Thread: which raspberry species is best for the Valley?

Default which raspberry species is best for the Valley?

What are the best everbearing and annual species of raspberry to plant, do you think?

Anyone want to PM me a spot on public land where I could grab a few starts?

Or is anyone thinning theirs out in a few months? I'll dig'm.

I'll be taking out couple of the golden variety this spring.Might have some reds later but after people saw our berries I can't find enough starts.
    Alex

There is a lady over by Palins house that sells them every year she has many different flavors.

Default Thanks re: offer for starts

Scott, John, Thank you both for the generous offer of some starts.

I've got 2 acres and no edibles planted (the bane of a new housing development) but you guys are helping me to right that wrong. Thanks!

If anyone else in the Valley has some raspberries overflowing the area you want them in, please let me know and I'll show up with a strong kid or two and a shovel and barrow and we can make a nice home for them. Looks like some number of weeks from now is the right time... maybe 4 weeks?

Thanks again you guys.

Been some years ago but when I was stationed at Elmo I got golden's at the Saturday market. Believe the individual was from the valley and the plants were less than $10. They were established plants and bore fruit the first year. Best variety the wife and I have ever tasted! Now I've retired from the Air Force ~ we hope to hook back up with this vendor in spring/summer when we return for good.

Don't know the name/type but these do well for me. Great pies.
    Maybe someone knows the name.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default what an edible hedge!

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Don't know the name/type but these do well for me. Great pies.
    Maybe someone knows the name.
    My gosh, that's beautiful!

I have heard though that its healthy to thin them out occasionally. Want some help doing that?

They grow into the yard & get mowed down.
    They grow into the garden 10 feet in.
    I've surrounded the garden with them,(helps keep the moose out)

Send me a PM & we'll hook up if you'd like some.
    Should be thawed enough in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    What are the best everbearing and annual species of raspberry to plant, do you think?

Anyone want to PM me a spot on public land where I could grab a few starts?

Or is anyone thinning theirs out in a few months? I'll dig'm.
    The canes of raspberries are biennial. This meant, they produce their growth during the first year, but do not flower and fruit until the second year. After canes have fruited, they die. The roots, however, are perennial and send up a new crop of canes each year while the old canes are flowering and bearing fruit.

Thumbs up Thanks for all the berry starts!

I'm used to this forum being a great way to meet cool outdoorsmen, and I did that again today. But this time that person also gave me some wonderful gifts. I've planted every one of them today, and now have an approx. 100 foot perimeter (around part of my yard) raspberry patch. Just what this house/lot needed, was some great edibles growing.

Thanks have been given in person, via rep and PM on this board, so I won't embarrass him by specifying him by name. You know who you are. Thanks!

Default Moose trimming up my yard foliage

A half hour ago I had a young cow moose eating all around the line of new raspberry starts I planted. Look closely and you'll see my soaker hose which has been on for the past 4 hours, that runs the length of the new raspberry starts. Must have been the sweet smell of new growth bringing in the moose; this is the second time in less than a week.

Lucky for me moose don't eat raspberry plants; the thorns don't sit well with them. But she's trimming the foliage all around those starts:

I have had moose work the raspberry plants over pretty good before, so don't be surprised if they do eat some.

Was out looking at our plants today. Looks like the moose top'ed all of them and about 1/2 are coming back. The other 1/2 are looking pretty dead.

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    Was out looking at our plants today. Looks like the moose top'ed all of them and about 1/2 are coming back. The other 1/2 are looking pretty dead.
    Could be I'm wrong about moose eating around the raspberries in general. All I can say is that is my experience, that they do.

Maybe I've just always had preferable food next to my raspberries. Can't say. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    So the half that's looking dead is most likely last years berry shoots. That is normal. They are biannual. The shoots that grew last year will produce this year and the new shoots this year will produce next year. Just cut back the dead shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    So the half that's looking dead is most likely last years berry shoots. That is normal. They are biannual. The shoots that grew last year will produce this year and the new shoots this year will produce next year. Just cut back the dead shoots.
    Power Drifter is correct, the dead looking stalks are probably last years producers... I've had a lot of moose strip the leaves off of raspberries in the fall, but they don't do much damage to the plants, and they might top a tender stalk or two, but as a whole they'll leave the stalks alone....

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Thanks, I will watch them. We are new to raspberries and these are starts we planted last year.

Default 50 more lineal feet planted today

Thanks to the generosity of yet another forum member here, we today planted another 50 feet around part of the perimeter between yard and forest. So that totals 150 lineal feet now planted.

Wow. Next year I plan to really be in the berries!

Thanks again to those who donated!