Thread: Not "DTR", whats wrong?????

Default Not "DTR", whats wrong?????

Well, now I am in a delimma......FMJ's are only "Wounding ammo"
    323, whatta ya think?......7.62X54r is pretty much a kids round.....

Theres nothing worse than a Wounded Ptarmigan....and I actually , foolishly perhaps, chased him into that willow thicket, till he charged me, and I DLP'd his ***.

Once again, Im deep in the Alders, hair on my neck standing, loaded for .................

Go'head, click on it, it's a vid..
    So what do I need to make myself a better Hunter? Cammo? a tree stand? should I talk with a Alabama drawl?? or just grow a beard and wear sunglasses? do 20 gauge shells work in a 12 gauge and can I just shoot out the one stuck in the chamber?

Lighten up, smile, be happy......Ya, they are old pictures, but I hope you found yer sense of Humor ~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

By making yourself a "better" hunter I assume you already consider yourself a good one?? If not and you are wanting to learn, I would suggest you give soft nose hunting bullets a try, sure FMJ will kill things but not as efficiently, then you might try another method besides riding around on a snow go shooting stuff. Real hunters believe in fair chase, other methods are a means of killing stuff and really have nothing to do with hunting.

He needs FMJ ammo. The rabbits in his neck of the woods wear body armour. And besides he only has about 6 cases of FMJ ammo for that old beat up rifle.It has dumped more animals than most of us have seen. AND it feeds his whole family year in and out.
    HE's yanking your chain.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Ok, I got a chuckle out of that , Stranger, I know where it comes from.

I am going to attempt to put a few things in perspective, which you and others, may or may not realize. So, hopefully, no one takes this wrong.

Stranger, you are in a fairly unique and exceptional situation in that economically you have to give greater consideration to the tools you utilize ;ammo, firearms, machines, dog team etc., and glean the optimum from them, and culturaly, the methods as means of subsistance on a routine basis when, few of those who view this forum do not participate in ,or may not even understand.

Those circumstances put you in yet another situation which continualy hones your skills as an outdoorsman, hunter, fisher, trapper, gatherer and marskman. These are things that we (those of us living the typical city life, if you will) do not get to pursue regularly, thus, we do what we can when we can, on the weekend, or vacation/hunting seasons; whenever we can. Of those of us who fall into this category (being limited to time afield and at the range) some may tend to lean on technology a bit heavier perhaps, in order to gain an edge and/or confidence that may yield the best desired result.

I have been told I am a pretty good shot with a rifle and pistol, and from personal experience and observation I think it is true, though I am nothing special. I know a few people I cannot hold a candle to when it comes to marksmanship, one in particular, vietnam veteran and good friend who was stationed on Kodiak once upon a time, hunted brown bears with a .223 and earhole shot placement. Now that is exceptional in a few ways, it takes a particular kind of person to be willing attempt that, it also takes a **** good shot. I am confident that your marskmanship skills are exceptional as well, they have to be for all the practice you get by providing for your family.

Additionaly, with as many animals as you have taken over the years there are bound to be a % that just do not play nice and you are forced to get after them in bushes. Once again, I think, this gives you a huge leg up in the experience department, at least that is my perception. This is what gets the conversations going on "What's the best caliber ?" kind of threads.

You may have no qualms about pursuing the great bears of Kodiak with Moisin Nagant or a .308, but someone like me feels much more comfortable and confident using .338WM or .375HH or a .45-70Govt., now those calibers are not going to kill a bear any more dead of course, but they do give someone like me confidence that if something unexpected happens, I may be better able to handle it.

Your experience and practice, I think, gives you a confidence and ability that many of us wish we had.

I enjoy your posts, perspective and sense of humor, Stranger. I hope my 2cents sheds a little light on 1 or 2 people who read this forum.

Hell stranger as long as it works for you... You see they deleted my thread wth... Would I use fmj no cause I'm here in wasilla would I use fmj if I lived in stranger part of the world hell yeah...

