Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: APHA Lobbying to Increase Nonresident Drawing Permits

Default APHA Lobbying to Increase Nonresident Drawing Permits

From "The Hunting Report"
    ...On another front, APHA (Alaska Professional Hunters Association) is lobbying for a change in the way the permit drawings are conducted to give nonresidents more opportunity...
    I'm not sure how they intend to do this, unless they want a guaranteed number of set aside permits for non-residents. Does anyone here know?

Unhappy Sure

Since field biology reports are a given, and the numbers are the numbers. The only way for more non-residents to draw more tags is change the ratio of tags for resident and non-resident hunters. So instead of non-residents getting 3 % of the tags they will get 10 % of the tags, or some other pie in the sky number. IT"S Not rocket science. You've got only so many tags and Non-residents PAY MORE, thus they will get prefferential treatment: Residents get the shaft.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

As it is now, everyone has the same probability of being drawn, irregardless of residential status, isn't that correct? The only way to change that idea is to set aside a guaranteed number, either for residents or non-residents, it seems to me. Or, does someone actually know what is being proposed?

Unhappy Correct Me IF I"M Wrong

My understanding is for "Guided HUNTS" in Alaska guides get the permits not the person using them. That way guides get a set aside number of tags. THey will just increase that number, which in turn will be deducted from the permits drawn for. MY TAKE ON IT!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

No, that's no the way most of the drawing permits work. In the drawing process residents and non-resident hunters are applying for the same tags, so everyone has the same chances of getting drawn. The exception is Kodiak brown bear permits where there are seperate drawing permit numbers for residents and non-residents.

Default That Said

Are youtalking about guided or non-guided hunts?

Both. For example, the drawing for sheep in 14C, both residents and non-residents apply for the same tags. If a non-resident draws a tag he must hire a guide to hunt sheep. Whether it's a guided hunt or not everyone has the same chance of drawing, with Kodiak bears being the exception.

Deleted. Answered the wrong question
    Last edited by DPhillips; 02-27-2007 at 13:17. Reason: Answered the wrong question

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by DPhillips View Post
    From "The Hunting Report"

...On another front, APHA (Alaska Professional Hunters Association) is lobbying for a change in the way the permit drawings are conducted to give nonresidents more opportunity...
    I'm not sure how they intend to do this, unless they want a guaranteed number of set aside permits for non-residents. Does anyone here know?
    I don't know, but I can give it a good guess:

Money.

It talks. BS walks.

Both. For example, the drawing for sheep in 14C, both residents and non-residents apply for the same tags. If a non-resident draws a tag he must hire a guide to hunt sheep. Whether it's a guided hunt or not everyone has the same chance of drawing, with Kodiak bears being the exception.

DO I UNDERESTAND THIS CORRECTLY - THAT NONALASKANS HAVE THE SAME CHANCE OF GETTING DRAWN FOR A DRAWING SHEEP TAG AS AN ALASKAN RESIDENT? SINCE THERE ARE DEFINATELY MORE NONRESIDENT SHEEP HUNTERS THAN RESIDENT SHEEP HUNTERS TO ME THAT SAYS THAT MORE SHEEP DRAWING TAGS GO TO NONRESIDENTS THAT TO RESIDENTS. IF MY REASONING IS CORRECT THEN IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THIS SHOULD BE CHANGED. EVEN 10% OF THE DRAWING TAGS GOING TO NONRESIDENTS IS OVERLY GENEROUS TO ME AND WAY MORE GENEROUS THAN WHEN COMPARED TO THE OUT OF STATE ALLOCATIONS OTHER WESTERN STATES HAVE IN PLACE FOR NONRESIDENT HUNTERS APPLYING FOR THEIR SHEEP TAGS. IS THERE SOME REASON WHY ALASKA SHOULD BE MORE GENEROUS WITH NONRESIDENT SHEEP TAGS THAN THE STATES IN THE L48 ARE WITH THEIR SHEEP TAGS? SEEMS TO ME ALASKAN RESOURCES SHOULD PRIMARILY BE FOR ALASKANS.

where did you get numbers that say theres more nonresident sheep hunters than resident? if you want to know who draws the tags, just check the results when they come out in the paper and read addresses. might even be able to get that info from F&G too.

