Thread: Seward Fishing Question

Default Seward Fishing Question

How far west or east of Resurection Bay do you have to go to get into a little bigger halibut? I've found a couple of decent "chicken spots", but haven't stuck a good halibut yet. And I haven't felt like traveling out to Monteque or west to Nuka Bay.

Try and find new spots then. Fish 'around' your chicken patches. Be patient while on anchor and fish large, whole herring or salmon tails. The big fish will come.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

The heads of Red Salmon are excellent halibut bait...../John

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    How far west or east of Resurection Bay do you have to go to get into a little bigger halibut? I've found a couple of decent "chicken spots", but haven't stuck a good halibut yet. And I haven't felt like traveling out to Monteque or west to Nuka Bay.
    Do a search on here for AKCAPT sharing some quality locations out of Seward. Probably several months back, sometime last summer. Every year, it seems, he posts some outstanding info for the private boater on where to get good halibut out of Seward.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Learn to fish the kelp 30ft or less use chum bags and big baits. Can be slow but fun. Look for places that back eddy. Good luck and hold on!! PS try small jigs right behind your chun bag.

Lots of good info here if you search Seward Halibut or specific place names. Try fishing benches and drop offs along the fifty fathom line at any of the capes to the east. Look for bait on your sounder, anchor up, run out several chum bombs and wait on the fish to come in.

AKCapt knows most every hole in all the surrounding area and may be able to help you if you pm him. For me personally the good halibut fishing out east starts at elrington and out weat start past cloudy cape a bit.
    Boatless