage without hesitation. My only complaint is magazine only hold 2 WSM.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I would personally go with a tikka, but that is just me. Any rifle you buy will probably work though!

I have to agree with northway, all of them are great companies and you should not have any issues with any rifle they produce. With that said the Savage and Tikka seem to run a little cheaper in price and not give up anything in quality.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I have to agree with northway, all of them are great companies and you should not have any issues with any rifle they produce. With that said the Savage and Tikka seem to run a little cheaper in price and not give up anything in quality.
    All depend what 700 he gets as well they have the base model 700 SPS in sportsman for 479.00 something like that. I don't know if you priced the new savages latley but holly %@&! they are pushing the 500 dollar mark these days. I know you can get the Savage Edge and the Stevens for alot less. The tikka's are in the mid 550's last time I looked. But anymore when I look at new gun prices I cringe and shake my head and go buy me a 5 dollar cup of coffee from Starbucks LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    All depend what 700 he gets as well they have the base model 700 SPS in sportsman for 479.00 something like that. I don't know if you priced the new savages latley but holly %@&! they are pushing the 500 dollar mark these days. I know you can get the Savage Edge and the Stevens for alot less. The tikka's are in the mid 550's last time I looked. But anymore when I look at new gun prices I cringe and shake my head and go buy me a 5 dollar cup of coffee from Starbucks LOL.
    That's because you spent all your $$ on that polaris snowmachine with a melted clutch! Better cut back on STARBUCKS!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    That's because you spent all your $$ on that polaris snowmachine with a melted clutch! Better cut back on STARBUCKS!
    **** what I do to you... I know I'm not big money like you, I'm just struggling Soldier living in my trailer house in wasilla LOL. If I remember right you like drinking fruity flavored coffee as well... Serious note I have been eyeing a ruger 77RS with the circassian wood stock in the 375 H&H on sale on sportsman for $1100 nice rifle if I could only get momma to buy off on it...

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    at the request of my firend who is looking at buying a new rifle, he wanted to know what everyones thought was between the remington, ruger, savage & tika. so any input he would like to hear. he won't spend over $800 for a rifle, evan tryed to sell him one of mine but he dose not want a 338.
    All 4 plus many others would work fine - but it should be his decision based on feel and what he likes in appearance and function needs.
    Take him to a gun shop and hopefully play with all 4 and then tell him to close his eyes and pick one??? Not trying to be smart but its pretty hard to find 2 people that agree on all the same likes and dislikes and all 4 are good guns... For price and function the Savage line is pretty hard to beat based on simplicity and value....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

**** what I do to you... I know I'm not big money like you, I'm just struggling Soldier living in my trailer house in wasilla LOL. If I remember right you like drinking fruity flavored coffee as well... Serious note I have been eyeing a ruger 77RS with the circassian wood stock in the 375 H&H on sale on sportsman for $1100 nice rifle if I could only get momma to buy off on it...
    Always easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

LMAO! Just go buy it man! You know you want it! I've got a great .375 ultra mag for sale! Will part with it pretty reasonably!

I Picked up a Browning 300 Win this winter ,( my old one is 40 now )
    best retire it and hang it on the wall .

Is that 800 for gun and scope or just gun? I own several of all of those except the t3. I love them all and they all shoot sub moa. The only difference I have noticed was the rem 700 have better resale if you decide to sell and take a little work to shrink the groups down. Savage shoot great from the box not as much resale value and ugly barrel nut. All of these I overlook when I see less than 1/4 5 shot group at 100 yards. I like the 16/116 model lines myself. Ruger is hit and miss for accuracy. My 22-250 is amazing where I had a 7pm from them and it would not shoot groups for the life of me. Have him feel a few and if possible shoot them to get the feel of recoil from each. They are all a little bit different in stock design so felt recoil changes

I would buy the cheapest of any of the rifles mentioned and turn the savings to optics dont go cheap on optics. Most people cant shoot as good as the rifle they purchase.

With the list mentioned, the Tikka is the hands down out of the box MOA shooter. However, it is a light rifle, 6#6oz. (IIRC) it has a hard rubber recoil pad. If he not accustomed to some recoil, it could be a problem. Limbsaver makes a great screw on pad but will lengthen the LOP about 3/16". Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    I would buy the cheapest of any of the rifles mentioned and turn the savings to optics dont go cheap on optics. Most people cant shoot as good as the rifle they purchase.
    Your correct with your recommendation to get a high quality scope. However the same should be true with the rifle. If your rifle cannot shoot accurately, it won't make any difference if you have a garage sale Bushnell or a Schmidt & Bender. You have to find a common sense level of each.

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    ruger hands down...and only because you dont have winchester listed. mauser style action and basic quality old school bolt rifle...nuff said.

but thats just me

I'm just an old fool that's probably been around too long already, but my 2c....
    Today people seem to get caught up in numbers and statistics.. I'd say 1st go for the fit.. if it feels comfortable how does it feel for recoil, then ... if necessary talk about optics... I didn't think I needed anything more than iron sights until the last few years and I let one of the kids put a 4x scope on my old rifle..
    I came back to Alaska in 1972, I had an el cheapo Rem mod 788 in 308 caliber.. I dropped a couple moose and a caribou or 2 with it, and I don't mind telling you, those moose took a long time dying even though they'd been shot correctly in the "boiler room"... I saw what a .300 Win Mag could do, so the next ad I saw for a used 300 Win Mag, I bought it... It was made by Winchester, as a model 70... but it was sold as a SEARS mod 53... only difference was in the stock... Maybe SEARS bid out the stocks too... but my 300 WM had a much lighter recoil than a standard Winchester mod 70....!!! I compared it against more than one Winchester... No, I'm not going to list the critters that I've harvested with that old 300WM.. my point is, it fits and the recoil is negligible... I have a lot of confidence in that rifle, and I like to think it has some confidence in me.... Free advice is usually worth just about what it costs.... P.S. yes I still have that old 308 and it works quite nicely training up the grandkids... /John

I own 8 Remington 700's in different calibers and they all shoot sub moa straight out of the box. I have cdl, bdl, sps, xcr 2, all of them are excellent rifles.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

I went with the Tikka T3 Lite in 300WSM and love it. Smoothest action you'll find, super trigger, floated barrel, lightweight, accuracy is superb with factory and handloads, and it used to be (might still be?) cheaper than the other brands. They have a plastic detachable magazine, who cares, vehicles are mostly plastic these days too, it's plenty strong. Have fun...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast