Thread: Well the 460 bug bit me this weekend!

Default Well the 460 bug bit me this weekend!

I've been fighting the urge for close to a year now but it finally got me. I just couldn't resist ordering up a S&W 460V in 5". Since it'll be a week till it gets here I decided to pick up some components for the loading bench. I was in SW and seen that they had some FTX 225gr and thought they'd make for some nice shootin rounds; picked up the new Hornady book as well. Low and behold I get home all excited to start looking at recipes and I find that there are none for the 460. The only load listed for the 225's are 45 LC's. Even looked up data on Hornady's website; no joy there either.

Oh well, I've got some Oregon Trails 250 gr RNFP's that should work maybe I can find some data for them; Strike TWO! No data is listed for the Laser casts and the 460. Whoa is me!

So gentlemen I am currently a friend in need.............. of data for 250gr RNFP solids and 225 gr FTX's. Anybody have some ideas so I can get my 460 fix, this monkey on my back is gettin' to me.

No help on the data, but I have to share a laugh at myself when I read your title: "Hey, another crazy like me." But I was thinking you meant 460 Weatherby!

Welcome to the party I think you will love the 460V, I sure do. I donít do ant 225s I mostly load 200, 300, and 395 for mine. 460 is still new enough there isnít tons of data out there yet so Iíve found the web and cross checking what I find best. The single most usfull 460 data source is Hodgdonís DATA CENTER.

They only have these 2 loads for a 225, well they list it as 3 but H110 and W296 are the same powder so itís just 2 loads.
    225GR. BAR X~H4227~COL 2.110"~37 to 41 grains.
    225GR. BAR X~H110/W296~COL~2.110Ē~ 39 to 42 grains.

Be sure to crimp well when loading 460, on light bullets to buy some burn time and with heave bullets to prevent bullet creep. Iíve got Hornady 460 dies that have a taper crimp die wich didnít cut it so I got a Lee Factory crimp die. When I got my Lee FCD they didnít have 460 so I got the 45/454 and it works fine by setting it higher in the press.

We talked about this 460 crimping over on THIS THREAD.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks, AD.

I bought a set of 460 RCBS dies. They're suppose to have a roll crimp die. I've been shooting the Oregon trail laser casts for a couple of years out of my 45 LC and 44 with good results. Never had any leading problems even when pushing them to 1400fps. Any ideas as to what solids would be good out of the 460? Now, I've just got to find some Starline cases, any ideas as to some shops that may have some? All of the on line sources seem to be backordered right now.

Mat-Su Tactical on Palmer Wasilla Highway stocks 460 brass and Stoner bullets at fair prices. You likely shop on Fairbanks and I have no idea about up there.

Bullets:
    Stoner casts some very good gas checked 300s and 330s for 454/460 at about $27 per 100. If you want bigger you will likely be looking at pricy Cast Performance stuff or Ranger Rickís T-Rex fodder. I have not tried the Laser Cast but saw it in Midway-USA, 500 250g for $68 and am very tempted to try some . . . donít see why they wouldnít work but they are a tad light at 250.

Brass:
    I got mine by adding 100 brass to my Midway-USA orders and over time I have something 1000 now. They are a bit over $55 from there but the Starline lasts very well. Iíve not tried the couple other brands that have started making 460 lately, Hornady and someone else now makes them so maybe price will come down.

Powder:
    H110/W296 are the most common used for big power but I prefer LilGun, same velocity with less pressure, it burns cleaner, and seems to be less temperature sensitive. 2400 is a good one for lighter bullets or mid range loadings.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Start casting

Unless you have a lot of $$ you need to get into casting bullets for the .460 or any other large handgun.

The Lee stuff is a good way to get started although you will eventually graduate to higher end stuff. You can get a .452 or .457 mold and .452 sizer die for around $30 or so. The gun shows are sometimes good sources of cast bullet stuff like pots, sizers and molds. I've cast many bullets myself off a Coleman stove and gas range.

I'm not a big fan of Lee casting stuff but it does work pretty well and esp. so for the cost. It doesn't take many hundreds of bullets you cast yourself to pay for the equipment - I paid for my .500 stuff in almost no time.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I'm just glad that your "bug bite" was for a pistol and not a 460 Wby!

Wrists are a relatively easy fix - detached retinas and damaged cervical discs are another story.

Default .460 S&W not a problem

A longer barrel .460 isn't a problem to shoot- the grips and weight make the .460 quite manageable.

A 4" .500 with heavy bullets is another beast - I sprained my wrist last week shooting some 565 gr. bullets ahead of 30 gr. of Litl'gun. The torque and recoil are both very heavy with a .500 S&W.

You can certainly suffer from serious damage from shooting the big Weatherbys - I have an older .378 without a muzzle break that isn't much heavier than a .300 or .340. A few rounds thru it and you feel punch drunk. Needles to say I stopped shooting it!

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    I'm just glad that your "bug bite" was for a pistol and not a 460 Wby!

Wrists are a relatively easy fix - detached retinas and damaged cervical discs are another story.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Thanks for all the great info guys. All of my casting equipment is still down in the lower 48. I've got about 500 lbs of WW ingots all ready to go. Probably be this summer when I get it up here. Until then it's laser casts; I couldnt resist Midways deal on them. I've used the Laser Casts for the real hot loads out of the 44 and 45 and used WW casts for gereral plinking just due to the variances in the mixtures.

As far as the 460 Weatherby........... Momma didn't raise no dummy! I shot a friends 416 Rigby ONCE! When I touched that one off I think my ears touched when my head snapped back............ I've actually been kicked by mules in the back country and that was a piece of cake compared to the 416. I don't even want to think about the 460! My 338 WM works just fine if I'm packing a long one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wfoidaho View Post
    As far as the 460 Weatherby........... Momma didn't raise no dummy! I shot a friends 416 Rigby ONCE! When I touched that one off I think my ears touched when my head snapped back............ I've actually been kicked by mules in the back country and that was a piece of cake compared to the 416. I don't even want to think about the 460! My 338 WM works just fine if I'm packing a long one.
    That's a pretty fair summary! ;-) Add to it the fact that I don't really see much need for the power, and I still kinda wonder why I own the darned thing. But a good deal was a good deal, especially at half price with the original 2 boxes of shells the guy got with it, and only three rounds fired. That pretty well sums up why he let it go so light. It's truly not bad to shoot offhand, but you don't want to shoot it from a bench that's too low and makes you lean forward into the rifle. A standing rest is best for sighting.

Your 460 handgun is another matter altogether, and in a good way. You won't regret it, and I'm betting you go through that stack of WW ingots a lot faster than you think.