Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Chronograph??

Default Which Chronograph??

So I figured it would be fun to see how fast my buddy reloads the stuff he works up for me and other rounds so I am looking at buying a chronograph. Some look like they don't work well below freezing which is bogus I realize the FPS will be slower but it should still read.

Anyways, what is a good chronograph are the models with the little remotes worth it?

Don't need the latest and greatest but a decent model that is pretty idiot proof (remember I am the one that will be running it ) would be nice and work in cold weather.

Thanks for any input.

Seems like a hundred years ago I bought a PACT. It worked well for me. It has wires running from the box to the screens so you can control the box on the bench. Simple enough for me to use. I've never tried to use it in the cold. I just checked their site and they've changed a LOT since I bought mine!

I have the Alpha Chrony, $120 something,
    has the remote that sits on the bench, "A very nice almost critical option" in my opinion.
    If you have any issues with poor readings, even the ability to see it clearly, etc. when at a range,
    going out to switch it on/off you have to wait to "Go Cold on the range," vs. just reaching over to your remote to deal with it.
    The cord reaching out there does seem wierd but have had no problems, I'd recommend this model for sure, got the advice from some of the heavyweights on these forums, after having problems with my first one,

I started out with the Prochrono model $100 something, and it worked well for about 1000rds, then went totally unreliable on me.
    I don't think it is built as solid state either, lot of plastic, etc.
    I started noticing that ALL of the steady shooters at our range here were using the same model also, either the red one or the blue one, it's Alpha or Beta Master or something but the fold out metal case ones, so I went with that, very happy now

It seems keeping the battery warm may be something to deal with on all of them? I've had "seeming issues with cold" on both mine, (Kodiak, so not really so cold right, maybe 20F and humid windy, brrr) the readings can get erratic after you've been at it for like an hour out there, (just meaning you'll get an error signal instead of a good speed,) and I've heard you can just get a handwarmer and wrap in with the battery

So far I'm wrapping mine in a rag to insulate a bit after keeping battery in my pocket while setting up to warm it, then have a spare if I start to get errors, have spare battery in pocket as I shoot. When cold I just turn it off and back on when ready to fire, seems to work,(and thus, even more, the value of remote control)

I'd sure like to hear more about how the northerners work with them, in winter

You'll sure have fun with it tho, very interesting info for all the stuff you are shooting, from .22 to shotgun slugs, well worth the investment, Easy to use, is an understatement
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Shooting cronies have pros/cons. The pros are that they are easy to set up, they are cheap if you accidentilly kill them, and they are accurate when they read. The con is they are very sensitive to lighting, and during winter when you have the sun low to the horizon and light reflected off the snow, it is very difficult to the screens properly shaded to get a reading.

I killed my chrony with an errant gas check and have been trying to convince myself to pull the trigger on an Oehler. I know I won't be satisfied with anything else, but they aren't cheap.

totally out of line with where I think this thread is pointing but the system put out by RSI looks pretty slick. http://shootingsoftware.com/chronographs.htm they have an IR module that should kill any worries regarding the lighting conditions. I also like the idea of being able to download the days shooting results to the computer. Pushing $300 for the full IR setup though but if you shoot it you can just replace the bits and pieces you blasted instead of the whole thing.

I bought mine back when Danial Boone rec it for hatchet throwing and it still works today. Original one had cardboard guides that worked great for arrows but first time I shot a rifle I blew the cardboard to shreds! Yehaw....
    Anyway this little unit has served me well and yes the batteries seem to not last long in the cold so I always keep a couple spares handy.
    The one Kodiakrain suggests sounds good and if popular there must be a reason...

Chrony OpenClosed3.jpgThis is what I have and it looks like it did when I bought mine - can't remember the date but there were only 13 stars on our flag I think...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I bought my PACT used in 1990. I then used it for many years without any issues. Eventually the internal rechargeable battery gave out and I wrote PACT to ask if they could replace it. Even though I told them I had bought it used, they sent me a brand new updated version free. ( standard replaceable battery now)

Still using it with no problems. Canít beat that.

Thanks guys. Was able to pick up a similar model to both Kodiakrain and Smokey who appear to both be running the Alpha Chrony. Was able to find a Beta Chrony with remote for $125 shipped so I went that route. Should add to some fun if nothing else at the range.

Yep Smokey, that's the one I have, and yours is, "yet another story of the endurance, and trouble free use of them."
    Great to hear, Thanks

Lanche, I think you guys got a real good one, no doubt going to be plenty happy with it.

I would suggest if you are going to be mounting on a tripod, that you get a good heavy one, not a cheaper one.
    Yeah, ok I'll have to tell why,.....
    Wind,....that's me, trying to shoot in kodiak in winter anyway, when I shouldn't have,
    and whoa, there goes the Chrony,.... crash, ....bummer.
    Those light diffusers can act like a sail if gusting,...(grin)

Seriously tho, even in nice weather, as you watch them at work, there's a fair amount of shock wave even out at fifteen feet from the muzzle
    that is outside that bullet and if you try the cheap Wally tripod, y'kno the $20 ones? You might regret it, not sure if it affects the readings if unstable ??

If it is, a bit windy, the light diffusers are really not critical very much of the time. I'm the only guy in Kodiak who still uses them. The old timers just use the bottom half of the rods, with the brass tips, so they can line up through them and forego the plastic tops
    I've only had one lighting condition where I was having problems and that was late evening with strong sun coming in from the side one time. Otherwise the flat light or sunlight in Kodiak is good for excellent Chrony Results.

