Thread: Shuttle service

Default Shuttle service

Does anyone know of a shuttle service provided between Paxson lake and Sourdough Campground? It seems like I recall there being something right where the highway connects with sourdough campground. I have floated this river numberous times, but we have always arranged going with some other friends. This year we might be going solo, so I was just curious if anyone knew about this. Thanks.

Todd at Sourdough Lodge offeres the service. They are nice people and do a GREAT job of supporting people who float the system. They are still out of state I think till April. The are referenced in the Mile Post on the Richardson Hgwy. Sorry I seem to have mis-placed their business card. OBTW dollar for dollar your not going to find a cheaper shuttle based on the mileage in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Todd at Sourdough Lodge offeres the service. They are nice people and do a GREAT job of supporting people who float the system. They are still out of state I think till April. The are referenced in the Mile Post on the Richardson Hgwy. Sorry I seem to have mis-placed their business card. OBTW dollar for dollar your not going to find a cheaper shuttle based on the mileage in the state.
    Great! Thanks for the tip. I gave you a rep point for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Does anyone know of a shuttle service provided between Paxson lake and Sourdough Campground? It seems like I recall there being something right where the highway connects with sourdough campground. I have floated this river numberous times, but we have always arranged going with some other friends. This year we might be going solo, so I was just curious if anyone knew about this. Thanks.
    We are thinking along the lines of offering shuttle services again based from Anchorage as options over peak weeks and based on our reservations for Copper River drainage (including Gulkana River), Susitna drainage, Seward Highway, Whittier/portage, and on down south to Kenai River (Cooper Landing Kenai lake to Skilak Lake.

Ya also might give local or nearby business in the area a try... not 100% sure on anything out that away by just passin' through hopin' for the best.

Thanks for the tip Brian. I will consider that. How much do you charge for shuttle service on the Gulkana? And for Cooper landing to Skilak Lake?

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

From Jim Strutz

Perhaps a better option is to get someone else to shuttle your vehicle for you. Just north of the Sourdough Campground entrance there is a small diner & gas station on the west side of the road. The ladies in there will do the shuttle for you for $35 per car (2005 price). Just give them an extra key and describe the car that you will leave at the put in. It will be waiting for you at the take out

http://paddling.jimstrutz.com/page38.html

If I float it without multiple cars I'll look into the shuttle, going with a big group at least once this summer.

Since the upper Kenai shuttle has been mentioned, you might check with Max at Alaska Canoe and Campground. He's involved in that & he's local. I believe they also do the Skilak to Bing's stretch too. Plus he rents rafts and such for those who don't have their own gear. He's been down there a long time and nobody has a better reputation in the business down that way.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Scott that would be Sourdough Lodge ;-)

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Scott that would be Sourdough Lodge ;-)
    Gonna blame that one on sleep depravity

I used the sourdough lodge last year over labor day and everything was perfect. Fair price and the vehicle was where they said it would be. I also did the float the 3rd or 4th weekend of October and waited by the road for 2 hours in 25 degree weather while hitchhiking, wouldn't recommend that.

Matt are you becoming a Steelhead Junkie! :-)

Here's a link: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...330#post697330, which
    contains Sourdough Lodge phone# (post 7) and Walt at Gulkana River Raft Rentals (last post) was looking into running shuttle service.
    Good luck. Spring's coming!

Matt are you becoming a Steelhead Junkie! :-)
    I. Am. Ruined.