Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullets getting stuck in die

Default Bullets getting stuck in die

I have been having an issue lately with 2 kinds of bullets getting stuck in my die. When I try to seat the bullet it will get stuck in the die and pulled out of the cartridge. The bullets will have marks around the top third where I believe they are getting stuck. I have adjusted my die and the screw at the top but still can not get them to consistently seat. I have had the problem with only plastic tipped bullets. Barnes TTSX and Nosler. Do you think it is a problem with my die, me or the bullets?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0483.jpg   IMG_0480.jpg  

To answer your question, yes.

In the first picture it looks like the case mouths are crimped. If that's the case, you need to back your seating die out a bit. I was going to ask if you chamfer the case mouths, but it looks like the bullets are boattails. A lot of us reloaders crimp as another step after we've seated a batch of bullets. I also think that many people are using the Lee factory crimp, which does need a separate step.

Hope this helps.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Like 338-06 says:

From the picture, you must have another problem, too.

It looks like the shoulder on the 2nd case in the 1st picture is expanded, at the shoulder.

If that's the case, it's likely because the body of your seating die is adjusted for too much Crimp. (Seating dies usually have a Crimping Shoulder built into the die.)

You can correct that by adjusting the Body of the Seating Die with an empty case. With the case in the shellholder, and the Ram all the way up, adjust it so the crimping shoulder DOESN'T contact the case Neck, for NO Crimp, or just the correct amount if you want Crimp.

There should be a procedure in your Die Instructions. Like he, said, you can do it with a separate step, using the same die, or with another die.

Adjust the seating stem/nose punch for bullet depth.

I'm guessing it's because of the situation, you have, the very tapered bullets are getting stuck in the nose punch, because you're putting a LOT of pressure on them.

Check the fit of the Nose Punch, with the bullet tip. Also, make sure it's clean. I've had bullets stick in the seating die, because I had previously seated cast bullets, and got some bullet lube in there.

You're sposed to have all the cases trimmed to the same length, if you ARE Crimping. They should be, anyway, though.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I had the same thing happen to me. A friend recommended A Squares "Any shot you want" reloading manual. There is a great section on bullet crimping. They go thru it step by step and give recommended crimp diameters when crimping in the bullet cannelure. I found that it helped me a bunch.

I agree with the previous guys in that the seating die is seriously out of adjustment. While there are differing opinions about crimping rifle ammo, for most cartridges in bolt action rifles, crimping is not a necessary step. Back the die body off a couple of turns and you should be in business.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by LItoAK View Post
    I have been having an issue lately with 2 kinds of bullets getting stuck in my die. When I try to seat the bullet it will get stuck in the die and pulled out of the cartridge. The bullets will have marks around the top third where I believe they are getting stuck. I have adjusted my die and the screw at the top but still can not get them to consistently seat. I have had the problem with only plastic tipped bullets. Barnes TTSX and Nosler. Do you think it is a problem with my die, me or the bullets?

The other guys have it concerning the problem with your shoulder and crimping. As for the bullets themselves sticking in the seating plug, I've run into that before several times. Just remove the plug from the die and relieve the inside taper a little, or get hold of die manufaturuer and ask for a different seating plug. But don't forget to readjust the die itself to quit dinging up the cases too.

I ran into this same thing with 375 H&H 300 grain swift a-frames. The bullet was sticking in the bullet plug...this was with no crimp. I called rcbs and they sent me a new plug and told me in the meantime to smooth out the inside edge of the plug with a dremel tool. I ended up using my deburring tool and just slightly touched it up. It stopped leaving marks on my bullets and didn't pull them back out of the cases anymore.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Others have commented on the seating die being out of adjustment, I agree. It's to far down and the crimp is pushing the neck down bulging the shoulder.

It was mentioned that you need to make sure your cases are trimmed to an equal length, that too is true if you are planning to have an equal crimp on each neck. If you had adjusted your die with your shortest case the long cases will bulge. If you had adjusted your die with your longest case the short ones may not even touch the top of the die.

The ring around the ogive area is deep and indicates a lot of pressure is being put on the bullet as you seat it. Perhaps you are driving them deep into the case on top of a compressed load. Consider reducing your load or not seating so deep. If you have tools to measure your distance from the lands that Tipped Barnes may do well at .050 off the lands as a starting place. From the looks of your seated round you are very deep into the case.

Polishing the seating plug will correct the sticking problem if it has a burr on it. Sometimes using a .277 plug on a pointy .308 bullet will solve the problem if you have interchangeable die components. I don't think your example is to pointy of a design to cause this. The Barnes is soft and will dent if forced onto a compressed load.

However, I personally don't think the plug is your problem. The dented bullets are plain to see in the pictures and you're putting a lot of force on them. That force is jamming the bullet into the plug.