I think some people are getting a little too wired about nonresident sheep hunters but everytime this draw stuff comes up, no ones complaining about the kodiak system for bears. tags are almost 50-50, for res and non res and residents have about a 3 percent chance at a tag and most res have about a 50-100 percent chance, depending on which area, theres far fewer bears shot on kodiak each year than sheep in the whole state, but sheep has everyones back hair on end...why is that?

not looking for an emotionaly charged response, just an idea why the two are viewed so differently.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

One other way is to limit the amount of non-resident guides.Do you think that might help the resident chances of drawing?

Default 10%

I think there is a big push to make all drawing hunts NO MORE THAN 10% for non-resident hunters. That is in my opinion fair and just, just like the lower 48.

BRNBR, I thought about the same thing you brought up on Kodiak. I would probably complain a lot more, but know I really can't hunt Kodiak until I retire or can afford to take leave without pay. I KNOW I can hunt sheep each fall. It shouldn't be that way for brown bears either.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I think there is a big push to make all drawing hunts NO MORE THAN 10% for non-resident hunters. That is in my opinion fair and just, just like the lower 48.
    That's not the way I read what the APHA is lobbying for. They are wanting to increase the number of drawing permits for non-residents. I have no idea what success rate non-residents are averaging right now. In the past, it seems no-one really liked the idea of preference points or limiting the number of non-residents tags in the drawings.

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, though. I was hoping one of our members that was a member of APHA would let us know. That would be much better than to leave us guessing for ourselves. Takes out a lot of mistrust if we know the real truth, rather than having to rely on speculation. The cat is out of the bag, so I'm sure we would all like to hear what the APHA is considering.

Default Nonresident sheep tags

In response to BRWNBR, I think you are mostly correct nowadays. But Harkness who managed 14C sheep for many years used to think very few nonresidents were getting tags. What he didn't realize was that the guides for 14C were putting in prospective clients for $5 a pop and using there local mailing address. Don't know if this is occuring now that they have to purchase a hunting license to apply for a permit. But it is possible that many locals are putting in there lower 48 relatives and using a local address. They shouldn't but I just don't know.

actually fish and game asks guides to put their address on the permit app so that it comes to the guide and the client dont' get it and then start shopping around and under cut the guy that put them in in the first place...

would have to call and find out which address is in the paper...dang do they still even publish those in the paper? i dont' get it so i don't even know.
    I'd be willing to guess non res sheep hunter numbers are alot lower than people think, i'd guess maybe 20-25 percent of the harvest tickets picked up for sheep are non res but i'd be suprised if it was more than that. thats one out four...seems reasable.

Gonna have to do some calling tomorrow and try to find out who's getting what as far as non res and res...
    Master guide 212

Default Draw and Tier II Permit

If I counted correctly, it looks like there were 57 winners of the sheep tag for people with out of state addresses. Some could be military that are stationed outside of Alaska. There were 626 sheep tags given out. That puts the percent of total sheep tags drawn at a little over 9%. This is only based on the mailing address of the applicants. Want to check out more stats go to: http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...p.listing_main
    Check either the applicants or the winners, and then what you are looking for. Hours and hours of fun.

Gary

ok i just checked the listed address for my clients and i had them under my address when i applied but the listing is for their home address, so those numbers you came up with, a shade over 9 percent should be very accurate, the address listed are where they live.
    now you can go thru and dig for fun...lol
    Master guide 212

FWIW, The APHA has and always lobbied for a lot of things which never come to be. One example is they have tried numerous times and spent I don't know haow much money to have a law passed to require non-residents to be guided for moose, I know of two times in the last ten years or so there was a bill introduced to make that happen. The last time it died in sub-committee, didn't even make it to the floor.

My point is, even though APHA is lobbying for soemthing, which in this case I don't even know the origin of this information, but it doen't mean a lot. The APHA is always lobbying for the guiding industry. That's what they do.

DPhillips, can you give a link to or paste more of the article or whatever is you got that quote from?

Outdoortrail:
    Thanks for the cool link. Its nice to see my name under the applicants to know they got my $5. Someday maybe Ill be in the Winners pool for sheep. Its also nice to know that the out of staters are already at the 10% we want to restrict them to anyways. As far as increasing the out of state permits, they must be joking? Cause that will never fly...
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast