Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Your Garden?

Default Starting Your Garden?

When are you starting your garden??
    We are going to be starting ours on Saturday this week!!!
    Tomatoes and Cucumbers first!!!
    Lurker.

I started my tomatoes last Friday... everything else we'll plant direct in mid May...

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    I started my tomatoes last Friday... everything else we'll plant direct in mid May...
    What kinds of toms did you start?
    Lurker.

I'm not up there, but I extended my plantings by about 700-800 seedlings today. All were either heirloom or organic except for the onions and leeks.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

We are starting ours this weekend also tomatoes and cucumbers first followed by green beans

Lots of great responses here.
    Usually I follow the suggestion board at Holm Town Garden, but I have a heated garage this year so I'll be taking in the plants into the garage to start the germination process!
    Lurker.

My tomatos are 8-10 inches high, the cukes are about to bloom, the cantaloupes are about 6-8 tall the lettuce and corriander have been harvested for the last 2 weeks can't wait for the watermelon radishes to get big. All the windows are full will kick on the heat in the greenhouse in a week or so. Going to clone my black current bush this year Hormex #8 works great did some tasts this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    What kinds of toms did you start?
    Siletz out of Ed Hume seeds
    I've never had very good luck with tomatoes here in the Mat-Su... so every year I try something different... maybe some year I'll have a real crop of "matters"..../John

alaskamokaiman,
    Are you in Alaska? Was this from a year round greenhouse of yours?

Old John,
    Maybe you should consider a few different types and just putting the kinds of seeds into a file so that you can determine which are the best toms for you to plant. I have ones that I will only try from a certain brand. They are beefsteak toms and I did pretty good on some cherry toms, too. The seeds I purchased at Holm Town Garden in Fairbanks.

BSJ,
    What kinds of seeds are you starting from this weekend?

garnede,
    Pictures?
    Lurker.

thanks for the heads up kimberly I have been witing for someone to make a post on this
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

CotoAK
    that's a good idea about a file... of course the weather has a lot to do with it, and each year is just a little different... This is the first time I've tried planting my own starts... and I picked this type as it's supposed to be good for this climate and they are supposed to be early... The problem, short of giving in and building a green house, is keeping the plants/roots warm enough... Last year, a cool year, I had some plants in 5 gal black buckets... This year I'm thinking of trying white buckets... I got this idea because I know if I cover my garden area with Black visqueen it doesn't warm the soil as fast as if I cover it with clear visqueen... /John

I use ed hume seeds as well and some denali seeds. What does everyone use to get them started? we usually have our own little planters and used plugs with soil but this year we got a couple of these jiffy green house things with the pellets. Has anyone used these before with any success?

http://www0.epinions.com/review/Jiff...t_329403174532

Toms just poking thru.
    Early girl, 4th july, Brandy wine Cow lick (OP), sweet 100, & a yellow (OP) from Mom, back east.
    Celery & pansies also seeds in but no sprouts yet
    Last year toms cucs from GH (other just a garden zuc)
    Left to right 4th july, EG, sophies choice, Pink brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    thanks for the heads up kimberly I have been witing for someone to make a post on this
    Of course! Anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    CotoAK
    that's a good idea about a file... of course the weather has a lot to do with it, and each year is just a little different... This is the first time I've tried planting my own starts... and I picked this type as it's supposed to be good for this climate and they are supposed to be early... The problem, short of giving in and building a green house, is keeping the plants/roots warm enough... Last year, a cool year, I had some plants in 5 gal black buckets... This year I'm thinking of trying white buckets... I got this idea because I know if I cover my garden area with Black visqueen it doesn't warm the soil as fast as if I cover it with clear visqueen... /John
    Okay... so the visqueen deal works, but it has to be the clear stuff. The black stuff only works with corn. The plastic is tried and true. We've done that at the end of the season every year. This year, I am starting my toms earlier so hopefully they will be much more ripe than the years before, but sure enough, come every single August, the rain comes in for days and we lose all of that sunlight. If the sun is going to do it's work for us, it's going to do it in June and July... not in August. But... you are going to want to keep that moisture inside and quarantine it so help continue the growth of your plants. Clear visqueen is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    I use ed hume seeds as well and some denali seeds. What does everyone use to get them started? we usually have our own little planters and used plugs with soil but this year we got a couple of these jiffy green house things with the pellets. Has anyone used these before with any success?

http://www0.epinions.com/review/Jiff...t_329403174532
    Oh yeah... we have done strawberries in those topsy turvy and upside down planters and they seem to work really, really well!

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Toms just poking thru.
    Early girl, 4th july, Brandy wine Cow lick (OP), sweet 100, & a yellow (OP) from Mom, back east.
    Celery & pansies also seeds in but no sprouts yet
    Last year toms cucs from GH (other just a garden zuc)
    Left to right 4th july, EG, sophies choice, Pink brandywine
    Oh good. I remember seeing this picture from last year. You did a great job on your garden. I don't think that I posted any pictures of our garden on AOD from last year.
    I'll keep up better with this for next year.
    Lurker.

COtoAk yes I am in Palmer have a small 12x12 that I put heat in over the winter. In the past I have started the seed late January so I get lettuce radishes and leafy stuff before I can put them in the greenhouse this year I bought a LED light and I am way ahead of last year.
    The peat pellet things work keep the seeds warm like 74-76* and you will get a very good start, as soon as you see roots put the pellet on top of some dirt in a bigger pot let the roots run down in the pot lets you put 2-3 in a larger pot and not crowd them.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamokaiman View Post
    COtoAk yes I am in Palmer have a small 12x12 that I put heat in over the winter. In the past I have started the seed late January so I get lettuce radishes and leafy stuff before I can put them in the greenhouse this year I bought a LED light and I am way ahead of last year.
    The peat pellet things work keep the seeds warm like 74-76* and you will get a very good start, as soon as you see roots put the pellet on top of some dirt in a bigger pot let the roots run down in the pot lets you put 2-3 in a larger pot and not crowd them.
    I am so proud of you for getting ahead this year. Honestly, I am part jealous. LOL! Well... post some pictures! Let's see this amazing greenhouse of yours as well as your plants that are already blooming it up.
    This is great that you have been able to keep it going all winter long. What a success!!
    Lurker.

My wife enjoys going downstairs and picking her salad for next days lunch, all the leaves are clean crisp and fresh. I also have stevia that is coming along great now I need to learn how to extract the sweet stuff. I did learn that you don't need grow lights cool white and the kitchen light mixed work really well. Next is to build a hydroponics system and a big out building that has lots of insulation so I can grow all winter.

Bsj425
    Those little peat pellets are what I used... I've never used them before, but to my way of thinking, when the plant gets to the size it needs to be put in a larger pot, a person could just drop these "pellets" into a larger peat pot, and then later plant the whole thing outside... Anyway, that's my plan..../John

I just started a few tomato plants...all Denali seeds, Polar Star, Polar Beauty and a new kind I am trying this year called Stupice (a smaller plant that is good for containers). I don't mess with those huge beefsteak tomatoes any more since they just take too long to ripen. I get more ripe tomatoes with the smaller 2-3" guys. All my toms either go in the greenhouse or in in pots in the house bay window.

Also got a few bell peppers started as well.

Lots more garden plants to get started soon as it warms up a little more and I can open up the bay window so they get the overhead light they need so they don't grow too tall and spindly. It's just been too cold here yet (-37 last night and only warming up to zero during the day). Soon enough it will start to be warmer and I can start seeds in earnest. Hopefully!

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

YeeHaa...glad to see everyone back this year and that the seed starting has started. Planted 5 tomatoes and 5 peppers last weekend....well, the kids did. They couldn't stand that I bought seeds and wasn't planting them right away. This coming up weekend or the beginning of next week is when I would normally start mine. Bought those little peat pods to try out this year. Usually just do potting mix in starter packs. We'll see if this works any better.

On another note, Have to redo my tomato hothouse as that last storm that came thru, 20" of snow, tore my plastic and pvc hothouse roof down. Man did my tomatoes love that thing last year. I have all my neighbors talking about building one this year. Glad my actual greenhouse is ready to go. Anyone else have greenhouse/hothouse plans in the works?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast