Thread: 35 whalen remington either enfield or springfield or even mauser

Default 35 whalen remington either enfield or springfield or even mauser

A good buddy gave me the above and it is a fine rifle. I have been told that it is all of the above, a possible sporterized model, pre 1960. Every body that sees it says it's something differant. I am needing another scope for it and have the original rings and mounts for it. Does anybody here know about these older rifles cause everybody I talk to I think is guessing. And.. they are in the business of gunsmithing. I'm in the valley but for someone that really knows these things, have gun, will travel
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

where you at in the valley I will take a look at it... I live off of KGB by the rib shack...

Post a pic that clearly displays the action from both the left and right side. I'll not argue with the people with which you have already spoken, but I do not think I could confuse an Enfield, Springfield or Mauser for anything other than its self. I suppose if someone has done an unimaginable amount of customization on the rifle it's possible, but under any conceivable conversion it should be very clear which action of three you have.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Since you are in valley go to the Lion's Club gun show at the Palmer Fairgrounds this Sat. & Sun. You will find out more about your gun than you can ever imagine - lot of true experts and BSs there.

In any event - it is worth going to the gunshow anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    A good buddy gave me the above and it is a fine rifle. I have been told that it is all of the above, a possible sporterized model, pre 1960. Every body that sees it says it's something differant. I am needing another scope for it and have the original rings and mounts for it. Does anybody here know about these older rifles cause everybody I talk to I think is guessing. And.. they are in the business of gunsmithing. I'm in the valley but for someone that really knows these things, have gun, will travel
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I will try to post pics but don't hold your breathe cause I am computer stupid!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default ID

How about looking and seeing what markings are on the gun esp. on the front of the receiver?

Part of them may be covered by the base for front scope.

There may be marking on the side of the gun also.

I will try to post pics but don't hold your breathe cause I am computer stupid!!!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

TV, you are right about the markings and that is also one of the reasons I am asking for advise. My scope was taken off by someone other than me and I can't figure out how to remount it. But it also only tells me a serial # and Remington, under the front mount,nothing else.

Default ID

If it has Remington and a Serial No. it will also have either "Model of !917" if it an Enfield or "1903" or "1903-A3" if it is a Springfield.

TV, you are right about the markings and that is also one of the reasons I am asking for advise. My scope was taken off by someone other than me and I can't figure out how to remount it. But it also only tells me a serial # and Remington, under the front mount,nothing else.

Both the Springfield (model 1903 and 03-A3), and the Enfield 1917 are basically Mauser "clones" with a few modifications. So, in a generic sense, they are mausers. Both designs were manufactured by Remington at some point. One of the biggest functional differences is that the Springfield cocks on opening and the 1917 cocks on closing, making the Enfield slightly faster to cycle during sustained fire. There are other differences, too. But if the rifle has been sporterized, those differences may not be as apparent. For instance, originally, the Springfield safety was on the bolt shroud and the Enfield safety was on the receiver. And, the Enfield had no windage adjustment on the sights, while the 03-A3 does. But, one thing that would be hard to miss on the Springfield is the three-position magazine cut-off on the left side of the action.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Hey guys, took my rings off and it does say model 3-03. So it is a springfield. My follow up question is why is it so hard to find rings to fit? Cause of it's age? Does anybody know a decent smith that can make something work? I'm in the valley but will travel if it does not break the bank

Bases and rings are not tremendously common for the springfields for a variety of reasons. First, they were not designed with scope mounting in mind. Second, when mounts were made, they were supplied by many different companies, not all with the same hole placement or spacing. Many companies that have made bases for these rifles are now out of business. Now if you have the bases and rings that were on the rifle to begin with, it shouldn't be a big problem putting them back together. It might be a trick finding new, modern bases to fit the existing hole pattern. It all depends on who drilled it and what they drilled it for, and if they altered the receiver to fit non-standard bases. But "standard" is not a word to be used here.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Weaver lists bases for that rifle. For the A3 it requires the removal of the rear sight. You are only looking at $15 or so to try them out and see if they fit. Part #48059 for the rear, #48045 for the front. Then it's a simple game of ordering whatever Weaver rings you want.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Dude. will try that and thanks so much. BTW, I have no rear sight. It looks like it was built for a scope. No extra holes that I can see so maybe the smith that converted this years ago knew what he was doing!!

Default A3 Mounts

If you look through old catalogs about everyone made mounts for '03 and 'A3s - along with 98 Mausers and 17 Enfileds they were the most popular rifles going. G&H, Williams, Weaver, Redfield, Behuler, etc. all made mounts for the 03 & A3 at one time.

The "standard" was probably the Redfield mount as used on the 03-A4 snipe rifle but the Weavers were probably more popular as the Weavers were cheaper for the rings and bases. I had Weaver bases on my A3 I sporterized back in the early 60s; I recently drilled another hole and installed a Redfield base.

The hole for the rear base is pretty universal - aligned with the center of the bore in the center of the rear sight male dovetail. For the Redfield / Leupold base there is one hole in the front ring at the very back. Weaver bases will have two holes in the front somewhere.

The Redfield base is still avalaible as are the Weaver bases. Midway has both in stock.

If you bring it by the gun show this weekend you can almost certainly find someone who can tell you - and maybe sell you - exactly what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Bases and rings are not tremendously common for the springfields for a variety of reasons. First, they were not designed with scope mounting in mind. Second, when mounts were made, they were supplied by many different companies, not all with the same hole placement or spacing. Many companies that have made bases for these rifles are now out of business. Now if you have the bases and rings that were on the rifle to begin with, it shouldn't be a big problem putting them back together. It might be a trick finding new, modern bases to fit the existing hole pattern. It all depends on who drilled it and what they drilled it for, and if they altered the receiver to fit non-standard bases. But "standard" is not a word to be used here.

TV, I will bring it by the gunshow. It will give me a good excuse to walk around in a crowd and not have them fearing I will be going postal!!! It will also be a good investment in time and money. Thank you to all that have responded to my plea of ignorance!!

Default Gun Show

Good deal - I think you will enjoy the show!

I'll be at a table there with a friend - I'll be on the lookout for you

TV, I will bring it by the gunshow. It will give me a good excuse to walk around in a crowd and not have them fearing I will be going postal!!! It will also be a good investment in time and money. Thank you to all that have responded to my plea of ignorance!!

I'll be there as well, just look for the big Browning 50 cal machine gun.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I looked at the gun last night and it is a remington 1903 high number as well. As of now it has one of the old old bases made by Bausch and Lomb. Attached is link to what his rifle has for bases and mounts. The top left are his bases and the lower right are what he has for rings.

http://www.hegibbs.com/index.htm

I had a sporterized Springfield a few years ago that had that scope/ring setup. It seemed to work ok, but it was weird getting used to the adjustments being in the rings and not the scope. The optics left a lot to be desired in that old glass. I traded the whole thing off on a new commercial mauser for a custom build, but it was a fun rifle to play with for a while. Very smooth action.

my dad picked up a parker hale one time and it had those type rings and bases as well and it also had 6x B&L scope he junked the whole system. I think he still has that whole set up minus rifle at his house. Couldn't trade it or sell it no one wanted the thing. I guess at the time they were the thing but now days just a relic and not much use for them.