Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: DB305 Kenai Brown Bear Permit

  1. #1
    Member Thumpem''s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Palmer/Wasilla
    Posts
    37

    Default DB305 Kenai Brown Bear Permit

    My wife has a DB305 permit and we are going to continue with the spring portion of her permit as she didn't get one this last fall. We hunted the Swanson river area and sucker creek. Has anyone seen anything yet? Any tips?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    499

    Default

    If I remember right that's the sterling flats area and will be tough hunting because of the thick cover. Have you thought of maybe waiting till like middle May and find a good area and try calf calling? I know some people on the predator forum have talked about recording the sound of a moose calf being attacked by a black bear on youtube and playing that. Might even be good to bike/hike down mystery creek road and predator call along the way. It might even be worth flying to see if you can see any bears or see any areas with green grass/shrubs that will be likely spots for bears to frequent.

    I've heard east to northeast of Skilak Lake is where a lot of brownies den, but I don't think this is in the DB305 area. I think this is the DB307 and this is the most likely reason why there are only 3 permits given out for DB307 because we just can't afford too many brownies to get shot on the KP. If it is in the DB305 area i recommend snowshoeing into that area in mid-april or so.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Just looked it up north and est of skilak lake is DB307. So that option is out. I've heard the moose river area is a good area to try as well.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Ha I had my compass headings all messed up last night. north of skilak lake is pointing towards the sterling hwy, anyways it would be behind skilak lake going toward the tustumena bench if there's any DB307 guys looking for tips.

  5. #5
    New member fishingis4play's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    199

    Default

    hope you have success! Please post any info you can my son drew this tag for this fall/next spring. I checked on this tag so far since they started this tag it's had 0 percent success so hope you can notch that tag and be the first of hopefully many to come. Good luck!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,131

    Smile

    Well Swanson River road has lots of bear in the Spring as they are all over some of the bait stations there so that would be the best illegal way to hunt them. For a legal method how about going out the beaches and bluffs and swamps out nikiski towards grey cliffs if you have a wheeler or 4 wheel drive?
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

  7. #7
    Member Thumpem''s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Palmer/Wasilla
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Well Swanson River road has lots of bear in the Spring as they are all over some of the bait stations there so that would be the best illegal way to hunt them. For a legal method how about going out the beaches and bluffs and swamps out nikiski towards grey cliffs if you have a wheeler or 4 wheel drive?
    I never thought about all the bear baiters. I'll have to check out Nikiski. Thanks for the reminder on the baiters. I forgot the rule on that you have to be like a mile away from a bait station right?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpem' View Post
    Thanks for the reminder on the baiters. I forgot the rule on that you have to be like a mile away from a bait station right?
    One mile from homes & cabins I thought, however I don't claim to know much about baiting Regulations. I don't think you are required to be any set distance from a unknown bait station. How are you to know where every stations is located.

  9. #9
    Member Thumpem''s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Palmer/Wasilla
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishingis4play View Post
    hope you have success! Please post any info you can my son drew this tag for this fall/next spring. I checked on this tag so far since they started this tag it's had 0 percent success so hope you can notch that tag and be the first of hopefully many to come. Good luck!
    Thanks, We were real close to geeting her bear this last fall but it wasn't a good situation so we back tracked out of there and went again later. There are a lot of bears out there around swanson river road but they are smart. We had to stay out till almost dark which was when they started walking the creeks and river. Here's a pick of my wifes feet in a track. He's a big boy.



    71654_1549643593038_1593564536_1313130_1960130_n.jpg

  10. #10
    Member Thumpem''s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Palmer/Wasilla
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    Ha I had my compass headings all messed up last night. north of skilak lake is pointing towards the sterling hwy, anyways it would be behind skilak lake going toward the tustumena bench if there's any DB307 guys looking for tips.

    No worries but thanks. I put myself in for the DB307 but didn't get it. That would be a good one.

  11. #11
    Member tyrex13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage/Soldotna
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    One might find a bait station getting lots of brown activity and find a well used brown bear trail a good distance from said station and set up an ambush/stand.

  12. #12
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    Have not seen anything down here yet but I would give the calling a try out Swanson river area this spring.
    I dont think that it would be illegal if someone was to let you know that they have a brownie hitting a bait in that area and you could try calling close by. I think the regs say you just cant hunt over a bait nothing says you cant be close to one.
    When does your season end for that hunt?

  13. #13
    Member Thumpem''s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Palmer/Wasilla
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Have not seen anything down here yet but I would give the calling a try out Swanson river area this spring.
    I dont think that it would be illegal if someone was to let you know that they have a brownie hitting a bait in that area and you could try calling close by. I think the regs say you just cant hunt over a bait nothing says you cant be close to one.
    When does your season end for that hunt?
    June15th is when it ends. We used a game caller last fall with no luck but then again there was plenty of fish for them to eat to be worried about some dying animal. Should be nice and hungry this spring though.

  14. #14

    Default

    I sent you a PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •