Thread: Garretts in the 1895 Guide

Default Garretts in the 1895 Guide

Curious to know if any of the bretheren have actually used the 45-70 420 Hammerheads in a real world defensive situation against bear?

Also, whether there are any feeding issues from the 1895 with these loads?

Potentially, this strikes me as one very viable option for AK if and when the "shiss" hits tthe fan.

As they say, in the gravest extreme.

Appreciate your direct feedback where possible.

Nobody I know of sells Garretts up here. From what I've heard they are a PITA to get through the mail.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

some gunwriter I forget his named used them in Africa on Cape Buffaloe and he shot two with one bullet. The write up was in shooting times or hunting cant remember. He did not intend on shooting two Cape Buffaloe but it happened. The PH told him he never seen that happen before. He was shootign a 45-70 in a marlin.

I know some hardcore bear hunter from up here will pipe in and say cape Buffaloe are nothing compared to a brown bear.

I bought 3 boxes a couple winters ago paid close to $70 shipping but they are worth it if you don't have access to hard cast, I have not bagged anything yet, was bought for back up purposes.

323,in the article you recall the ammunition was CorBon's 405fpp. Basically the same bullet as the "new" Barnes Buster, except Petes been making them for 25yrs. I see no reason the Hammerheads wouldn't work but with the shipping hassles it would be easier and maybe cheaper to buy hardcast bullets from one of the local makers and load your own, even if you have to buy dies if you plan to shoot much the bill will get steep from Garretts. Or you could swing by and get some CorBon.

I have em. Haven't knocked a bear down with them yet, but am "very" impressed with the penetration ability. They are a pain to get them up here, but I had them shipped to someone that was heading up here for a visit. Shoot them sparingly, and you'll have them for years. I Like em.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    323,in the article you recall the ammunition was CorBon's 405fpp. Basically the same bullet as the "new" Barnes Buster, except Petes been making them for 25yrs. I see no reason the Hammerheads wouldn't work but with the shipping hassles it would be easier and maybe cheaper to buy hardcast bullets from one of the local makers and load your own, even if you have to buy dies if you plan to shoot much the bill will get steep from Garretts. Or you could swing by and get some CorBon.
    Thanks Kid I knew it was one of them anyhow it was a good article and showed what the 45-70 was capable of doing!