Thread: Kenai Mountain Snow Conditions

Default Kenai Mountain Snow Conditions

Took to the mountains this weekend hoping for the usual March snow that would have a decent crust to hold the dogs up. Not to be, real deep powder and except for places where the wind has drifted it hard, its soft and deep. Hard to cover a lot of ground. Saw a fair amount of ptarmigan sign but no birds that day.
    File names are deceiving.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We tried a (new for us) trail down that way Saturday. We had to go about 5 miles in to find a birdy area and the snow conditions were actually pretty good. The dogs got around fine and we ended up with a few birds. I'm glad we didn't go further south if the snow that was bad.
    It's rough trying to hunt when the snow is not right. A few weeks ago I hunted a place with tons of birds but there was a thin crust on top of the snow with sugar snow underneath. We were waist deep even with snow shoes and Nitro couldn't go at all. The birds wouldn't fly, they would just run on top and Nitro couldn't move well enough to jump them up. I finally got a bird to fly up and after the shot I watched it slide over 600 yards down the hill. Nitro made the retrieve but it was too hard on him so we got out of there.
    With this warmer weather hopefully the snow will finally set up a little. My the way nice looking dog!!
    Good luck.

Good for you getting on some, looks like they are Willows? Those great looking labs sure look happy.

going down to k-penn wed-sat for trout/tarmmy hows the skilak outlet far as ice goes? you guys see much hare out last week?

Hares all over the place. The outlet at Skilak had good ice a week ago, can't imagine that much has changed.

Good Lord Winchester is growing up fast! He is a handsome fellow!

3-9-11 023.JPG

Thanks Ryan, I am pretty proud of this guy, he is turning out to be the best dog I've ever had. He is now 53 pounds and other than a few punds of muscle as he matures probably about as big as he will get. We went into the mountains again today looking for ptarmigan. Found a lot of tracks but no birds. Winchester was pointing spruce grouse all the way up to treeline and on the way back I figured I better reward him with one bird. This time of year in the mountains is sure about as good as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by sameyer View Post
    3-9-11 023.JPG

Thanks Ryan, I am pretty proud of this guy, he is turning out to be the best dog I've ever had. He is now 53 pounds and other than a few punds of muscle as he matures probably about as big as he will get. We went into the mountains again today looking for ptarmigan. Found a lot of tracks but no birds. Winchester was pointing spruce grouse all the way up to treeline and on the way back I figured I better reward him with one bird. This time of year in the mountains is sure about as good as it gets.
    That is great! Has he taken to retrieving naturally, or have you had to work on it a bunch? I love being in the mountains! Anyway, I canít wait to get my buddy back. Iím ready to go!

DSCN1623.jpganzuls first camping trip

Snow conditions are pretty darn crappy for this time of year...I went Saturday and Sunday this past weekend.

This is spring break for me, my bride is out of town, the honey do is done and I had high hopes to get out everyday...that is not happening. The sugar snow underneath makes it deceiving.

I was knee to waste deep with snowshoes. Dogs struggled mightily. Birds were able to scoot ahead and never allowed us to get them into flight once the dogs pointed. Very frustrating!
    Ember was a bit lame Sunday night. She seemed fine yesterday, so I dont think she hurt herself...thank goodness.

Yep, I was planning on taking time off so I could try and get my young setter more exposure to birds but it has been such tough going I donít want to overdo it with him. The weather is changing so maybe we will still get something to help settle and crust up the snow before season closes. Going to give it another shot tomorrow in a different area and hope for the best.

Good Luck Sameyer...Love to hear how you go.
    I tried two separate locations last weekend with what I thought good exposure for creating proper conditions. Neither was good.
    I have not been up the Chugach lately, but a friend reported similar crappy conditions there.
    Sounds pretty similar where ever you go, at least in this part of the state.