Thread: Upper kobuk moose help

Default Upper kobuk moose help

I drew a unit 23 area 4 moose tag for 2011. I would love some suggestions on anything anyone can offer! Outfitters, transporters, locations etc. I have hunted around Kiana and Kobuk in the past and I love the area and the people! I have never hunted moose and would appreciate any advice. I am coming from Colorado so keep in mind I don't have a boat or anything you can't fly in on Alaska Air.

When you hunted around here before, how did you get around? Friends with boats?, Snowgo or drift?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Welcome -

Strangerinastrangeland more or less is right on...

What will be your primary mode (or multi-modes) of transportation start to finish?

How do you see yourself going on a trip in this area?

What are your expectations, skill-sets, familiarities, and for what stretch of time?

Post on here, or if more comfortable email members if ya like. I see that you have one posting, so it may take a bit to familiarize yourself with the forum, take time to search, and be able to pm folks directly for info.

Where is area 4? I mean from where to where on the Kobuk? Is the Kobuk the only river in the permit area?
    You can fly in from Kotz, or from Bettles. Not sure if Ambler Air is still in biz in the village of Ambler. Can you fly in to Kobuk on a commercial carrier and float to Ambler on that permit?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

The first time I got around on snow machine. The second time I was on foot patrol after being dropped off. I do not have float experience. I don't really knowhow difficult it is, but the parts of the kobuk I have been on did not appear too dangerous.

There are several rivers in unit 4. My hunt code is dm874
    See link to map

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...p=dm874&gmu=23

Any help would be appreciated.

Call Raymond Stony he is the area advisor for board of fish and game. He lives in Kiana and has a cabin up river almost to Ambler. He can tell you everything you need to know if your polite and not aggressive on trophy hunting speak. I would fly AK air to kotz then charter with one other person to just upriver from Ambler and float downriver. Carry sat phone for extraction.

Quote Originally Posted by dapiek View Post
    The first time I got around on snow machine. The second time I was on foot patrol after being dropped off. I do not have float experience. I don't really knowhow difficult it is, but the parts of the kobuk I have been on did not appear too dangerous.

There are several rivers in unit 4. My hunt code is dm874
    See link to map

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...p=dm874&gmu=23

Any help would be appreciated.
    With regards to truly 'Upper' reaches of the Kobuk River --- the river has much more diverse character, land features, and much more demanding whitewater than in proximity to more commonly floated sections, nearby/between villages and camps, etc. When you've got little to no float experience... the far up-stream stretches would be a bad idea. Mostly posting to give you a heads-up concerning the differences in country and river from what you've seen.

I do think you'd have a good first go on a float hunt by starting a little further down or on way downstream tribs. I have some very good suggestions... but this is intel I'll not press here (open to all) in fairness to the other folks living or headed out that away.