Thread: Predator hunting in the spring

Default Predator hunting in the spring

So I must admit. I am a novice when it comes to predator hunting. I consider myself a fairly seasoned big game and small game hunter, but I have never got into this predator hunting before. I have started taking it up this winter, but I can tell I have a lot to learn. From everything I have read and researched, it sounds like the early season is hot, because the predators aren't as call shy. The mid season is a little more difficult because the predators are more wary, but hunger is their weakness. The late season picks up because the breeding season approaches. So how about late, late season, like spring? Is it any good? Is it worth getting out still? I realize about the only thing left to hunt is coyotes, but is there any downside to getting them this time of year? Are they harder to call in because the availability of food is greater? Does the quality of they're fur diminish as the temperature warms up? Thanks for your advice.

Jack,

It's not so much that it's warming up. But the hides this time of year become "burnt" looking and or rubbed because of the increase in sunlight. It could be -10 but the hides still go past their prime the more daylight we have. Sure, there are those who still go out later in the season, but those who want prime pelts know that trapping/hunting is pretty much over by the time March gets here (depending on where you are of course). We base our trap-line decisions on how the fox look on the slope. If they are beginning to rub and look like a woman with over-processed hair up there, then we know our critters down here are done.
    The plus side to calling, is you can take a good look at that critter before you take it. If its not something worth keeping then you leave it be, it'll be seed for next year.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Jack,

It's not so much that it's warming up. But the hides this time of year become "burnt" looking and or rubbed because of the increase in sunlight. It could be -10 but the hides still go past their prime the more daylight we have. Sure, there are those who still go out later in the season, but those who want prime pelts know that trapping/hunting is pretty much over by the time March gets here (depending on where you are of course). We base our trap-line decisions on how the fox look on the slope. If they are beginning to rub and look like a woman with over-processed hair up there, then we know our critters down here are done.
    The plus side to calling, is you can take a good look at that critter before you take it. If its not something worth keeping then you leave it be, it'll be seed for next year.
    Thanks for the tip.

Did 3 sets tonight on a quick after work hunt. A buddy and I took out one of our neighbors kids (11 y.o.). Called in 3 in the first 2 minutes, he shot 1. Pelt was perfect and not rubbed at all. Just a great looking fox. It was a small fox, thought it was a young one, but teeth were worn and both canines were broke off, so who knows. Called in 1 more on the next set that he tried to scare to death (missed) and another 2 that we didn't get a shot on. Pretty decent night for a couple hours work. They are still responding the same as they have all season, with sets lasting no longer than 3-5 minutes before one is ON the caller. Gonna head out tomorrow and try to put on down with a long bow on video. I'll post up the footage if it works out. As said above, calling is nice because you have a chance to look at them first. So far, everything is looking good and we haven't seen a beat up pelt yet (well, at least not before my stupid .204 gets to it anyway).

I don't mean t hijack your thread, but what calls do you use? I have a mouth call that is supposed to sound like a dying rabbit. would that work, or would something else be better?