Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: upper kenai river monsters

Default upper kenai river monsters

going fitchin this week hows it been lately? Will check back sat/sun

The river is Super low
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

super low, still lots of aggressive silvers, and a few trout but gotta work hard.... pretty much like every other march
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

I will be in Cooper on Friday. If its worth it I will post how i did.

Anywhere that you can reach open water with a fly rig from the bank (or solid ice), or is a boat still a necessity?

You dont need a boat...hell you cant use one other than at the bridge.....It would make things a bit better there....To much ice to launch and land at sportsmans and jims..... If you see silvers.....Bows will be there....Work the bridge.....Pull off on the pull out just below the princess rapids...work the water there too......
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Many thanks. Wiinter's been too long. Gotta wet a line.

Check your emails FHG IN AK
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I was there on sunday and just below sportsman's the big hole was completely iced over. Could be ugly if someone tries to take a boat past sportsmans. Could have melted but I would check it out before floating!

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post
    I was there on sunday and just below sportsman's the big hole was completely iced over. Could be ugly if someone tries to take a boat past sportsmans. Could have melted but I would check it out before floating!
    Definately don't float past sportsmans. I also was driving to Soldotna this weekend and Gurdrail hole is completly frozen around the bend.

I am not sure about bridge to sportsmans, but the river is really low.

fished the upper upper from bridge to private boat launch yesterday... slow, low, and cold! guides freezing up constantly. saw seven guys wading along the way... crazy. we managed to boat one 'bow and one silver between three of us... even caught a nice beer buzz...

jocko, black drift boat?
    Two rainbows in 4 hours wading in one of 7 spots. I was the one whom caught himself with a snake roll, as usual.

Fished near bridge today. Got 8 nasty silvers, they were crazy. Got one nice dolly. will post working flies later.
    This land is your land, this land is my land

Quote Originally Posted by dmahay View Post
    jocko, black drift boat?
    Two rainbows in 4 hours wading in one of 7 spots. I was the one whom caught himself with a snake roll, as usual.
    yep. that was us. I went back today and walked into a special hole of mine (no silvers in sight) and caught one nice dandy 'bow on a sculpin. Taped out to be 24.5"... one fish in two hours of fishing... not too shabby for march.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    The river is Super low
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayintrout View Post
    but the river is really low.
    I hate to be the grinch that stole king season but when kings go up to spawn they do it during the highest water conditions of the year. I would hate to think the king eggs dried up or froze out....I'm pretty sure they did in the Little Su where I live. Yep its bone dry where the kings were spawning in July....

worked from the outlet of skilak last few days it was slim pickens so i settled for a walk in the woods for spruce chickens. The aurora was out though and reflecting off skilak made the whole trip worth while

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

I stayed up and watched that show----pretty impressive.otterpants did you find many grouse ?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I hate to be the grinch that stole king season but when kings go up to spawn they do it during the highest water conditions of the year. I would hate to think the king eggs dried up or froze out....I'm pretty sure they did in the Little Su where I live. Yep its bone dry where the kings were spawning in July....
    I think the kings have evolved to take care of that... natural selection at its finest...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

If it were natural selection, the kings would be laying eggs able to survive and hatch on dry land...

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Actually When salmon spawn they bury the eggs and they can be up tp two feet or more under the gravel (of course they done bury them this deep but they will settle while the river is still runing over the spawning beds) where there is still water and protection from the cold. I did not know this till I asked the same question of one of the biologists and I got about a 3 hour lecture on salmon and the frys food chain and a whole lot more about the river eco system, but I did remember what he said about the eggs being under the water because I thought that was a pretty neat thing. You dont think about the water table of the river under the gravel bars..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast