Thread: Anybody ever catch...

Default Anybody ever catch...

A fin clipped winter king in homer/seward/kodiak?

Just wondering
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    A fin clipped winter king in homer/seward/kodiak?

Just wondering
    This question is a dandy if they clip Washington hatchery kings. I would assume they mark the otolith. Does anybody know for sure?

I'm pretty sure they don't mark the otoliths down south. Most will have a teeny little Coded Wire Tag (CWT) in the snout though.
    Nice Marmot.

I caught an 11 pound fin clipped (adipose) king last year in the winter king derby. I took it to weigh ins, and they told me it was a hatchery fish and asked if I would allow them to take the head. Two months later I got a letter stating that my fish originated in a hatchery in WA. Willamette(sp) I believe.....

I have my coffee ready - this one should be a BONFIRE.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    This question is a dandy if they clip Washington hatchery kings. I would assume they mark the otolith. Does anybody know for sure?
    "To make it possible for fishers to distinguish between hatchery and wild salmon, WDFW crews started clipping the adipose fins (mass marking) of hatchery coho in 1996, and hatchery Chinook in 1999. On average, state hatchery crews mark more than 100-million fish each year for release from state and tribal hatcheries. Significant coho selective fisheries were allowed in 1999 and 2000 (from juveniles clipped in 1997 and 1998), and Chinook selective fisheries have incrementally expanded towards the end of this decade, in which 2010 saw the first coastal Chinook selective fishery."

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hatcheries/overview.html
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

lots of "clippies" in the winter king fishery, and all the CWT data has been from hatcheries in canada and the pacific northwest.
    F&G did a big study where they tagged hatchery kings from ninilchick and ship creek, as well as out migrating smolts from both the kenai and deep creek for several years, and continued the tag recovery survey for 5 years after the last tagging.
    none of these tagged fish were ever recovered in the winter fishery, though at least one big kenai spawner was caught on halibut gear out by the barrens.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/