Thread: 338 Win Mag and 180gr Accubonds

Default 338 Win Mag and 180gr Accubonds

Going to try and hunt with the 338WM exclusively this year. Interested in any experience with the 180AB and if so a pet load? Got to be a flat shooter. Thinking of working this up over the summer for Dall and Blacktails and might even try it on Wolves next winter. Will stick with 225 TSX and 250 NP for Bears though. TS

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

how far do you want to shoot? The BC for the accubonds changes a bunch from 180 to 225. The 180's spit out about as fast as the 300 win, just not as efficient as the .308. I looked at the velocities on the nosler web sight. The 180's look to be about 3000fps.

TS, I know you have a stable of rifles and ask about the .338. However, why not try a softer recoiling 325wsm? Shoot a 200gr Accubond at over 3100fps, with a 200 yard zero you have -5.96 inches of drop @300yards, -17.37 inches @400 and -35.19 @ 500 yards and still have 2052 ft lbs of killing energy @500

Come over to the short side!!!

Don't intend any disrespect Sir and will delete this post if you want me to, just thinking out loud.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

BTDT. I started shooting all the short mags to include the 4 WSMs and 2 RSaums as soon as they came out. I think I am finished with all of the short mags. In fact I moved all my 325 stuff off a while ago. I actually owned, loaded for and shot three different 325WSMs: Kimber Montana, Nosler 48 and even a SC Win 70 Ext WX (like yours Steve). I worked the short 8mm hard for a few years, mainly at the bench but it always found me searching. At this time I am playing with the 338WM. I have never really hand loaded much for the 338WM. This is my second 338WM and I'm really attempting to make it my do all one Alaskan hunting rifle cartridge. I didn't feel that my 6.0 lb Kimber Montana was soft recoiling (on the bench) especially when I was working up the 220gr Swift A-Frame load. In the long run I discovered I just don't prefer sharp shoulder cartridges even though I shot numerous 6.5x284, 284WIN, a couple of different 40degree Ackleys and various 6mm benchrest cartridges. I am aware of the inherent accuracy of a cartridge with a short squat powder column and the lack of a belt on the magnums. For hunting reliability, especially with rifle feeding I'll take long and thin over short and fat. Actually, come to think of it, I prefer long action cartridges to even .308 based cartridges. All cartridges have their capabilities and limitations, like everything in life you have to compromise. This quest for the perfect rifle, cartridge, bullet, combination is an evolving process. I believe you mentioned somewhere of thinking of going to a 375H&H for BB. Which is the real reason that I gravitate to the 338WM as my do all be all cartridge. I won't go into all the details of why I feel that the 325WSM does not provide the attributes I want in a hunting cartridge. Bottomline, the 325WSM has a lot going for it but IMHO, it will never equal the 338WM. Sure the 325WSM can be had in a lighter rifle, but, I bet my 338WM mountain rifle is just as light and handy as your 325WSM Win 70. I am not knocking anyones favorite rifle, caliber or cartridge just expressing some of my opinions. It sure is great to live in the good old USA where we have these options. TS

JOHN VIII - XXXII

TS, sorry to have wasted your time Sir.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

stid2677,

no worries, just the opposite, I figure wasting time is the purpose of an internet forum, that and engaging in discussion to express our opinions and possibly share ideas and experience. If I was concerned about wasting time I darn sure wouldn't be sitting in front of this computer screen. By the way, that is the second time you have done that and called me SIR; I have to correct you. I'll have you know I worked for a living. TS

JOHN VIII - XXXII

how far do you want to shoot? Far as possible, as often as possible.The BC for the accubonds changes a bunch from 180 to 225.Agreed 180grAB BC=.372, 200gr BC=.414 and 225gr BC=.550 The 180's spit out about as fast as the 300 win, just not as efficient as the .308.300WM 180grAB BC=.507 I looked at the velocities on the nosler web sight. The 180's look to be about 3000fps.I figure with a 24" barrel I can drive a 338WM 180grAB real close to 3200fps. I think you would be hard pressed to push a 300WM that fast. I think the 180AB in the 338WM would be in the territory of 180ABs in a 300WBY or 300RUM. Anyways I'm not considering any 30caliber or 8mm cartridge. I'm going to it with the 338WM. I need to run the ballistics. There is more than one way to skin a cat. TS

JOHN VIII - XXXII

I am pretty sure I shot my goat with a 180 accubond out of a buddies 338. In fact I think all 4 goats on the trip were taken with the same 180 accubond handloads. I don't know what the recipe was but from a terminal ballistics standpoint they made very dead goats at quite a distance. PolarisBlake may be able to provide more info on the loads as they were put together by a buddy of his as I recall. Seems like they were smoking along at north of 3100 fps.

