Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ugly Savage

Default The Ugly Savage

In today's world of souped up pre-64 mod. 70's, GA precision, Accuracy International, and any number of other custom bolt guns, I would like to take a moment to throw some light on Savage.

You can spend $3000 on a rifle that will shoot 1/2 MOA, or you can spend $700 on a rifle that will shoot 1/2 MOA. I was shocked at how well my Savage Model 10T shoots. I don't know if anyone else has had great results with their savages, but I am now a believer. Savage+good handloads or FGMM = one hole groups and dead critters.

Just thought I would take a moment to rave about the most accurate reasonably priced rifle I have ever shot: .33 inch 5 shot group at 100 yards, and I just shot a 3 round group at 200 meters today that I can put a nickel over. Pics soon to come!

Come all ye savage owners! Share your stories!

OK...I'll bite.

Savages are kinda like mopeds or ugly women- they'll get the job done and might even be fun in the process. But I wouldn't want my friends to see me with one!

Savage. Making the Best Shooting Homely Rifles Since Way Back When. LOL!

What price pretty?

Those 10Ts and their predecessors back into the 1970's have always shot like a house afire. I'm not surprised by your results, rather I'd be surprised if it didn't shoot that well.

I own several Savages model #s 64 (22LR), 111 (300WM), 10 (243), 30, and I wouldn't trade them for anything else. I bought the model 30 Savage 12 Gaugue just to so the other ones wouldn't be alone...ha! With the model 10, if you don't reposition the cross hairs, you will put the second shot in the same hole. I like mine alot.

Savage=accuracy and reliability at a reasonable price. You can buy quality in either a Honda or a Mercedes, but you'll be paying a lot less for the one than the other and you won't have the bragging rights.
    To each his own, but I enjoy saving money and working over guns to make them what I want.
    But then maybe if I was rich I might think differently. Probably never know.

I've known about it for over 20 years. Accurate as all get out, but sure feel cheap. I like the ability to change barrels easily at home. I may build a .35 Whelen out of one some day.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    OK...I'll bite.

Savages are kinda like mopeds or ugly women- they'll get the job done and might even be fun in the process. But I wouldn't want my friends to see me with one!

Savage. Making the Best Shooting Homely Rifles Since Way Back When. LOL!
    I think this pretty well says it all! There are actually several good guns on the market for less money - but most shooters love to explore new stuff, we get a "keep up with the Jones's " mindset, and want purdee guns so we can brag a bit to our friends what we just bought for sure.... Nothing wrong with a savage gun!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

only one thing better....a 6.5/55 or 7x57 MAUSER in a 95 and 98.
    STRANGER has the best braggin rights of any inexpensive rifle i have ever heeeeerd of.

I don't know why people don't like the Savages, they must not like awesome. I guess I dont see what's homely about them. As AKDoug said its nice to be able to do barrel work at home, thats a "little" harder to do with 99% of them other guns. I have two of them homely guns, a 12FVSS and a model 24. The 12 is the bee's knees. Deadly with factory ammo (emergencies only) and its on a whole other planet when fed reloads. The 24 is just a hoot to shoot. Whats not to like about a rifle and shotgun all rolled into one! Their logo is pretty cool too.

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

I own the nicest Sako ,Remington ,Browning.Ruger, and Winchester rifles that they make but I really hate using any of them for a crutch as I climb hills but I don`t hesitate to punish my Savage 116 Weather Warrior that way and at the end of the day it will shoot as well or better than any of them!!!! Not pretty but really usable,dependable, and **** accurate!!

HAHAHHAHA! I knew I would find some believers out there. Forgot to mention my model 12. It has some sort of target stock, maybe a mcmillan or some such, and a HEAVY barrel. It's chambered for .204 ruger and it shoots little tiny groups of little tiny holes! It's fun to shoot cherry tomatos at 100 yards and watch them blow up in the scope. It never gets old! I'll be looking for pics of my ugly guns in my hard drive a bit later.

I will not bash your Savages bad, but they are not for me. I have owned several of them over the years and have never had one that I really liked. Had a 7mm mag. you could load full of bullets and every time you pulled the bolt back to throw another round in the chamber it would kick one out on the ground. Had a 7mm STW and it would shoot excelent one day and all over the place the next day. Had a 270 Win. in one that shot good but once in a while would pull the trigger and the bullet would not go off. Could rechamber the round and don't think it ever failed to go off the second time. Every time it did not fire the fireing pin just barely dented the primer. I have not owned a Savage in the last ten years. I am sure that they have made some good improvements in that time span but my model 700's have worked well for me. Why fix something that is not broke? Just for the record I have never been able to work a load up using Reloader powder that I can not get better results using something else. I know lots of people use it with good results the same as the Savage guns. I just can not get along with either of them.

If initial cost is the citeria for "inexpensive", the Savages would be hard to beat as they are usually very accurate......but I have found, over several decades, that my most "inexpensive" rifles had a high initial cost but have performed flawlessly over many years and are now worth a lot more than what I paid initially.

My two p64, SGs and two Dakotas were taken out of the box, scopes mounted and proved accurate as bought. They still perform as new and I don't see any new rifles on the market that I would trade for.

I have never owned a Savage rifle, but have read a lot of good reviews on them. I wonder how their new accu-stock is working out? I believe they offer much value for the money, again from just reading.

I do have a nice Savage 775A semi auto 16 ga shotgun my uncle bought new in the 50's and still have the new in envelope Zippo lighter with that cool Savage Indian head on it, never seen lighter fluid!

The only savages I own are 99c in a 284 Winchester and a savage model 1920/26 in a 300 savage. The newer savages are not to far behind in price to the ruger 77. So for me I get the ruger 1st but that is me.

I don't have any what you would call "target rifles" so I opted out of the center fire rifle shoot last summer at the Poweshiek County Iowa Sportsman shoot, but hung around after the rimfires were done as an observer.

The second place went to a local guy shooting a Steven's 200 with some trigger work. The third place guy pouted openly, but then if I had sponsor's names all over my truck and a several thousand dollar custom rifle I mighta thrown my fancy shooting jacket on the ground too.....but probably not!

They say what makes the savages so accurate are because of the actions. Savage for yrs use one action that was thier long actions for everything. So when put a 223, 22-250 and what not on that action there is no give. ( don't know proper terminology) anyhow that is one reason. Yrs ago a gunwriter went to savage and saw the whole process and even built his own rifle at the time. He pulled random barrels, action and so forth. Anyhow he shot it and it was shooting lights out at the range.

I've got three...a 17 HMR, a .25-06, and a 7mm Rem Mag. They all shoot well. There are rifles that cost more, are prettier, are trendier, and doubtless better built, but so far they have served me well. I don't live in an extreme clime, or use them all day/every day..if I did, then my opinions might be different. I have and use Tikka's, Remmies and Marlins, too.

I will take my Savage 116FHSS Accustock and Accutrigger and be more than happy to shoot against what ever anyone has to shoot. We can go five, five shot groups and see which one has the most consistent out of the box rifle. It is not a Cheap feeling rifle, not my new Savage and I have owned many kinds and many customs. To say other wise shows a level of bias and ignorance to say the least concerning the new Savages. But that is to be expected in the hunting and shooting world, people who really don't know what they are talking about.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have one in 17HMR that I tote around looking for fox close to town. I had it painted winter camo so that I could hide it easily if someone I know or a pretty girl walks by....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast