Thread: Another Nunivak Musk Ox

Thumbs up Another Nunivak Musk Ox

Posting this hunt report for my brother and sister-in-law:

My wife and I spent several days on Nunivak island this February hunting the prehistoric Musk ox! After a one day delay in Bethel due to high winds and white out conditions, we were able to fly in bluebird conditions the following day. We were up and at em early the next morning, heading out across the tundra to the southwest coast of the island. After a 40 mile snowmachine ride, we spotted several groups of animals in and amongst the dunes, and decided to make a stalk on two mature bulls that were off on their own to the west of the main herd.

After a couple of close stalks and almost shots, my wife was finally able to get a clear shot at one of the bulls, and she made good on the opportunity with a direct shoulder hit that dropped him in a matter of feet! The 30 degree temperatures, sunny sky, and calm wind made for a very enjoyable skinning and quartering job. It only took a few hours and we were on our way back to town. Who would have thought that would be the last time we would see the sun for the next four days. That evening the wind started blowing, the rain and snow started falling, and the planes weren't flying. We spent the next four days as the guests of our transporter Abraham David.

Not only would I rate him an excellent transporter to the field, but he and his wife were very gracious and wonderful hosts. The accommodations were great, and they fed us like kings for the week! I would highly recommend his services if you are fortunate enough to draw the Nunivak Island tag!

Milo's footnote - 9 days of travel / delays for 1 day hunting!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Couple more photos

Gotta love that scenery.

Nancy, stop playing with the puppy.

RIGHT ON, to you both,
    and to the Ms. Huntress, (is that Nancy?) Very cool job, what an animal, Congratulations

Even with the tough weather, sounds like an Absolute Blast

Thanks for the report, what'd ya drop him with?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

thanks for posting the hunt, most defintily want to follow in your footsteps one of these days. how far was the shot? how spooky was the herd?

I don't think you could slap that smile off with a sloppy snow ball! Congrats on a nice trophy. What rifle and bullet did she use?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

She used a Tikka T3 in 300wsm with winchester xp3 factory loads.

Don't think they were terribly spooky but I'm relaying the story 2nd hand and we didn't talk about that. I know it took a while to get a clear shot.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Thanks for the note...looks like I will be heading that way next year...beautiful animal

Thanks for sharing! Congrats to your wife on the ox!

Congrats on a great hunt and getting in one bluebird day when it really counted!