Thread: Dead Horse

Default Dead Horse

Does anybody know if Dead Horse #2 bear scent is still available? That was some crazy stuff.

I'm not sure if it is available, but believe I have a partial bottle of something similar in my garage that Labman left. Maybe 16 DEAD & ROTTING CORPSES of HORSES or something. I mean that stuff if it got on you was SICK! Just for grins I'd set up front in the boat and open it going downriver. I'd get the driver to gag almost every time before he figured out what I was doing. Talk about NASTY. The only thing worse, or as bad as I'm not sure anything could be worse, was a 5 year old 5 gallon bucket of pork scraps. Oh my. That was 15 years ago and I swear I wake up and can still taste that on my tongue. YUCK. That stuff was so bad it was flammable! Now you got me wondering. I may have to go take a look, but only after I put on double hand protection and break out my 1/2 mask respirator.
    ARR
    Just peeked in the "vile smelling stuff" container in the garage. What I've got now is "Knockout" from James Valley. Pretty gross. I remember the other though. Might have been Riverboater that had it. I'm going to have wild dreams tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Does anybody know if Dead Horse #2 bear scent is still available? That was some crazy stuff.
    How did the bears like it?

Smelling like it's being described and bears looking for spring food to fill their bellies, I'd bet it would draw in brown bears quite well since they love carrion so much. Something most folks wouldn't want in their baits. Curious to see how it works though.

I know that the bears about swooned over that bucket of 5 year old pork scraps. They simply loved it. The problem was trying to sit at a bait station if the wind shifted and you had to smell that stench for hours. Whenever I'd tip over the bucket, the bears would dig up any scrap or bit of soil that they could find that carried the smell. And no, I never got any brown bears using the stinky stuff.

I used the Dead Horse #2 about two miles from my old homestead. Probably brought in three brownies to every one black bear, but probably not a large total all in all. But, got my blackie every one of the five years I lived out there.