I just got my first SKS sense 1968,now if I can just find lots of ball.We have one box of Remington in town thats SP and thirty bucks for twenty rounds.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Well if that sarcasm didnt make ya chuckle, then I guess I cant help ~~LOL!!~~

Often, as we know, theres just too much fun to be had in this world to get in a rut, mad and disjointed over a forum on Hunting.
    Theres something for everybody, and if it dosent fit our view, we can make crap up.~~LOL!!~~

Smile and git yer Hunt on!

There are numerous folk in Strangers area that are weekend warriors. There are jobs in rural Ak. and many of us choose to be employed. Stranger is not that different than those in Urbana, he has just chosen to use hunting on a more full time basis than most of us. I suspect a similiar lifestyle to Strangers could be lived in the road system areas of Alaska, tho one would likely have to travel farther afield to do his hunting.
    I fail to see the need for fair chase when one is hunting for sustenance. I can see the reason for fair chase when your hunting for a mount. Tho I am confused just what it is about the human species that gives us an advantage that requires us to be "fair" when we enter the field.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I fail to see the need for fair chase when one is hunting for sustenance. I can see the reason for fair chase when your hunting for a mount. Tho I am confused just what it is about the human species that gives us an advantage that requires us to be "fair" when we enter the field.
    Humans are the ONLY species of predator that have the "NEED" to be fair. Every other species of predator just kills its desired prey in any manner it can with any method it desires. There is no advantage to being fair to your prey, the "fair" is designed to allow the less accomplished hunters an even chance to find a game animal as well; They make the rules not the animals.
    The term vegetarian, was coined by failed hunters.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post

Well said - I have no problem shooting a moose beside the road or next to a river and I really don't know what is fair about shooting it with a big game rifle. It is not about fainess it is about putting food in the freezer.

Well, there is a bit of a difference...

Hunting for "Sport", "Trophys" and "Size" is akin to true Hunting, that of hunting of Food.

Therefore subsistance hunting is better compared to a slaughter house, where a quick human kill, total use of all products the animal offers as well as cleanliness and care for the food at hand.

What if the Butcher in a supermarket had kill all Beef for the market in "Fairchase "???? ~~LOL!!~~ Wouldnt that be cool?? I'd love to shoot Cows down........

I see nothing wrong with using a truck, boat, Jet, snogo, small plane, ATV , dogsled, horses or such to arrive at the Hunt, either...... I think we ALL use transpo......~~LOL!!~~

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Theres nothing worse than a Wounded Ptarmigan....and I actually , foolishly perhaps, chased him into that willow thicket, till he charged me, and I DLP'd his ***.
    My hats off to you for pursuing the wounded animal and dispatching it - You are a brave man!

I'm not brave, Raven, just under gunned and scared........

Ive applied for a new permit to deal with the swarms of rabbits that are threating the extinction of our River Willows, Im going Class 4 and buying a "Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch".
    Following Sir Athors lead, I shall vanquish the Bunny Hordes and re-establish Beer Barrel Polk nights at the local radio station, where I will broadcast special messages to vagrant lost Salmon fisherman who have wandered North, before the next King Run in Kenai.....

I'll let you know with a post Blast report, pending law enforcement sign off on my application........

Shouldn't that be "DRT" rather than "DTR"?

"Dead there, right?" is the proper term before sending your hunting pal into the bushes while you cove 'em from back here.....

It's done with a quick nod, a wink of the eye and a long held breath till there outta sight and you can finnaly take that impending piss,,,,,,,, ~~LOL!!~~

I like it. May have to try that one sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    "Dead there, right?" is the proper term before sending your hunting pal into the bushes while you cove 'em from back here.....

It's done with a quick nod, a wink of the eye and a long held breath till there outta sight and you can finnaly take that impending piss,,,,,,,, ~~LOL!!~~