Thread: I need your help

Default I need your help

I am beginning my quest for a used boat, looking at 17-20' inboard jets. I plan on running decent sized rivers and 100-500acre lakes my questions are:

how many hours is typical for what jet pumps? engines?

are there specifc brand/models to stay away from?

is there any tests/checks to look at while the boat is on the trailer?

I have a buddy who runs the snake river in Idaho often and he says they are getting nearly twice the life out of ford power over chevy. I would like an opinion ther too if you have it.

I am also curious about economy difference between say a 20' alumaweld w/ jet and w/outdrive................is there much difference? like I say, I will be running fairly deep rivers with some rocks and small to medium lakes.

thanks a bunch.

nobody knows the average life of a pump or engine?

I don't know about engine life, but pump life really depends on what kind of water you are running in. If you are in crystal clear rivers and lakes it is substantially better than if you are running one of the glacial rivers up here that are full of glacial silt.

Economy and performance will be much more impressive running an outdrive rather than a jet pump with the same engine. Jet pumps are about 30% less efficient/powerful than the traditional prop.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I know the general rule of thumb is you lose 30% of an outboards HP rating once you install the jet pump.
    If you have a V8 inboard motor rated at 300 hp running a jet drive how much power loss do you lose at the jet?
    Interesting topic because a V8 also gain's about 700-800 pounds over an outboard and it all translates to how much HP you have to the amount of your gross weight.
    Tennessee

Default Inboard Life

Snowwolfe, try searching the old threads I remember reading it but don't remember the exact number. What I do remember is that the inboard V-8 life is shortened because they tend to be run at high RPMs, one reason most outboards used to be 2 stroke. I have a Woolddrige Alaskan II with a 150 Honda and it will only get 1650 lbs on step, wish I had more power, but don't we all. My next boat will have so much motor it will almost sink in the back. LOL
    Good luck and get ready to start throwing money into the water.

Stev

Default snake

I've lived on the confluence of the snake river for 40 years. sounds like your buddy loves ford but I love G.M. so it's better. you know what I mean, just pick your flavor. As far as the boat goes it comes down to depth. If your gonna run shallow well ya need jet unit but if you can get by with prop then gas mileage and performance gets better.

With rising fuel costs I chose a four stroke outboard. I have a 17.5 boat with a 115 Suzuki. It is easier to push off a sandbar too. A top makes is nicer on cold days. I chose black to absorb as much heat as possible. I have passed some MISERABLE folks in open boats while riding dry and warm (no I don't have a heater which is a plus for the inboard).

500 acre lakes can be rough at times. If you are referring to Skilak or Lake Louise remember that a flatbottom can ride VERY rough. I had to trim up and power through Lake Louise last year. I tried getting on step and it was a pounder!!

The pump will need shimming often in the silty rivers. A large fuel tank is great too. I hate carrying extra fuel in cans unless I have to.

If I had it to do over, I would look at a 150 or 175 inboard.

My boat (avatar) is a 19' Thunderjet with a 175hp Mercury Sportjet. I wanted the inboard so I didn't suffer the 30% power loss of an outboard jet. I didn't want a huge V8 and doghouse taking up floorspace. Yeah, I know its a 2 stroke but space vs weight vs performance it was the best compromise for me. As far as performance/handling an inboard with a reversing cup styled like the one on the sportjet makes it alot more manueverable. I would also be sure I had a 1/4 turn steering wheel. Top speed for my boat with a light load was right at 50mph.

Default inboard options

There are a number of options for inboards these days.
    The newer lighter boats are powered with a Mercury 200
    hp fuel injected 2 stoke powerhead on a inboard jet .
    Faster and more efficient than an outboard but noisy
    compared to a 4 stroke outboard. The traditional inboard
    with a V 8 handles rough water better with the xtra weight
    and steeper V. Most mercury Sportjet packages are designed for shallow water running. Such as Jetcraft or
    Phantom sportjets. Note: Ford motors have not been
    available in most jet boats since 96 or 97. Harder to find some parts than GM.
    Hard to find one boat to do it all, but V 8 powered jetboat
    handles big water better. Just stay off the sandbars.

Madboater, I'm just curious why you think a jetboat with a V8 handles big water better. Could you please elaborate.

There is not a free lunch so to speak with any boat you have. If you want a river runner to get into the shallowest water then you are looking for a flat bottom tunnel style jet with enough power to get you where you want to go.
    Yes this style of boat will ride rougher in chop, thats the trade off.

A rig with more deadrise and a pronounced "V" will cut though the chop and waves a bit easier but I doubt it will run as shallow as a tunnel jet.
    A nice inboard V-8 is great for power but try pulling it off a sand or gravel bar with only two people.

Every boat made has it's own unique advantages and disadvatages. The problem we have in Alaska is deciding what we want the boat to do and if we want to compromise in one area to gain in another.
    Tennessee

Default big water

Most V-8 powered inboards run a little more V and
    generaly have a variable deadrise where the bow area has a steeper V. Between that and the heavier weight they
    tend cut waves better. Idealy a deep V with a prop
    would be better yet but that would limit your river travel.

Default well said

snowwolfe-up there a guy probably wants two???

I'm of the opinion that a boat designed to work both in the salt and on the rivers won't perform paticularly well in either application. Figure out what use you are really after, and get the best boat for the application.
    Last edited by Paul H; 03-07-2007 at 18:27. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by hunt0601 View Post
    snowwolfe-up there a guy probably wants two???
    Yup, Or find a good friend who owns what your dont and share the fishing trips
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Yup, Or find a good friend who owns what your dont and share the fishing trips

Yup...Speekin of which, Looks like I'll be getting a shallow river boat. Anybody with an ocean boat need a friend?

What are you getting RoadKill?
    Tennessee

Snowwolfe
    Looks like I'm getting an '04 Phantom SportJon 210. About 95% sure, but a couple things could break the deal.