Thread: Outboard jet stomp grate

Default Outboard jet stomp grate

Any one own one? I heard a rumor that someone was manufacturing one. I would need one for my 150 Opti

Have heard Karold's Welding here in Fairbanks is the guy that makes them. I've seen a floor model, great idea but I think the durability is a little suspect, at least given the way that I drive =) Karold does outstanding work, I think just the nature of the exposed moving parts would make a mess of things if you hit a log just right...

I think Compeau's is where I saw the floor model... they could probably send you a picture/etc.

http://compeaus.com/

479-2271

Thumbs up

Thats a cool idea. But like Alaskan XL stated, some parts could possibly get hammered. I wonder if they bent that back portion of the grate plate up to where it would be level, instead of hanging down below the rear of the jet foot, would save its life during some sort of impact. I didn't really look, but anyone know how much they cost?

I must be missing something...............why add a stomp grate to an outboard when all you need to do is tilt the motor up and clear it?
    Tennessee

So you don't have to tilt it up and clear it.

I had one for about 3 years of running the Ivashak, and east fork of the Chena. Very shallow and rocky, there were times I had it so jammed up i had to tilt it and clean out the rocks before it would actuate. I never had problem with durability. Mine was made by a friend but modeled off the one that Karolds builds. It was very useful on the Cooper river when you dont have much time to react. Shut off the motor have a friend clear the jet and your up and running before your sucked into the cannon wall.

Quote Originally Posted by f0zzy2 View Post
    It was very useful on the Cooper river when you dont have much time to react. Shut off the motor have a friend clear the jet and your up and running before your sucked into the cannon wall.
    Good point, makes pretty good sense to me now
    Tennessee