Thread: Jet Boat hunt for Moose Near Tok/Delta Jct or Glenallen

Default Jet Boat hunt for Moose Near Tok/Delta Jct or Glenallen

I am wanting to take my 10 year old son on a 7 day jet boat moose hunt up near Delta Junction, Tok or Glenallen. I have a Yamaha 18' G3 with a 90/60 jet. Unfortunea tly he did not draw a cow tag so am looking for a jet boat hunt for him. Also areas there may be a few Brownies and Blackies around too as he would love to harvest on either one. His sister did get a cow tag but he still wants to go on the jet boat hunt.

Thanks,

Should be a fun trip. Post some photos and tell us how the hunt went
    Tennessee

I am looking or needing help finding a river to go on. Any help would be great.

Go to the ADF&G website and look at the harvest information per gmu. I've read great things about the Tanana and Johnson rivers, but have absolutely no experience to help you with. Ask Vince on here. He seems quite knowledgeable.

You should look into Klutina Lake/river area. I personally dont know much about it other than moose populations are pretty high in the general area and same with the bears. brownies more so than blackies.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    You should look into Klutina Lake/river area. I personally dont know much about it other than moose populations are pretty high in the general area and same with the bears. brownies more so than blackies.
    With that boat setup, I'd avoid the Klutina river itself. It's has fast water, rapids, and a fair amount of big rocks. A little much in my opinion for that small boat with gear, and definately NOT enough power. The lake area is accessable, but the moose hunting is in thicker vegetation for the most part and the grizzlies seem to be more "assertive" up there than most other places that I've seen. No shortage of bears up there either, more brown than anything. There's also a guy who lives back there and he'll swear that he owns the entire Chugach range. He'll meet ya armed. What an blankity-blank hole!!! Good luck in your search.

What ever became of the pissing contest between the State and Ahtna over road access to Klutina Lake?

I know years ago Ahtna was blocking the road and telling everyone it was private property. I went up anyway because I knew someone who owned land on the lake, but never went back.

Has that issue been resolved?

I spent last hunting season on the river near Delta. I thought it was very crowded, even ran into some guys from Juneau hunting on the river. Nice guys but it surprised me people would travel that far to hunt in Delta. (I'm not sure but I don't think they got a moose)

We got our moose but we didn’t see many. In two weeks we saw maybe 5 cows and 2 bulls.

Plan on getting away from the boat launch, with the people missile defense and pogo mine has brought in the hunting pressure has gone up quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    Plan on getting away from the boat launch, with the people missile defense and pogo mine has brought in the hunting pressure has gone up quite a bit.
    What is wrong with the people that Missile defense and pogo bring in? We just want to hunt too! I have trouble with all the hunters from Los Anchorage coming up here more than others from the local area. Just drive down coal mine road on opening day of moose season and check out the motor homes. Running the rivers in a boat would be much better.

I would definitly stay away from klutina lake if you are wanting to actually kill a moose been there many times and have only seen a few moose and never in the fall. If you want a great camping trip and to kill a bear then that is where you want to go. Lots of bears around the lake until late season when they move up high to eat berries.

Heck Steve_O, whens the last time you have been on a river around here. Camp on every coner. LOL don't send anymore our way ( river runers)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_O View Post
    What is wrong with the people that Missile defense and pogo bring in? We just want to hunt too! I have trouble with all the hunters from Los Anchorage coming up here more than others from the local area. Just drive down coal mine road on opening day of moose season and check out the motor homes. Running the rivers in a boat would be much better.
    Hi Steve,
    Did say anything was wrong with it, just stating fact and trying to give akarrows an idea of what to expect.

I lived in Delta for 15 years; most of the people that moved in were real nice. (Except for the group that took over my moose hunting tree stand and then proceeded to tell me that was their tree stand and they had hunted there for years.)

We left because it was getting too crowded for us. Not anyone’s fault, just our desire to live remote. Besides, I bet most of the folks moving to Delta, (especially the wives), think they are living pretty remote in Delta!

The rivers around Tok get hit VERY HARD during moose season. Lots of private land also, so make sure you have a land map with you as they will charge you with tresspassing and they do patrol the rivers in these parts. Moose populations suck, but anyone can get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Heck Steve_O, whens the last time you have been on a river around here. Camp on every coner. LOL don't send anymore our way ( river runers)
    Shhh, I'm trying to get them out of my areas. Maybe they can put one of them motorhomes on a flat bottom boat and go up a remote river.. :O

Thank you for all of your help on places to go as this hunt is for my 10 year old and hopefully his first chance a Moose. I am not hte person who will tell anyone about secret spots as I have been burned myself in the past and take information given to me and only share it with the person who gave it to me in th first place. Agian thanks for everything and I have one additional question how is the Salcha river for a moose caribou and bear hunt for the boy.
    Thanks in advance!

just go up there and take a scouting trip if you want to hunt that area, then expect to see 10 times the amount of people as you will see in the summer