Have fun, "Going Gearhead" at the range,

Check out my Tikka Break-In day, in February, woohoo, (was a nice calm day tho)
    just a classic Kodiak winter shootin' day, carefullllll, another reason for a remote chrony control ??
    I could barely stay on my feet out setting up the Chrony there, Gotta love the coastal winter

Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Nice Chrony Luke, you don't need a tripod though. Just go redneck... LOL

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Steve is that the RSI chrony? How do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Nice Chrony Luke, you don't need a tripod though. Just go redneck... LOL

Steve,

That is super classy there Nothing wrong with that setup at all.

I have a super stout tripod that I only use when moose hunting off a wheeler that I plan to set this bag boy up. If the wind knocks it over it probably wouldn't be the best day to play with sighting in or what not anyways, unless I was trying to learn how to shoot in the wind.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ipod_Legs.html

KodiakRain,

Dang man you need to bring ice skates with ya to the range huh?? Looking forward to putting this little setup to work for sure. Will let ya know what I think of it when I try it out, provided I don't shoot a hole through it due to poor alignment

Another question for you guys that have used chronos in the past I have 375 H&H, and a braked 338 WM, and 16" 45/70 how far out past the muzzle would you suggest setting up the chorno at so it doesn't get hit with the muzzleblast a whole bunch given those calibers?? 20 feet???

Out of those 3 I have only shot my 45-70 through the chrono and that was 10 to 15ft and had no issues.

BTW, the chrono tripod was another forum member "He who shall remain nameless" I did warn him he would see it again!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    BTW, the chrono tripod was another forum member "He who shall remain nameless" I did warn him he would see it again!!!

Steve
    He must be in good shape lugging that little tote and load of firewood around for a tripod.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I generally place mine about 10 - 15 feet out from muzzle - tried it once at about 3 feet with a 12 ga and slugs - 20in bbl - they seem to be well constructed as mine held up well when it flew through the air as I am a witness...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Default They Can Take It

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Will let ya know what I think of it when I try it out, provided I don't shoot a hole through it due to poor alignment

Another question for you guys that have used chronos in the past I have 375 H&H, and a braked 338 WM, and 16" 45/70 how far out past the muzzle would you suggest setting up the chorno at so it doesn't get hit with the muzzleblast a whole bunch given those calibers?? 20 feet???
    Luke, Not to Worry man,
    those Beta's can take it, (your potential mis-alignment issues, I mean)
    There's a guy in Kodiak with one that looks like it's been around a while, maybe as long as Smokey's, and it has a clean .30 cal hole through the front face of it,
    apparently didn't do anything to the sensors, still working fine,.... pretty tough looking but a pretty good advertisement for the Chrony Master's

As far as distance from muzzle, 15ft is plenty, your remote cord is not much longer than that, mine is anyway, only about fifteen if it is stretched to the bench, so kind of defines how far out you can go.
    I was worried when launching 00Buck thru mine, and it did do some rocking in that blast but had no problems with accurate reads.

Geez Steve, I was gonna ask, "so, what's the set-up time on that classic?"
    Actually, if I had the option I would use a small card table or something vs. tripod.

But at the north of town range in Kodiak, I have to shoot at about a 15 degree upward angle to get to 100yds, so my chrony has to be raised up a ways more than normal if shooting straight. So Steve's (or his mystery friends ??) setup could work good for ya.

A stout tripod is good tho, don't worry,
    you'll line it up,...and then line it up,.... and then line it up again,....shouldn't hit it ??

I have Chrony stump in a clearcut I shoot at. I'm grateful those loggers made a nice level cut for me.

Pact for me..

Be prepared to be depressed when you first start using that Chronograph. Odds are that you are shooting much slower than you think you are.

I have the Blue Chrony, Beta I think, and it works fairly well and not real expensive. When the sun is low , the light striking from the side can cause error problems. Usually a piece of dark paper taped to a sun screen upright to shade the eye will fix this. Also in low light or on days it just doesn't want to see the bullet, it helps to paint the bullet with a black marker. I have used mine at zero without problems if there is enough light.
    For a whole lot of reasons the velocity numbers you read about in ads and on bullet boxes and such tend to be Highly Optimistic or HO followed by a couple more HOs so that when I see some of these fantastic numbers all I can say is HO HO HO those are really funny. The factories will do what it takes to make the next whiz bang magnum outperform older larger cases by using longer barrels, longer throats the fastest of a hundred barrels and anything else they can think of. So, yeah, don't be dissapointed when your rifle does't quite hit the velocity that it's supposed to. Some do, many don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I killed my chrony with an errant gas check and have been trying to convince myself to pull the trigger on an Oehler. I know I won't be satisfied with anything else, but they aren't cheap.
    They are worth every penny & you won't regret the purchase. I've used the model 33 for over 30 years and last year picked up the 35P. I'll give my 33 to the son-in-law and use the 35P this coming summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    So I figured it would be fun to see how fast my buddy reloads the stuff he works up for me and other rounds so I am looking at buying a chronograph. Some look like they don't work well below freezing which is bogus I realize the FPS will be slower but it should still read.

Anyways, what is a good chronograph are the models with the little remotes worth it?

Don't need the latest and greatest but a decent model that is pretty idiot proof (remember I am the one that will be running it ) would be nice and work in cold weather.

Thanks for any input.
    To make it work in cold weather you only need to sandwich the battery between two handwarmers.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast