Thread: Remington 700 SPS Tactical - Stocks

Default Remington 700 SPS Tactical - Stocks

I recently purchased one of these, but have decided the stock leaves much to be desired. It is quite flexible at the tip and if the rifle is on a rest or tripod the barrel is no longer free-floating. I have filed away most of what can touch the barrell, but am not satisfied. These stocks are made of a rubber compound. I have glass bedded rifles in the past, but am somewhat hesitant to do so with this material. I am not sure if it will adhere as it should.

Glass bedding almost always enhances and never has hurt accuracy. I am thinking that if I stiffen the forearm area of the stock it will probably solve the touching issue. On the other hand, I guess I could consider another after market stock.

The rifle is very accurate so it is a keeper and looks as if it could be tweaked to be even more accurate.

Any thoughts?

I had the same issue with a Savage varminter. After all the time and trouble to free float the barrel the groups actually got larger with free floating. I put a little pressure right at the end of the forend and the super small groups came right back. Same thing happened with one of my Remington 30-06's too.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I've lots of thoughts, some of them may even be fair to middlin'...

I'd not waste time trying to polish the original SPS Tactical unit--you can improve upon it, but the end result will not be commensurate with the effort you put into it. Rather I'd go one of two other directions: laminate or quality synthetic. There are seemingly unlimited options for either of these choices, but my tastes and preferences would run along these lines:

If money is tight then a factory take-off laminate is a good option. There are also relatively inexpensive aftermarket companies for laminate stocks, but if I'm looking for another laminate stock it'll be a Shehane. Laminates are a bit heavier, but they provide an excellent shooting platform if properly bedded and can be had for a bit less money than a high quality synthetic.

Preferable IMO is a McMillan tactical style stock. The A5 is significantly my favorite and is what I am selecting for my present build, a 223 AI.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Personally the Hogue stock fits and feels good to me. If it feels good to you an easy way to eliminate the forend flex is to upgrade to the full length aluminum bedding system offered by Hogue. It is a perfect drop in fit and retains the same size and shape as the pillar bedded stock that you currently have. I run one on a 375 Ruger.

McMillan makes a great stock, I have two on other rifles. They will need to be bedded for optimum fitment and they are $500 plus dollars after a 3-5 month wait. My A-5 was just over $500.00 and my Edge Carbon was an embarrassing $1000.00 after studs and bedding. I saved on shipping as I am only 45 miles from the factory, your costs will vary.

Your Remington Tactical Hogue on the left, the full length system on the right. Hard to beat this stock for $190.00

Beddings.jpg

http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/overmolded.html

They can also be found at Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6...e__RIFLE_STOCK

They're are about $90.00 cheaper at Midway USA

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=718161

Nice demonstration of the strength associated with a McMillan stock.

http://www.youtube.com/user/McMillan.../1/5TkdFpyulJk

Sell the stock and use the money for for something new. McMillans are great but way too expensive. I would recommend getting a Bell and Carlson Tactical. They have plain hook styles all the way to a fully adjustable stock. I have used both the McMillan and the B&C on the same action and I couldn't tell a difference. I figure use the money saved for ammo.

Depending on how much you are looking to spend, after the stock you could send the action to get an upgrade on the barrel and get everything blued and trued.