As for the expanded case in the first picture that was my fault. I was trying to adjust the plug and the die so that it would stop pulling the bullet out and I must have went to far. I have since re-sized that casing. I did crimp the bullet in the first picture on the right. I was also using RL22 powder and I think I am going to change to another brand that isn't so bulky and see if maybe I am compressing the load too much and causing the bullets to press into the plug. I will try it toniht and hopefully get some where and stop wasting expensive bullets.

Well I got my die adjusted and was able to seat the bullets properly but I am still getting the ring around the top part of the bullet. I am not sure what is making the ring, I am not putting too much pressure on the press when seating the bullets. I guess I will just have to take them out to the range and see how they perform.

Seems a bit odd that your getting a witness mark around the ogive. What is your caliber, 300RUM?

If a .308 bullet do have have a smaller seating plug like a .284 or a .277 that will fit in your seating die?

If so, it will engage your bullet ogive in a different spot and may solve your problems. This is assuming that your current plug is free of burrs...

If all checks out normal you can clean up your loaded round by spinning the bullet between your thumb and index finger with 600-1000 grit sand paper and very light pressure. Accuracy will be improved if the mark is causing fliers.

The caliber is 300 Win Mag. I am using 180gr Barnes TTSX and 200gr Nosler Partition Spitzers. I do not have any other plugs to put in the die. Do you think because the bullet is so long that it is getting seated to high in the die? I have been normally using 165 & 168gr .308 bullets which are much shorter in length. I do not get the ring marks when I seat those.

Reading this thread reminded me of the issue I was having when seating 200gr Nosler Accubonds for my 325wsm using a Foster Ultra Micrometer seating die. It would seat Barnes TSXs, Swift Aframes, and Sierra Game kings with no problem, however it would crush the tip on my Accubonds every time. Because of this thread I emailed Foster Yesterday and got a response today. They said it was the plug and to send them the die and bullet they would machine the plug or sell me a different one.

So based on what they said, it may be the bullet is too long for the seating plug causing your issue.

Copy from email.........

My question.

I purchased one of your Micrometer Ultra seating dies for my 325wsm. Every time I try to use it to seat tipped bullets, such as Nosler Accubonds or Barnes Tipped TSXs it crushes the tips. It works fine for non-tipped bullets and my RCBS seater Die seats the tipped. I bought this one because I want to use the micrometer. Please help!!! Do you have any suggestions??? Steve

Their reply....

Steve,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the issue with the 325 WSM Ultra Seater and your “tipped” bullets. Die you purchase this die set recently? We have made a change to our seating stems over the past couple of years so they do “fit” the longer tipped bullets on the market today. Perhaps your die still has one of the older stems.

You could send your stem to us with a couple of sample bullets and we can machine the stem to “fit”. There is a $7.00 machining fee plus the return shipping charge to you. Your bullets would also be returned.
    If you prefer, you can send the bullets to us and order a new J-30 stem machined to fit. This would be $8.40 for the stem plus the $7.00 machining fee plus shipping. Please include Visa or MasterCard information or a daytime phone number where we can reach you for that information. Also specify if the stem is for an Ultra Micrometer die or our standard Bench Rest seater.

Please let us know if you have any questions or need more assistance.

Regards,

Dee
    Forster Products
    310 E Lanark Ave
    Lanark IL 61046
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Wow you think Forster would fix the problem with no charge. I know RCBS would.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
    Wow you think Forster would fix the problem with no charge. I know RCBS would.
    Thats what I though as well.
    Founding Member

a bit disappointing to read, for sure,

those are some small numbers to be passing on to the customer vs. just making it all good with no mention of expense

Those RCBS stories that everyone seems to have, sure do go a long way for them
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    a bit disappointing to read, for sure,

those are some small numbers to be passing on to the customer vs. just making it all good with no mention of expense

Those RCBS stories that everyone seems to have, sure do go a long way for them
    Yes RCBS and Lee both have superb customer support, nether have been willing to take money let alone ask for it even on things destroyed by my own stupidly.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Foster will get the 7 bucks out of me because the $100.00 seating die is worthless the way it is. They will however never get anymore of my business. I bought the die last year in Feb, so to me they should upgrade what was obviously old stock. We will see how it plays out when they call for the credit card info.

The few issues I have had with RCBS stuff was handled without charge for the parts or shipping and mailed out fast.

Steve
    Founding Member

Make sure they know that when it's all said and done. Companies need to understand how to treat the customer right.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
    Make sure they know that when it's all said and done. Companies need to understand how to treat the customer right.
    You can be sure that I will give them 7 bucks worth of what I think about that, after they fix my die.

Steve
    Founding Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast