Thread: Dm428

Default Dm428

I'll start by saying I have searched all prior posts and threads. I'm just so excited that after 10 years of applying for moose permits in base I finally drew one. With that being said I would like to hear from others who have hunted Elmendorf. I drew 428 so that means I have from Sept 6th-30th to find a Bull moose(i wont be picky) and see if I cant stick him with one of my arrows. I know that know one wants to share honey holes or favorite spots, but any info is good info. I plan on spending every chance I have wlaking the woods. I have pleanty of friends who are willing to help me pack out a Moose and I'm more than willing to walk, hike, climb, swim to the hardest to reach areas. Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully reply to my post.

The best time to hunt for bulls will be around early to mid- October when its full rut and cool temps...bulls will be more responsive.

Well that is good information except my permit is only for Sept 6th-30th. If anyone has info feel free to PM if you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan19alaska View Post
    Well that is good information except my permit is only for Sept 6th-30th. If anyone has info feel free to PM if you prefer.
    The fall hunt is definitely a tougher one than the winter. Most of the moose stay up higher and get pushed down for rut any by the snow level coming down the mountains. There are going to be SOME that hang out normally down lower, but they won't be very responsive until toward the end of your season and will be fairly spread out doing their own thing. Best way would be to travel the area a lot prior to the hunt and see if you can locate the general area that a couple are hanging out, then hope they are still in that area come opening day/week.

I'm killin' a bull around the first week of November......

Just as anchskier said, drive it, walk it, know it before season. That will be your best bet. I had Ft rich early archery two years ago and they were scarce early. I found 2 or 3 but couldn't get close enough. Lots of time afield, it can't be stressed enough. Happy hunting, hope you stick one.