Thread: canning lids

Default canning lids

can you reuse lids on kerr canning jars? and get them to seal
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Don't do it. It won't be worth the effort with maybe a third of them sealing. You can reuse the rings but not the selaed rubber coated tops.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

thank you ken I am new to all this, but after canning my dipped fish thats the only way I will put them up from now on
    Μολών λαβέ

Any questions, just PM me. They sell for a nominal fee lids. Just hang on to your caps that screw down. They can be reused. Did you smoke or just do plain? When I get my thing going this summer, I will call you to come over and take a gander. I get a big process going and it works well.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Thanks Ken I have also been wondering about this lately
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

so all the used ones I guess we will put over the top of parafin for jams and alike. We are building a wheel for the copper I am hoping to have the operation going on too. A few in the group have large pressure cookers and are going to loan them to each other so the prosessing speeds up. Maybe I will have to get you to come put on a presentation for me, for members to learn from, would ya be up to that maybe?
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Don't do it. It won't be worth the effort with maybe a third of them sealing. You can reuse the rings but not the selaed rubber coated tops.
    I agree, canning is too much work to risk a leaky lid.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

After being locked up in a one room cabin all winter with them, canning kids is a viable alternitive..............wait a minute, the subject is canning LIDS......Sorry, my bad
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

My pleasure and I have a large canner to loan too. It all depends on what you like to can. Smoked is more labor intensive but is great during the winter months, no I guess summer too. I'm still learning and I have been smoking salmon since the 70's so that should tell you how long the learning curve is.

I have to build a better smoking unit the one I built doesn't work evenly enough so believe me I know about the learning curve. I brined some of my fish in mortons sugar sure (brown sugar, salt , and smoke flavor) then canned it has just a tint of smoke taste. I will get with you on a class for a later date thanks ken, also if you need a extra cooker your welcome to mine also its a all american 915, not super sized but it works just great for me
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Any questions, just PM me. They sell for a nominal fee lids.......
    Who is selling lids for a nominal fee? I think lids are getting dang expensive. I keep my eye open for deal off season, but haven't found any.

Wonder if that is something that a group buy might fix. I wouldn’t mind getting a few years worth of lids if the price was right.

Kelvin

KelvinG,
    How much are you paying for lids (just wondering)? They are not cheap here, but not that bad. I can alot of vegies and fruit. Have not been brave enough to can fish. I like my fish as fresh as possible & canning it does not even appeal to me in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post
    KelvinG,
    How much are you paying for lids (just wondering)? They are not cheap here, but not that bad. I can alot of vegies and fruit. Have not been brave enough to can fish. I like my fish as fresh as possible & canning it does not even appeal to me in the slightest.
    About 18 cents a lid. You should try smoking your fish and then canning them. We like salmon preserved that way.

Where are you getting them for 18cents each? When I get them they tend to come with the rings and cost the same as buying complete jars. All I really want is the sealing lid - I have lots of rings.

FRED MEYER, in my days of shopping in WASHINGTON STATE, was a great source of canning supplies. lids are by the dozen for around $1.15-1.25 per.
    end of season sale was usually around .89 per doz.
    if reused within 6 months, i NEVER lost a one. went from apples/cherries/berries in summer to salsa in fall....used at least twice with NO PROBLEM!

just me.....no guarrantee!

I have read about tattlers reusable lids but not tried them. Has anyone else ever used them? http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JimsLass View Post
    I have read about tattlers reusable lids but not tried them. Has anyone else ever used them? http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/
    I haven't used the Tattlers reusable lids, but here is a link to a blog where the Alaskan writer talks about the pros and cons of using them:
    http://alaskanbargainhunter.blogspot...ds-review.html