Thread: looking for good tent camping north of anchorage

Default looking for good tent camping north of anchorage

The wife and i have covered most of the tent camping south of anchorage, the kenai, seward area, homer. Looking to head north this summer. We like places that are mostly tent camping, and not asking for any hidden secret spots but we like to fish as well. any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

South Rolly is nice. It's in the Nancy Lake State Rec Area. The sites are nice and private and are set up for tents or RVs. There is a lake right at the campground and a canoe rental place. There are several lakes around and a canoe trail to connect them so you can fish. My husband also like to fish. We liked the hike from the campground to Red Shirt Lake. about 3 miles. There are canoes there that we took out to fish. There are also state cabins on the lakes out there and you could probably camp too. I remember seeing a self made campsite on one of the little islands in Red Shirt Lake. Have fun camping this summer!

Eagle River Valley is nice - the symphony lakes trail is often busy but there are trails that spur off that would have you pretty much alone. Up in Meadow Creek Valley it's pretty nice too- it's work to get there, so you're often alone there also.

The area around Buffalo Mine / Eska Falls has some really pretty areas to camp out also.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Try Susitna Landing at mile 82 on the Parks Highway. State owned and privately run campground on the Kashwintna River. Really nice facililty and great salmon fishing in season.

Nabesna Road in the Wrangells, a little far but the most beautiful place I have been. All kinds of lakes and ponds to fish and back pack your heart out.

Wife and I are heading to Tangle Lakes in a couple weeks. I've never been on that side of the Denali Highway and we wanted to check it out before we take the kids there. I'll report back about it (with pics) after our trip.

Please do report back. I am curious as to the status of the ice on the lake...how close it is to going out.

Thanks

You know how I am able to take 10 days off in july....14 days in august and then 14 in september. having access to the internet. Without having that access I get to stay in town.....I have an air card from GCI. I check my email when I get back to camp. It is pretty good. had it almost 3 years now.....Unlimited usage instate where ever you get cell service. Laugh if you want but it beats the hell out of not being able to fish. Plus I can jump on here once or twice to brag and show pics.

Now I have my Iphone too so look out world
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Lake Louise goes out 1 year in 4 by Memorial Day. Before driving up to Tangle, I would ask one of the lodges if the lakes up there are open. With fuel prices going up, it may save you some bucks. This year, I would predict that Lake Louise will go out about 4 June and Tangle lakes a few days after..... but you never know for sure. Good luck in your ventures.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    You know how I am able to take 10 days off in july....14 days in august and then 14 in september. having access to the internet. Without having that access I get to stay in town.....I have an air card from GCI. I check my email when I get back to camp. It is pretty good. had it almost 3 years now.....Unlimited usage instate where ever you get cell service. Laugh if you want but it beats the hell out of not being able to fish. Plus I can jump on here once or twice to brag and show pics.

Now I have my Iphone too so look out world
    You Sir are SPOILT ROTTEN!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Lake Louise goes out 1 year in 4 by Memorial Day. Before driving up to Tangle, I would ask one of the lodges if the lakes up there are open. With fuel prices going up, it may save you some bucks. This year, I would predict that Lake Louise will go out about 4 June and Tangle lakes a few days after..... but you never know for sure. Good luck in your ventures.
    Good info, thank you. I have never been up there in May, so I really was not sure what to expect.

Default Tangle Lakes Campground

Quote Originally Posted by J2theD View Post
    Please do report back. I am curious as to the status of the ice on the lake...how close it is to going out.

Thanks
    My wife and I were able to camp at the Tangle Lakes Campground 5/20 thru 5/22. This is a great place! There was still snow on the ground and ice on the lakes but I was able to fish a little in the Tangle River and from the shore of the Upper Tangle Lake.

I posted more info about the ice conditions in another thread (with pics.) Click Here.

A surveyor stopped thru and mentioned that half of the campground is going to be closed for new construction starting 5/23. I'm definately camping there again.

Quote Originally Posted by monk2015 View Post
    The wife and i have covered most of the tent camping south of anchorage, the kenai, seward area, homer. Looking to head north this summer. We like places that are mostly tent camping, and not asking for any hidden secret spots but we like to fish as well. any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Did you check out Palmer Creek road? Its south of Anchorage. Or Captain Cook Park north of Kenai? How about the road up to Exit Glacier? Those are three of my favorite public campgrounds that most people miss when visiting the Kenai Peninsula.

Oh! I forgot about all the campgrounds on Skilak Lake road, those are some of the more interesting on the Pen, and another good one is the one at the outlet of Tustumena Lake. (even better if you have a boat)

One of my favorite places to camp north of Anchorage is Hatchers Pass. There are lots of places to camp, ya just gotta find one that has the things you like most. See if you can find the Dave Churchill trail, the trail head is a nice place to camp, right on the creek, and the hike to the top of the "mountain" isn't bad either. Petersville is also awesome for tent camping, especially if you have wheelers.