I have seen 8 different moose, 3 grizzly bears, a black bear, and 2 goats shot with 180 accubonds out of a .338 WM in the last 4 years. All seemed to work as advertised. Going to have some more loaded up now that I get to see how fast they are going

I have zero experience with the 180's.

My 225 partitions are running 2900 +/- less than 10FPS at 1/2 grain below nosler book 5 max for IMR 4350. and are 3/4" at 100 yards. I have not shot this load (enough) at distance to reliably say what they are doing. I will work the 225 AB's this summer and I have no doubt they will perform just as good. Accuracy wise.

I have tried to shot 180 Barnes in the past and was unable to push them past 200 grain velocities. That is the extent of my 180 grain 338 WM shooting. Tried it once and never looked back.

My current load is giving me more energy than 250 grain loads and is in the limited 200 and 300 yard shooting I've done, flatter trajectory + more energy & better accuracy than ANY 250 grain load I have tried.

I know this isn't what you asked for, but thought it might be useful info from a total of 25000+ primers popped through the 338 WM.

Have several 225 partition, a few 250 partition, 2 250 SGK loads, and a seriously accurate (3 different guns) 200 grn BT load if you're interested...

shoot me a PM and we can talk. If ya wanna.

Mike

Well now, 3200 fps out of the 338win is interesting. I thought 3000fps was just fine. Two of my friends shoot 338 win in 225 gr. flat based tsx. They mess with holdover quite a bit at 300 yards during shooting practice. A flatter shooting pill has me thinking. Maybe we will try the 180 or 200 gr variety pointy bullet thing and see how it all works out. I like flat shooting rifles and not worrying about hold over to 300 yards. KISS method. I originally thought the 180g .338 bullet was for the smaller cased 338 federal and 338-06 offerings, but will have to rethink that a bit.

Put some freebore on that 338 and see what happens... You will get an increase in velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Well now, 3200 fps out of the 338win is interesting. I thought 3000fps was just fine. Two of my friends shoot 338 win in 225 gr. flat based tsx. They mess with holdover quite a bit at 300 yards during shooting practice. A flatter shooting pill has me thinking. Maybe we will try the 180 or 200 gr variety pointy bullet thing and see how it all works out. I like flat shooting rifles and not worrying about hold over to 300 yards. KISS method. I originally thought the 180g .338 bullet was for the smaller cased 338 federal and 338-06 offerings, but will have to rethink that a bit.

I'm lagging at a measely 2900 fps but don't have much holdover at 300. To be honest, I don't hold over at all & I'm well within the kill zone of every animal I have a desire to kill with my 338WM.

Wanna see how... zero @ 100, shoot at 200 and 300 on the same sheet of paper. Hint -- use a fairly long piece of paper and start at the top... ;-)

Re-zero at 200 then shoot at 100 and 300. Bet you can use a standard sheet of printer paper. If ya can't... should be fairly close.

Wanna stretch it a little further, re zero @ 250yards. Shoot at 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300 yards. Using the same aiming point on the same sheet of paper the whole way.

If ya wanna be cheap about it, work ballistic tables on paper and pick one that looks reasonable. But doing it the expensive way will give an invaluable education. That's how I did it back when it was cheap to shoot.

IMHO - keeping the bullet path under 4" high & 4" low is a reasonable flight path to work with. You can fairly easily work bullet drop past the -4" mark after that.

MPBR sighting isn't for everyone, but for this simpleton.... it works out fairly well.

TS, Years ago I shot the Barnes 175X in my 338 WM ALL of the time. I could group three shots into 3/4" all day long at 100 yds and it was not bad to shoot. I took several Moose, caribou and black bear with this bullet. Out of my 'short' 20" barrel Win Md 70 I was getting just under 3100 fps. This shoot well for several year and then I do not know what happened. I an not sure if Barnes changed the 'X' bullet but they new bullets would not group worth a S**t. I have since gone to the 225 Barnes. I want to tey the 185 Barnes but just do not have the extra mosny to play with these bullets.
    Let us know how they do for you.